Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2016, 12:33 AM   #1

Spartan Chassis
Length Restrictions Class A RV - National Parks/State Parks

Class A Newmar - Looking at 40 & 43 foot Newmars - will there be many places I cannot get in with the 43 vs 40 rv? What are the length limits in most National and State Parks in general. I realize I may find private campgrounds around national parks that I can get in.
glester99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2016, 04:20 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Hello and We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. I am sure you will enjoy our website and forums. Good luck, stay safe and keep us posted.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 05:57 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome! The bigger the coach the more limitations of course. Many national ans state parks will have published max lengths but should be taken more as a revommendation than requirement, and are not nessisarily correct. We are able to get out 40' coach into most anywhere we want.

Btw, the search feature here will find you multiple threads on this topic.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 06:23 AM   #4

I went from a 38' Beaver to our new 43' Entegra. Maneuverability in tight quarters is not necessarily all about total length. The wheel base is more of a measure for this. For example a 40' single axle that has a long overhang behind the rear axle can be backed into a tight site better than a 42' tandem axle which is only 2 feet longer. Just something to consider.

As far as parks are concerned, when you step up to a tandem axle rig most national and state parks were built for rv sizes 50 years ago. They may have a few big rig sites, but for most parks you will be staying in nearby commercial parks. That is just the way it is.
Tall Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 09:23 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Yes there will be some issues going to a longer than 40' coach. We have found that many of the commercial cg's have the same problems. We use google to do a visual and just plain call ahead. Most cg's will have a safe site for you.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 09:37 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
We prefer the heavily wooded environments of state parks, and tend to stay at them as we travel. The downside, is the roads can be narrow and winding, usually only have 30 amp service (or 20), water, but no sewer. That works fine for us.

Published max lengths seem to be 35 feet, but I've seen longer coaches and have never seen anyone measuring a coach to prevent entering the park. Although the roads can be winding, I don't think they are unpassable if you are careful. In my opinion, the hardest part will be maneuvering into the campsite due to narrow road width and inappropriate tree locations hindering the cut into the site.

All but one that I remember would be long enough for a 45 footer, and that one I stayed in was published as a 30' max (I'm 35'), which I took as it was the only available spot left. It WAS short.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 09:42 AM   #7

bring a tree branch trimmer!
I'm only 32' and it has come in handy
gatorb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:20 AM   #8

We've never used a tree trimmer.

With our 40' motorhome we've stayed in national parks, state parks, national forest campgrounds, Corp of Engineers, county and city parks.

No...you won't fit in all of the parks but you'll have plenty of choices.

We've stayed in Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Glacier, Zion, Bryce, Big Bend and many, many others. Public parks are always our first choice - national forest campgrounds a favorite. On a all-summer trip to Alaska we only used a handful of private parks - mainly for dumping our tanks. The rest were public parks or awesome boondocking areas.

You'd have much better luck with a 40' rather than a 43' even though it seems like such a small difference. I will say you'll have better luck in the Midwest to West rather than the far eastern states.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:27 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorb8 View Post
bring a tree branch trimmer!
I'm only 32' and it has come in handy
And illegal to use in any county, state or Federal park I've been in unless cleared with the staff.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:54 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
There's no magic length, but as you go over 30' you start being restricted. Not necessarily for the entire park, but fewer sites available. In many parks, their posted length is not strictly enforced and if you can fit it will be alright. For me, I don't like the idea of showing up at a new park and hoping for the best, so I generally use their posted guidance. I do find 40' as a common limit, but then that's the length I'm looking for.
WYRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 09:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by glester99 View Post
Class A Newmar - Looking at 40 & 43 foot Newmars - will there be many places I cannot get in with the 43 vs 40 rv? What are the length limits in most National and State Parks in general. I realize I may find private campgrounds around national parks that I can get in.

I use the posted size and drive the toad to the site before attempting to get the RV in. Many sites are big enough but the roads aren't. In general, I've found Corp Of Engineer sites/roads to be more accommodating.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:01 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
One of the issues we have ran into, is that in some public parks that don'y allow reservations, there are a limited amount of large sites and there's no regulations as to who gets them. I've seen car campers, tenters, pop-ups, and small trailers occupying the 60'+ camp sites, although there are dozens of smaller sites available.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 11:02 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
One of the issues we have ran into, is that in some public parks that don'y allow reservations, there are a limited amount of large sites and there's no regulations as to who gets them. I've seen car campers, tenters, pop-ups, and small trailers occupying the 60'+ camp sites, although there are dozens of smaller sites available.
Yup !! ...downside to first-come-first-served. But, even with a reservation system, that happens.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
... we don't understand this either. Many times the smaller sites are in prime areas of the campground. They may be tucked away in a corner which would give more privacy and on lake or river sites, they are in the prime front row.

It could be that they pull in and take the first open site they see.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, national