Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2017, 10:46 AM   #29

Three axles or more, OR towing, max 55 mph in CA.

Just yesterday, had an Amtrak bus almost rear end me at a traffic light stop, he must have been going 80 before he stopped. Physics; slow down.

I'd like a bumper sticker that said:

I'm RETIRED, what's YOUR hurry?

But I'll probably get in trouble for that....
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2017, 12:38 PM   #30

I got no dog in this fight either way. But reading the linked handbook on page 7 I would read that a Basic Class C license would permit you to drive "A 2-axle vehicle with a GVWR of 26,000 lbs or less" OR "A 3-axle vehicle weighing 6,000 lbs. gross or less." OR "A motorized scooter." OR "Any housecar 40' or less".

The last statement "Any housecar 40' or less" stands on it's own independent of the first statement "A 2-axle vehicle with a GVWR of 26,000 lbs. or less".

It seems to indicate to me that a VEHICLE and a HOUSECAR are not the same thing under CA law. It looks like some are saying that a HOUSECAR is also subject to the rules applied to a VEHICLE. I just don't see that in the handbook.

As I said, I got no dog in this fight, but that my two cents worth.

No doubt it's confusing and adding in the additional "TOWING" rules makes it even worse. I guess that's why I'll stay in TN. We have our fair share of crazy legislators but we'll be another 150 years getting the the level of crazy in states on the west coast. In the mean time, no state income tax, low cost of living, good country music, tasty bar-b-q and the Nashville Predators. What's not to love?
Old 06-10-2017, 04:03 PM   #31

Just take the test an stop the complaining. Class B test is not hard at all. California is a beautiful state and I will continue living here and not worry about tornado's.

I just registered my 38' coach which weigh's 30k and they did not say anything about me requiring a class B drivers license.

I like the emissions laws also because I have seen how ugly it used to be when these smog emitting engines were so bad that driving down Cajon Pass you could not even see the city of S.B. The air was so bad to breath in and causing illnesses to your lungs. These people complaining about going green are the same small group that want to take us back to grass roots.

Just stay out of California.
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 04:10 PM   #32

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Appears the CHP gave you the straight scoop on the law. 10-4
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 04:16 PM   #33

There was a time when seat belts were considered dangerous, people said "I'd rather be thrown clear in an accident," I don't think the numbers would back up that claim. Much as I like classic cars, I don't want to end up behind one at a traffic light.

As far as I can tell, there are no NEW laws on this in CA, maybe more are aware of it, but nothing new. And no crackdown, as far as I can tell.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 08:03 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
I got no dog in this fight either way. But reading the linked handbook on page 7 I would read that a Basic Class C license would permit you to drive "A 2-axle vehicle with a GVWR of 26,000 lbs or less" OR "A 3-axle vehicle weighing 6,000 lbs. gross or less." OR "A motorized scooter." OR "Any housecar 40' or less".

The last statement "Any housecar 40' or less" stands on it's own independent of the first statement "A 2-axle vehicle with a GVWR of 26,000 lbs. or less".

It seems to indicate to me that a VEHICLE and a HOUSECAR are not the same thing under CA law. It looks like some are saying that a HOUSECAR is also subject to the rules applied to a VEHICLE. I just don't see that in the handbook.

As I said, I got no dog in this fight, but that my two cents worth.

No doubt it's confusing and adding in the additional "TOWING" rules makes it even worse.
This is the correct interpretation of the law, which hasn't changed recently. This is how the CHP sees it based on court decisions.

Don is also correct. The CHP has been concentrating overlength and overweight enforcement on the roads between LA and Glamis.

And yes, the CA towing laws suck.

Edit: I would never take a DMV tech's word. They like to be authoritative, but are not the authority.
RubiconTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 10:35 AM   #35
TR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post

It seems to indicate to me that a VEHICLE and a HOUSECAR are not the same thing under CA law. It looks like some are saying that a HOUSECAR is also subject to the rules applied
I agree with holenwald48, if the first line said "any 2 axle vehicle with a GVWR of 26,000 lbs., you would need the B license.

Bill
Old 06-11-2017, 09:05 PM   #36

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
Three axles or more, OR towing, max 55 mph in CA.

Just yesterday, had an Amtrak bus almost rear end me at a traffic light stop, he must have been going 80 before he stopped. Physics; slow down.

I'd like a bumper sticker that said:

I'm RETIRED, what's YOUR hurry?

But I'll probably get in trouble for that....
Actually there are no speed restrictions on vehicles with three or more axles, unless they're towing. They are subject to other restrictions, but speed is not one of them. California DMV Speed Limits
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 09:46 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
Actually there are no speed restrictions on vehicles with three or more axles, unless they're towing. They are subject to other restrictions, but speed is not one of them. California DMV Speed Limits

Three axle trucks are limited to 55, towing or not.
Commercial trucks have different rules, just like housecars have their own rules such as license requirements determined by overall length and not weight.
So confusing that even the DMV doesn't know.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:40 PM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
The fun part of this discussion is understanding the meaning of what they are talking about.
According to my State of California Vehicle Code book.
362. Housecar is defined as " a motor vehicle originally designed, or permanently altered, and equipped for human habitation. A housecar shall not be deemed to be a motortruck."
415. Motor vehicle is defined as " (c) for purposes of Chapter 6 (commencing with Section 3000) of Division 2, "motor vehicle" includes a recreational vehicle as that term is defined in subdivision (a) of Section 18010 of the Health and Safety code, but does not include a truck camper."

It is always clear as mud here in California. a 150 cc motor scooter is actually legal on the freeways out here. The problem is some manufacturers claim the scooter is a 150, but it actually only has 146 cc's, thus making it a motor driven cycle, and illegal to run on the freeway. Growing up here, the CHP wanted the scooter to be at least 15 horsepower. The new imported Chinese made 150's put out about 8. (I wouldn't be on the freeway with a Putt-Putt anyway, but I brought this up just to show how vague some of the rules are around here.)
Railhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 11:07 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
Yes, towing ANYTHING = MAX 55MPH.

BUT, for several type vehicles including those with more than 2 axles, the 55 max applies too - see VC 22406:
Law section

I submit that if someone goes to apply for a Class B driver's license with a RV 40 FEET or less in length, that during the on-road test, the DMV inspector will decline the test because the vehicle does not meet the eligibility to qualify for the test (not over 40 feet).
That will be a real test.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 11:29 PM   #40

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Yes, towing ANYTHING = MAX 55MPH.

BUT, for several type vehicles including those with more than 2 axles, the 55 max applies too - see VC 22406:
Law section

I submit that if someone goes to apply for a Class B driver's license with a RV 40 FEET or less in length, that during the on-road test, the DMV inspector will decline the test because the vehicle does not meet the eligibility to qualify for the test (not over 40 feet).
That will be a real test.
I stand corrected, at least partially I think. I have to admit I was thinking about passenger buses and tag axle motor coaches, not three axle trucks.

I do a lot of driving in CA and the three axle buses are always blowing by me as I'm towing. Hardly ever by a tag axle coach as they're usually also towing.

I don't see buses, other than school buses, or tag (three) axle coaches listed in the link you posted, so it would seem they are exempt from the restriction.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 01:24 AM   #41

The handbook DMV puts out is a summary of law and defensive driving. To determine if there were an LAW changes, requires going to the code itself.
This is the current law regarding the noncommercial class B license for operators of housecoats and it had no 2017 change.
Law section

Scarab0088 has posted ACCURATE information. Should anyone challenge it, please go to the http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes and read away.

I don't want to be to redundant, but it does appear someone has confused the 26,000 lb cap on a Class C license without considering the Housecar exclusion.

DMV clerks are very good with topics they deal with frequently. Many are not so dealing with noncommercial driver licenses. And while I'm not an expert in all aspects of the CVC, I have taught this topic in a basic police academy for over 30 years. Drive safe and enjoy your RV.
Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:30 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKenna View Post
Scarab0088..soon, by years end I was told. When we were at the dealer yesterday shopping around, one Tech., did in fact mention the changes coming and that he even had to get Class B to work there since he test drives, etc. MH in question. Tiffin Rep. said is was BS and a Class C was fine until I showed him what I found online..then he was speechless, very much as I was today after a almost 45 min conversation with DMV. We covered mass majority of MH owners of age and retired..yes, some even medical conditions that may or may not allow them to pass the Medical portion of a Class B..no matter, new rules.We had 2 Phaetons to look at this coming weekend in Corona..when it comes to the weight..we are looking at other options. Fact is, it's going to affect 5th wheels, TT's, all of us. I also confirmed this with our local CHP office..same answer. I was told that if pulled over, they are now seeing if you are in compliance. They will measure with a tow car, without tow car and check to see if you have proper license for weight..huge fines> SH** Storm I say. So, basically, we all take our chances unless pulled over, accident, minor fender bender, minor infraction caught by law enforement ie turn signal, etc or getting pull to the road or waived into Weigh Station..SH** Storm

Please share with what you found online, as you have stated above. My current housecar is under 40ft, but I want to make the appointment to get my license to stay legal. I might need documentation to share with the DMV in case they are unaware. My new housecar is on order and it is over 40ft, so I might as well get it out of the way and take the test with my current housecar.

Tags
weight