Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2016, 01:34 PM   #1

Less Expensive Tires

Anyone have experience with less expensive tires. A tire like toyo or hankook, versus goodyear or michelins.
Carhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2016, 01:50 PM   #2

A Toyo is a premium tire in the same quality and price range as a Michelin, Bridgestone, Goodyear.... etc... Toyo has made excellent movement and progress into the HD truck market.... Hankook is now standard on some cars... which leads me to believe that the quality has come up over the past few years...
Old 11-10-2016, 01:56 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Have had Hankooks for almost 3 years. No problems or sidewall cracking. Ride and handling are fine.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 03:04 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
My Experience with less expensive tires

Here is my experience with less expensive tires. I have had Hankook, Bridgestone, Carlyle, and Samson. Both ST tires for Travel trailers, and 5th wheels. RV tires for Motor Homes. I never had a problem or blow out with the less expensive tires. The only Problems I've had with tires were all american made both ST for trailers (Goodyear), and RV tires for motor homes (Goodyear and Michelin). My Samson tires have given me good service at 1/3 the cost of Michelin or Goodyear.
Mel
Old 11-10-2016, 03:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemert View Post
Have had Hankooks for almost 3 years. No problems or sidewall cracking. Ride and handling are fine.
X2 but 4 years.
Old 11-10-2016, 05:42 PM   #6

An old friend that worked at a different RV dealership then I did said that a few of his customers went to Sumitomo tires and were happy with the price and performance. He put a set on his Adventure and had the same results. I went for 6 on my Journey and really like the results! Oh ya and the price. They look great and run smooth and quiet. 4 Years now and a trip to California and who knows how many trips to Florida and still no complaints.
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 06:26 PM   #7

hercules
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 07:05 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We had General- Continental tires on last coach & felt no difference from original tires that came with coach from factory. Very smooth & quiet.
Previous: 2010 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
fsudelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 07:51 PM   #9

More than happy with my Toyos!
Old 11-10-2016, 08:03 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I really don't see the need to spend the extra dollars to put Michelin or Goodyear on my coach when they will only have 20, 000 or so miles on them when I need to replace them.
I run Michelin on my cars and use them till they are worn out so it makes them more viable but then again I could probably get the same mileage from another brand for less money.

Many other brands are just as good or maybe better for less money.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:15 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have about 30,000 miles on my 4+ years old Toyo's. Purchased from Les Schwab August 2012. Very happy with price and performance.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 08:27 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
Yokohamas on the front, Generals on the back. Saved $1600 over Michelins on the FMHC deal. 20,000+ miles and 2 years later, no problems with ride or anything else.
Old 11-11-2016, 12:01 AM   #13

No experience with Toyo, but the Bounder is running Double Coin tires from Les Schwab, which is their economy alternative. They seem to perform as good as anything I have had. For the real economy minded, you can do what I did. Took all the wheels off and drove to the tire store and had them mounted. Schwab discounted my tires $100 which worked out to $110 savings when you calculate the saved sales tax. I like to do maintenance at tire change time anyway and prefer to mount my own wheels, to avoid improper procedure. Improper mounting leads to rotor thickness variation pulsation, which most describe as warp.
I recently changed the original rotors on the Bounder after 200k miles. They had slight thickness variation but were too thin to turn, only .010 over minimum. I drive in the mountains a lot.
Yeah, Double Coin tires are okay. Have Toyo on the pickup and they perform well also.

P.S. An article of interest about wheel mounting.

http://www.hendonpub.com/resources/a...etails?id=1787
Steady_Rest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 12:07 AM   #14
JFN

Toyo AT's on Dodge 2500 second set and I have Toyo on my Dodge 1500 the only problem I had was a set of HT's due to a recall. Hercules on trailer probably 10K miles and no problems.
JFN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires