Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2012, 06:30 PM   #1

Lesson Learned!!

As you can see from my name info, I live in Biloxi, Ms. We are currently going through the east side of Hurricane Isaac. Been having some nasty weather here since yesterday. Rain, Rain, and 50-70 mph wind gusts.

Well guess what the "ole dummy" here did? Forgot about the RV being plugged into house power! About 1pm we had a huge power surge. You know the kind, power off, power on, 2 or 3 times then off. Got power restored about 3 hours later.

Started checking stuff..Microwave in house shot, bedroom tv shot, house portable phones base shot. And, then it hit me! RV is plugged in!! Off I go into the driving rain out to the RV. Begin my testing..Front TV shot, living area tv shot (brand new 32" Toshibas). Looks like I got off lucky. Everything else looks like its working, maybe. Still have not checked the converter. Cranked genset and tested transfer switch, seems to be working ok.

Lesson Learned...unplug the RV when on house power and bad weather. Since I was at home, needless to say, I did not have the surge protector hooked up....another lesson learned!!!

Has not been a good day...

Almost forgot...wind grabbed RV door and broke off the door closer!!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2012, 06:43 PM   #2

I think what y'all are having is a little more than bad weather. Every time we have a lightning storm I say o crap the MH is plugged in, I hope the surg protector works.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:43 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As bad as it is, it could have been a lot worse. You lost "stuff" and you lived to fight another day. All of you in that part of the country are in our thoughts and prayers. Be safe and be blessed.
Marriage is a relationship in which one is always right and the other is the husband
new2RVn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:54 PM   #4

Sorry to hear about the equipment damage. I unplugged mine last night while the weather was still pretty rough. Any recommendations on what type and brand surge protector to purchase?
Gary D., Gulfport, MS
gary darsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:00 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
We have had a few storms this year, but never thought twice about the motorhome...we have a built in surge protector, does that cover me or am I putting too much confidence in the SureGuard?
TxRVMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Lesson Learned...unplug the RV when on house power and bad weather. Since I was at home, needless to say, I did not have the surge protector hooked up....another lesson learned!!!
Perhaps another consideration. Whole house surge supressors are normally available from utility companies for a few dollars a month. We have had them in three states and they have saved us several times. Our stick and brick in Florida has had three replaced after sacrificing themselves after seeing the same kind of power surges you did when power was in the process of being restored after tropical storm systems went through.

Good luck in getting your stuff repaired/replaced.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:41 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I would get a Progressive Industries surge protector--either 30 amp or 50 amp whatever you RV has. As an example, my Tiffin Open Road 32CA has a surge guard/transfer switch rated at about 1850joules. I purchased a portable 50 amp Progressive Industries surge protector rated at 3580joules. I plug it into the campground power pedestal then plug in power cord. It checks for much more than just power surges. Much better than losing a lot of your electronics!
cutrell01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:33 AM   #8

Thank you for the suggestions. It's appreciated.
Gary D., Gulfport, MS
gary darsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:48 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by awwall View Post
As you can see from my name info, I live in Biloxi, Ms. We are currently going through the east side of Hurricane Isaac. Been having some nasty weather here since yesterday. Rain, Rain, and 50-70 mph wind gusts.

Well guess what the "ole dummy" here did? Forgot about the RV being plugged into house power! About 1pm we had a huge power surge. You know the kind, power off, power on, 2 or 3 times then off. Got power restored about 3 hours later.

Started checking stuff..Microwave in house shot, bedroom tv shot, house portable phones base shot. And, then it hit me! RV is plugged in!! Off I go into the driving rain out to the RV. Begin my testing..Front TV shot, living area tv shot (brand new 32" Toshibas). Looks like I got off lucky. Everything else looks like its working, maybe. Still have not checked the converter. Cranked genset and tested transfer switch, seems to be working ok.

Has not been a good day...

Almost forgot...wind grabbed RV door and broke off the door closer!!!
Sorry to hear of your troubles, hopefully your insurance will help you out. I have the TRC SurgeGuard and it saved me twice last month. I always use it both on the road and when hooked up at home. Best money I ever spent. Hope it all works out for you.
Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Maddawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:04 AM   #10

Sorry to hear of so much damage Gary I hope your insurance covers it all. Jzick I did not know that power companies have whole house surge protectors I will check to see if DTE has them in MI. Thanks for the tip.
Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:09 AM   #11

RV is always plugged into elec. with the surge protector. Everywhere, anywhere. May have already saved our butt.
Chandler Bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:13 AM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutrell01 View Post
I would get a Progressive Industries surge protector--either 30 amp or 50 amp whatever you RV has. As an example, my Tiffin Open Road 32CA has a surge guard/transfer switch rated at about 1850joules. I purchased a portable 50 amp Progressive Industries surge protector rated at 3580joules. I plug it into the campground power pedestal then plug in power cord. It checks for much more than just power surges. Much better than losing a lot of your electronics!

I also have the Progressive Industries surge protector.
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:36 AM   #13

Hi Awall, Hope things are looking up for you.
I found this thread interesting. I have just purchased and in the process of installing a Progressive 50A hard Wired Surge Protector with remote readout. After research on iRV2, I decided on the Progressive.
From what I read here, it sounds like a good investment. Certainly less than the cost of a new TV.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:55 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Is that surge protector like most where once it's zapped it offers less protection ?!?!