Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2014, 10:41 AM   #15

SeattlePirat - You mentioned owning a Rexhall, that's what I own (bought used last November, 1997 Rexhall Rexair Series M-SL3100 (Widebody) 32') The tire size is 235-85-16 and I'm looking to buy 6 new tires.

I'm seeing ALL sorts of info but to be honest..just very confused. When I talk with our local Perfection Tire guy, he's saying to buy Hankook or Coopers as they are local here in the west so if I had any issues while on the road they would be easy to replace and match. Good idea? Here's the deatils on them:

Hankook DynaPro HT RH12: Hankook DynaPro HT RH12 Tire Review & Rating

Or

Cooper Discoverer A/T3:
Cooper Discoverer A/T3 Tire Review & Rating

Another idea I've seen floating around is buy 4 good tires for the dualy's in the back and 2 REALLY GOOD tires for the front as they are the sterring tires. Is that a good plan? How does that affect tire roatation schemes?

Sigh..

Maybe what I REALLY need is just someone local who KNOWS about RV's and can point me in the right direction without me having to worry about them trying to up sell me on something I don't need. Anyone know of someone like that in the Spokane WA or Coeur de'Alene ID area?

Thanks inadvance.

Paul

TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2014, 05:03 PM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wheels get turned around when they are rotated to the rear of the coach which probably explains the DOT being on the inside.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:22 PM   #17

Cutiefac our tire size is 275/70r22.5. They are 520 including FET useing the FMCA discount. Mounting is a 335.00.

All the Japanese and Korean tires were about 3000.00 give or take.

I did like Toyo, but they do not make a 275 tire. I know ppl change tire size, but I would just as soon keep the size Freightliner put on the coach.

Trimoot. I dont know what to say except shop shop shop. I probably would have gone Hercules for the coach except the wife said go middle of the road. The really important thing is load rating. Make sure you get the load rating that is recommended for your coach.

Our coach is kept out of the sun and weather when not on the road.

The tire that blew out on our Rexhall was General. They were cracked alot but we knew nothing in those days about cracked side walls or loading. I would recommend reading everything you can on loading and tire pressure.

You likely will never put enough miles on your coach to wear the tread out, they will age out.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:16 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Seattle, thanks for the information, I too am keeping the same size and load rating. My Dynasty weighs out at 30,000.lbs loaded so I will keep the h load range front and rear.
CutieFac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:24 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
I replaced mine at 8 years old with only 3500 miles! They looked brand new. It hurt but I felt much better as our first trip was through the desert. I did kept one as an unmounted spare.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:24 AM   #20

*** Update****

Well, to complete this thread, well, maybe not complete it but update it with a decision I'm about to make on tires.

I've looked and researched and 'think' I've decided on these tires for my Rexhall 32' Class A motor home:

Hercules H-901 - 235/85 R16
Here's a link to the info:http://www.herculestire.com/posts/20...ht-truck-tire/

This is a 14 ply tire so I'm hoping the ride will be okay. Since it's so new I am having a hard time finding any reviews of it. If ANYONE you know has heard anything good or bad please let me know as I'm planning on ordering these on Monday, the 21st.

The good news is my local tire shop here in Spokane, Perfection Tire, has them right in town! And of course I've asked them to check the DOM code on them to be sure they are as new as possible. I wonder if they would order newer ones if these are too old? Oh, and what is too old? 6 Months? 1 Year? In my mind, if they are 3 months old then that's okay....right? And all the date codes have to match. (See I'm learning!)

So thanks for everyone's input and I will respond to the other items I've asked about (gas gauge, fridge, etc) when I get to them.

I do love the community here and greatly appreciate everyone's input!

Oh..as far as price, on-line those tires are $162.99 a piece and shipping was $169, so it comes out to $1146.92 if I order on-line and then who knows how much for mounting and balancing them. Through Perfection, out the door price is $1356.00 for 6 of them, so the difference is $210 which when you figure having to pay for mounting and balancing them, it's pretty much a wash and I wanted to pay back the local shop for their great service to me and my 3 kids who have used them for various issues.

So all in all, I'm happy....as long as the 14 ply tire gives us a good ride.

Thanks guys!
TriMoot
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 12:29 PM   #21

I've read some reviews of their tires for SUVs and they speak highly of them. If I get a LandCruiser I'd put em on it. I believe they are made by Cooper in the US...
UncleBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 02:46 PM   #22

Hi Keith,

I'm glad to hear you purchased new tires. I just replaced mine, all six Toyo 265/75 R 22.5 series 154. I went through a lot of searching and the members here are quite helpful. I found there is a huge shortage of RV tires in the US. Les Schwab has a good selection of TOYO with new stickers. Mine were all within 90 days of date of purchase. Make sure you check the speed rating on what ever tire you buy, you don't want a tire with a max of 62mph if your traveling on long flat roads.

The main reason I am writing you this reply is to reinforce the need to know your tires age. Several years ago I was driving my 4X4 Suburban on Hwy 13 in the hills above Oakland Ca. If any of you know the Hwy, it has crowned shoulders leading down into guard rails. I had three relatively new tire and one that looked new but was eight years old, the spare.

I was traveling NB near the highest point on the Hwy when the left rear tire blew, it was violent. The explosion pulled the truck to my left across both lanes and into the gravel shoulder, about 30 ft. When I hit crowned shoulder, the rearend came around to 45 deg. I followed my train and turned into the skid, letting the vehicle scrub of the speed. I slid for quite a ways, about 80 ft. it seemed like for ever at the time. I missed smashing into the guard rail by inches. I was lucky. I made it out with just a blown tire and a dent in my fender well from the tire coming apart.

I attribute my survival to my drivers training as a deputy sheriff and prior racing experience. I believe with all my being the average driver could not survive such an experience. I would hate to see the average driver in a 36ft RV blow a tire and have the same outcome. For all you fellow RVer's who want to push your tires that extra season because they look OK, don't do it, you can't see what's happening on the inside.

Protect yourself, your family and your traveling home.
wheelsturnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 02:52 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Wheels, why did you go with the M154, I have been told the M137 is better choice for Class A motorhome, especially in my size. 295/75R/22.5 H
Old 04-19-2014, 03:52 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattlePirat View Post
Cutiefac our tire size is 275/70r22.5. They are 520 including FET useing the FMCA discount. Mounting is a 335.00.

All the Japanese and Korean tires were about 3000.00 give or take.

I did like Toyo, but they do not make a 275 tire. I know ppl change tire size, but I would just as soon keep the size Freightliner put on the coach.

Trimoot. I dont know what to say except shop shop shop. I probably would have gone Hercules for the coach except the wife said go middle of the road. The really important thing is load rating. Make sure you get the load rating that is recommended for your coach.

Our coach is kept out of the sun and weather when not on the road.

The tire that blew out on our Rexhall was General. They were cracked alot but we knew nothing in those days about cracked side walls or loading. I would recommend reading everything you can on loading and tire pressure.

You likely will never put enough miles on your coach to wear the tread out, they will age out.
Six Hankook $2500 out the door born on date 3 months old vs $3455 no thanks.
The two of us and Kota, a 25 lbs Teddy Bear breed, makes three. Living the life in a 41 Fleetwood Providence pulling a Ford F150. Our trip of a lifetime 2014 Alaska all the way to Fairbanks. unbelievable beauty . as you go by.
nbargolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 04:02 PM   #25

I just got new Hankook 6 of them and driven 22 hours straight on them covering about 1200 miles.

No problem at all. Most of you are paying for mounting and balancing. My shop took my old tires and for them I got all the 6 tires mounted for free. Try to find a shop that will buy your old tires.

I have those 18 wheeler sized tires that they can resell old tires for the trailers.
DDMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:01 PM   #26

154 tire selection

John,

I have a 2000 Newmar Dutch Star 38ftDp, Freightliner XC chassis Cat power plant. It weighs in at 21000lbs dry. I have driven it with a full load of fuel, water and propane, minus our personals and food. This put it up around 23000lbs. when driven. I can't imagine ever maxing the weight.

I chose the 154 series because; first they don't make my size tire in the 137 series, the 265/75 most closely matched the original Michelin 280/75 for over $100 less per tire. I also like the additional tread the 154 has and its wet weather handling capabilities. Based on what I read on the Toyo factory page, the rubber and interior is similar. So far, I have driven about 400 miles both in town and open highway, hot weather 90 deg. and heavy (buckets) rain. I have no complaints. They track nicely, ride well and stay solid under braking. I can't ask more of a tire. $2990 for six balanced out the door at Les Schwab. I'm not pushing them by any means, but they are a large available company with good prices and readily available selection with new dot labels.
wheelsturnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:47 PM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the information.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:37 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbargolf View Post
Six Hankook $2500 out the door born on date 3 months old vs $3455 no thanks.
What size tire? The Hankooks I needed were at least 3000 out the door in oregon adn 3300 in Washington from two different dealers. You cannot just say my Hankooks were cheaper than your Michelins. You have to compare exact sizes.

Which would you buy at 3 or 400 dollar difference? If I got a quote for Hankooks at 2500 out the door I would have bought them.

Hope that helps.

Tags
tires