Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2014, 10:58 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.G. View Post
We looked at a '08 Endeavor yesterday that had the original tires. When I mentioned that they were near the point of needing to be replaced, the fellow was almost indignant about it. He called it a sales ploy. He was not going to listen no matter what.
I agree that it almost seems sacrilegious to do away with what looks like perfect tires, but I would be a nervous wreck otherwise.

There was a thread here a few days ago about a couple who had a blowout. The tires were 8 years old. The wife had a broken back and the husband was injured less severely. If the coach was an '08 it was likely build in '07 and the tires could have been substantially older. Always look at the date codes.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2014, 11:03 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dawg View Post
I just received a quote for Yokohama RY103's. They're a little different in size than the Michelins, but the price is good.

$2801.93 vs $3397.13.

Anyone have any bad/good experience with Yokohama tires?

TIA

Tom

When you say "little different size" how different in load carrying capacity? You should never use a tire with lower carrying capacity than OEM. If you are getting a quote on Michelin, you should do that through the FMCA tire program.

Yokohama tires seem to have a good reputation but may be harder to find if a matching replacement is needed on the road.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:36 PM   #59

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
There was a thread here a few days ago about a couple who had a blowout. The tires were 8 years old. The wife had a broken back and the husband was injured less severely. If the coach was an '08 it was likely build in '07 and the tires could have been substantially older. Always look at the date codes.
I wonder about all of the stories about tire blow outs and how the age of the tire is inferred to be the cause of the accidents. None of the articles I have read started with "I checked my tire pressure in the morning prior to leaving and all of the tires were at the recommended pressure".

It is like my Dad used to say about car accidents. The news report would say "The car failed to negotiate the curve". Nothing about excessive speed, etc.

I worked for a number of years for the Highways Department. As the manager one of my tasks was to attend the scene of all fatal accidents to report on the condition of the highway and try to determine if there was an issue with the highway. In all of the accident scenes I reviewed there were no instances where the highway could be determined to be the cause of the accident.

I would like to see some objective reasoning that although the tire was old and properly inflated, driving at less than its rated speed, it still failed.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:42 PM   #60

If 6 yr old tires with 10,000 miles is well taken care of (always properly inflated and protected from the sun) and the "rule of thumb" says they need replacement after 5yrs, as far as I'm concerned, this is a money grab for tire companies. This 5 yr scenario for replacing tires is based on the worst case conditions. I'd rather have a 7yr old tire with no cracks and even dread wear than a 2 yr old tire with cracks and uneven wear. Forget the myth of age and look at the condition.
My tires are from 2007 with 18,900 miles and are in mint condition. I'm heading for a long 2000 mile trip. Not worried one bit about the tires.
Brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:22 AM   #61

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dawg View Post
I just received a quote for Yokohama RY103's. They're a little different in size than the Michelins, but the price is good.

$2801.93 vs $3397.13.

Anyone have any bad/good experience with Yokohama tires?

TIA

Tom

I replaced my junk Michelins with Yokohamas and I like them very much ! They don't have the same issues that plague Michlelins such as sidewall checking and cracking. For me it had nothing to do about price, but everything to do with safety. Michelin has a chart showing how much sidewall checking is acceptable. For me , zero sidewall checking is acceptable .
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:30 AM   #62

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Steve,

Slightly wider and shorter. I will make sure there are no clearance issues.

Michelin 235/80R 22.5 load range G
Yokohama 245/70R 22.5 load range G

Chuck,

I would never sacrifice safety for price , but if I can get a comparable or better tire for less money, I'm all over it. I've not owned Yokahamas before - Michelins I have had on a pickup a while back, and they were crap.

In reading this and other forums, it seems like Yokohama is a good tire. Lot's of folks have them and like them. There are the ones who say "you get what you pay for" and the brand specific folks who swear by their favorite brand. I'm interested in someone telling me that they had Yokohamas on their MH before and would never purchase them again because...

Thanks,
Tom
Red Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:08 AM   #63

Hercules H-901 Inflation Chart

I was looking for an inflation chart for my new Hercules H-901 tires and received one from Hercules today so I thought I would post it here in case anyone else needed it.
Enjoy!
TriMoot
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	InfaltionChart-Hercules-H901.jpg
Views:	595
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	65049  
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 03:28 PM   #64

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
This tire shopping is worse that buying a gift for a mother-in-law.

We live in Michigan 5 months..and i have decided to get new tires here...the cheapest i could find...in an "RV" tire is 3900.00 or more...for 275-80R22.5. That is for Goodyear, and Michelin is more.

I read about 3,000 or less being a big hit!!! Really...where does one find a set for $3,000 or less? What State?

It seems driving to Ohio or Indiana will have to happen if i can save a grand..!!..
Old 06-10-2014, 03:52 PM   #65

Look for a TOYO or YOKAHAMA dealer. Two of the best tires out there and less money than Michelin or Goodyear. Many dealers sell them, look for a truck tire dealer.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:05 PM   #66

Yeah, this tire search thing gets into confusing corners. Just did about 45 minutes of Internet hunting for dealers of Yokohama truck tires who have 104ZR 12R22.5. That's the equivalent to my current Michelin XZE tires.

The Michelins are not sidewall cracked yet, but I'm afraid it won't be long. The reason I'm zeroing in on Yokohama is my recent experience with that brand for my toad tires. I'm impressed with the handling and ride improvement. Also less road noise than the factory equipped Goodyears.

The Yokohama web site touts their tires as having chemistry that greatly reduces premature checking/cracking.

Anyway, I found Yokohama 104ZR for $594.85 each delivered to my door (a commercial address in Ohio). This is easily $100 less than the best price on a Michelin.

Of course the next cost is to hire a road tire service to come out and install the tires.
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:29 AM   #67

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just recieved a quote for 2 steering tires from Warehouse Tire in Athen, Ohio.
Size 255-70-22.5
Michelin $526.60
BF Goodrich $354.20 each.
Aeolus $224.50 each. (China)
I was advised the BFG tires are made by Michelin in the Michelin factory.
hydro45640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:05 PM   #68

Monaco Owners Club
Hankook Tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDMA View Post
I just got new Hankook 6 of them and driven 22 hours straight on them covering about 1200 miles.

No problem at all. Most of you are paying for mounting and balancing. My shop took my old tires and for them I got all the 6 tires mounted for free. Try to find a shop that will buy your old tires.

I have those 18 wheeler sized tires that they can resell old tires for the trailers.
Are the Hankooks smooth on the road? We are needing to replace ours and do not like the fact of spending high $$$ for michelins and am thinking either Hankooks, Hercules, or Sumitomo's. Any thoughts?

Thanks
HartsRving
Old 06-11-2014, 07:51 PM   #69
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HartsRving View Post
Are the Hankooks smooth on the road? We are needing to replace ours and do not like the fact of spending high $$$ for michelins and am thinking either Hankooks, Hercules, or Sumitomo's. Any thoughts?

Thanks
HartsRving
If I didn't mention already, I put 6 Hancook AH12's on my coach. $2460 all in rolling down the road. Put 2200 miles on them already with no issue. I'd put Hancook's or Toyo's.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:42 PM   #70

Fleetwood Owners Club
X 2 on the six Hankook AH 12's All is well.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires