Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2013, 10:02 PM   #1

Leveler Problem??

I need some advice regarding the levelers on a motorhome I recently purchased (it's the first MH I've had with levelers!).

Some background. The MH is a 2008 Winnebago Destination on a Freightliner chasis. The leveling system is the Kwikee Level Best.

When I use the Auto Mode feature, the coach does not dump the air bags before leveling (BTW, I've been leaving the engine running while doing all this). As a result, the low end of the coach much raise waaaay higher than it would need to do if the other end had dumped the air bags first. The Kwikee manual says there should be a 25 second delay after pushing the auto button while the bags dump, then the jacks should deploy and do their business. My coach is not doing that.

Any advice?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2013, 10:21 PM   #2

I have a 1996 Holiday Rambler Navigator. This is our 2nd MH. I think you'll find that you need to shut down the engine to level because as long as re engine is running it is generating more air pressure. You'll never fully empty the air bags with the rig running. BTW, I've come to prefer leveling my unit manually. I have an HWH system.
picantedj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:34 PM   #3

Hmm, kind of wondered that. Didn't think the bags would dump with the engine running. But the dealer was very explicit in saying the engine should be running when using the levelers and slides. False?
Old 04-26-2013, 10:35 PM   #4

Just realized I need to update my sig. Kinda fun to say that!
Old 04-27-2013, 09:04 AM   #5
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Bryan,
The other responders have different systems and are only speculating based on what their system does.

The 2008 Winnebago Destination, exactly what I have with the same system components as you, only has two modes of leveler operation. The only way to dump the air bags is by using the levelers. One is the Auto, and the other is Manual. When the Auto mode button is pushed the air will dump and about 20 seconds later the two left side jacks will deploy, then the two right side, and the "auto" levelers will balance out the remaining setup.

If you decide to use the manual mode, as soon as you hit one of the bi-level switches the air will dump. However because it is manual mode the levelers will continue to move. It is best to wait for the dump to complete before continuing with the manual mode. When the system is working correctly I always use Auto, then touch up in the manual mode.

For both modes, and including the slide operations, it is recommended by Winnebago that the engine be running. It is only to help with the current by letting the alternator contribute to the load. There is a lot of current on those slide motors, one for the little slide and two for the big 20+ footer.

I always level first, then the small slide goes out, and then the big slide goes out. Just in my mind the little slide gives some counter-balance for the weight of the big slide.

As for the airbags not dumping, that is an unusual situation. I suspect it could be a sensor thing. I have had the reverse happen where the air bags do not inflate. Talk about a teeth rattling ride when you take off, wow! The remedy for them not inflating is to extend the jacks (level, level ground required) as far as they will go and then retract them. That has worked, recommended by Winnebago, each of the two times it has happened to us. It may be a possibility that it would work in your situation and would not hurt to try it. It may trigger the sensor to work again.

Otherwise - it's to the repair shop.

Happy trails.

p.s., I have had a lot of problems with mine over the past 5 years - mostly fixed - so if you have any specific questions, ask away.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:22 AM   #6

Wayne, thx for the reply. Mine definitely is NOT dumping when I leave the engine running and hit the auto mode. I'll try your suggestion of full extension on level ground and see if that helps.

So when you hit auto, the levelers don't immediately begin the downward stroke? They wait 20-30 second for the bags to empty and then deploy?

We've only had the coach for three weeks and still have a warranty from the dealer to fix any system issues during the first 30 days. Everything else seems to be functioning. Are there any other things we should pay close attention to based on your experience with the Destination?
Old 04-27-2013, 11:34 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
If you only have a week left on your Dealer Warranty, I would get it in there today. Don't waste time - let them diagnose it asap.
joemcgin is offline   Reply With Quote