Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2019, 02:59 PM   #1

Levelers

Hi ya'll!
We have a 37', 2004 Monaco Monarch with power gear hydraulic levelers.
In our last few outings we seem to be in a left / rear low situation and when I try to lift the left rear after touching the ground with all it will only lift a certain amount.
It will only go up so far even if I put a block or two under the jack. Like it is weight related and it just gets the weight off of the springs and quits.
I changed the oil a few moons ago and made sure it was full.
Don't say sell it!
Thank you!
Mark
WOMACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2019, 03:07 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOMACK View Post
Hi ya'll!
We have a 37', 2004 Monaco Monarch with power gear hydraulic levelers.
In our last few outings we seem to be in a left / rear low situation and when I try to lift the left rear after touching the ground with all it will only lift a certain amount.
It will only go up so far even if I put a block or two under the jack. Like it is weight related and it just gets the weight off of the springs and quits.
I changed the oil a few moons ago and made sure it was full.
Don't say sell it!
Thank you!
Mark
Try bleeding that left rear jack, I think you may have some air in the system.
Old 04-02-2019, 03:10 PM   #3

If its a power up/power down system ( 2 hoses, no springs ), the piston may be bypassing oil internally.
The fix would be a rebuild for that cylinder.

If its the spring type and that's the heavy corner of the coach, and the other rear jack lifts good, it may be that the relief valve is set a bit to low. That really shouldn't happen over time but you never know.

Any testing will involve a pressure gauge and maybe a flow meter for testing the cylinder.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 06:18 AM   #4

Levelers

Thank you so much for the tips.
I will bleed first and then look into pressure.
Mark
Old 04-03-2019, 09:12 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
If its an older Power gear, there is no return hose from the jack, All fluid that is pumped to the jack either goes into the jack, or out on the ground. The spring pulls the jack up, and the fluid flows back to the tank via the same hose.

I'd suspect a valve body is leaking internally.

You could swap the valve body assemblies between two legs to see if the problem follows the body. Personally, I'd remove all the valve bodies one at a time. There are three legs and one return valve bodies. Inspect the shuttle to see if it moves freely, then put two new o-rings on it. I suspect this will solve your problem.

Before removing the valve bodies, retract all the jacks, then make sure the area is clean, clean, clean. Any dirt or debris when re-assembling could damage the o-rings or get trapped in the body shuttle and cause a leak. Remove the solenoid coil, then you can remove the valve body.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:45 AM   #6

Levelers

Thank you for your input.
One more piece to the puzzle.
Last night I could lift both rear tires off the ground by using the rear down button but it appears the limitation comes when using 1 side or the other rear down buttons.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:39 AM   #7

I didn't think jack systems would allow individual jack operation to prevent frame twisting. Every system I ever had would only operate the jacks in pairs. ie: both lefts or both rights or both fronts or both rears.

If that's the case it could be that your left front jack is fully extended so the system won't allow further extension of the left rear. That would also explain why it will operate when you extend the rear pair and won't work when you try to extend the left pair. I'd stick some blocks under the left front and see what happens. Just something else to check.

I would also re-verify that fluid level is adequate.
Old 04-04-2019, 02:11 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
both lefts or both rights or both fronts or both rears.
The older Power Gear is a 3 point system. Some have two jacks in the front, but they're plumbed together so they work like a single jack thats mounted in the middle of the front.

The two rear jacks can be controlled together, or separately to control the sideways tilt.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 07:16 PM   #9

Gotcha. Thanks

Tags
levelers