Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2021, 05:49 AM   #1

Levelers activate while driving.

We have a 2014 Newmar Baystar 2903, new to us this year and have been on the road since mid-April. On our last trip as I was driving, the leveler system started beeping and I could hear the pump running and I couldn't get the system to power off.
Quickly pulled over and hit "all retract" and was then able to power off the system. Started driving again and about 30 minutes later just as we were pulling into the rv park, it happened again. The other weird thing is when I did get set up and went to actually level the coach, when I pushed the emergency brake pedal, the blinking light for the Emergency brake on the operation panel of the lever system went out... dark. It has always been lit.

Anyone ever have anything like this happen or have any idea why this would happen? I did check the hydraulic fluid and it is just a tad below the "fill to here" line but I mean just a wee bit.
Any thoughts appreciated
Jim Mantel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2021, 06:28 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I’m no expert, but that sounds electrical to me. I would begin by pulling and cleaning the leveler control panel looking for any loose connections along the way, especially the ground wire.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 06:32 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Inspect the wiring around the pump for meltdowns, shorts and grounding. Pull the fuses (4 on my DS) to check their condition.
ShortHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 06:42 AM   #4

It is likely an alarm mode versus actual moving of the jacks. Consider adding fluid to the reservoir. The jacks down sensing is actually just a fluid level check at the reservoir. When you go over any big transition the fluid sloshes enough to make the system think the jacks are down.
Old 07-30-2021, 07:01 AM   #5

This coach is 7 yrs. old. and probably has never had the fluid in the reservoir changed out. That needs to be done. Condensation can build up in there and contaminate. This is a PM item.

But this problem sounds to me like an electrical problem as others have said. It's a gas coach so you can easily put a piece of cardboard under the coach, crawl under there and clean every electrical connection then spray on some contact protectant—including the ground wire— and make sure wiring connections are tight. Then test.

If the problem persists, pull the control panel off the dash and check all those connections too for good contact, any corrosion etc, etc.

Whenever trouble shooting anything, always do the common, simple things first to eliminate those possibilities. If those don't do the trick, then you can dig further into other possible causes. I always use the saying, "you have to get thru the no's to get to the yes's.
mr.tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 11:56 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Don't know f this helps but i had a similar problem. I have an HWH leveling system. After a few miles down the road the jacks down alarm would sound. I pulled off the road and checked. didn't look like the jacks were coming down. I hit the store button and after a minute the alarm went off. A few miles down the road it happened again. Same fix.
When I got home I checked the HWH manual. It said that while traveling changes in the temp of the fluid can cause the jacks to move slightly and cause the deploy alarm to activate.
To keep the alarm from activating keep the store button pushed. that will hold the solenoids in the fluid return position to allow for expansion
If this isn't the problem then as others have stated most likely an electrical problem.
Old 07-30-2021, 12:05 PM   #7

Thank you all for your responses. I will be checking all those things suggested.
Jim Mantel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
levelers