Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2020, 12:34 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Leveling

When I auto level our Adventurer 37F, the left front tire is always off the ground....no matter how level
Or I level I am prior to leveling....is this normal?
Dzalenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2020, 12:37 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzalenski View Post
When I auto level our Adventurer 37F, the left front tire is always off the ground....no matter how level
Or I level I am prior to leveling....is this normal?
Translation please.

Have you calibrated your automatic leveler?
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 12:48 PM   #3

I personally dont like the 'auto' level feature so I level our coach using the manual setting and verifying with a long level in a few different places within the coach.
Oldmso54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 12:58 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
First off, Welcome to IRV2!

No, that is not normal. As suggested, it sounds like you need to recalibrate the auto level system. You should have directions for your brand/model either in your manufacturer information or look it up on line.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 01:17 PM   #5

The vast majority of us use manual leveling

The coach will be closer to the ground and with less weight on Jack's, increased stability

I like the bedroom slide about 1 inch higher than the opposite so easily accomplished

Typically I use the level indicator for front to back and the 1/2 bath door for side to side
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 01:20 PM   #6

It would help to know what leveling system your Adventurer 37F has. Do you know the manufacturer and is it electric or hydraulic?

On my coach with the PowerGear hydraulic leveling system, the two front wheels are not individually leveled, but they are in fact joined together. It is impossible for one of the front wheels to be off the ground unless the maximum rate of travel is exceeded.
Now the rears are individually powered and it is possible to raise one wheel off the ground and not the other.

A properly calibrated auto leveling system works beautifully in my coach.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 02:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
It would help to know what leveling system your Adventurer 37F has. Do you know the manufacturer and is it electric or hydraulic?

On my coach with the PowerGear hydraulic leveling system, the two front wheels are not individually leveled, but they are in fact joined together. It is impossible for one of the front wheels to be off the ground unless the maximum rate of travel is exceeded.
Now the rears are individually powered and it is possible to raise one wheel off the ground and not the other.

So how do you raise the right front without also raising the left front?

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 03:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
I can only speak for my Fleetwood Discovery with the PowerGear Hydraulic Stabilizers. Other manufactures could do things differently.

The two rear stabilizer legs are independently operated with a separate hydraulic fluid solenoid for each leg.

The fronts share one solenoid and the one hydraulic fluid line(hose) until it reaches the front of the coach, then a T where fluid goes under the same pressure to each front leg.

When the controller wants to raise the front it does so by opening the one solenoid and pump sends fluid to both front legs equally and the front of the coach raises.

When the controller needs to raise the entire rear of the coach, two solenoids open and fluid flows to the two rear legs.

When the controller wants to raise the left side, or right side, the rear leg solenoid for whatever side needs to be raised opens and fluid goes to that rear leg only, then the coach acts like a tricycle, only instead of one front wheel in a tricycle, there are two front wheels tied hydraulically tied together allowing the coach to pivot.

NOTE: my air suspension system works in a similar fashion, in that two front airbags are tied together and act as a pivot, and the rear bags are independent of each other. Some Freightliner chassis have the opposite design. The rears are tied together and the front act independently.

This is critical to keep the front of the coach from "racking" and damaging the frame and or windshield.

Maybe someone can explain this better than me and post a diagram.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 05:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post

Some have 4 corner hydraulics.
Argosy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 02:04 AM   #10

We've got a quadra BigFoot system which replaced the old Atwood Levelegs.

The quadra works like a dream in auto-mode. (After overcoming a completely amateur installation by RnR RV in Liberty Lake, WA)
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 04:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldmso54 View Post
I personally dont like the 'auto' level feature so I level our coach using the manual setting and verifying with a long level in a few different places within the coach.
Same here. I can actually level in less time manually than auto does it and the coach is closer to the ground. I've tried calibrating a few times, and it gets no better.

We don't know what Dzalenski has, but I'm betting manually leveling would solve the problem.
Old 02-06-2020, 02:43 PM   #12

Quote:
I can only speak for my Fleetwood Discovery with the PowerGear Hydraulic Stabilizers. Other manufactures could do things differently.

The two rear stabilizer legs are independently operated with a separate hydraulic fluid solenoid for each leg.

The fronts share one solenoid and the one hydraulic fluid line(hose) until it reaches the front of the coach, then a T where fluid goes under the same pressure to each front leg.

When the controller wants to raise the front it does so by opening the one solenoid and pump sends fluid to both front legs equally and the front of the coach raises.

When the controller needs to raise the entire rear of the coach, two solenoids open and fluid flows to the two rear legs.

When the controller wants to raise the left side, or right side, the rear leg solenoid for whatever side needs to be raised opens and fluid goes to that rear leg only, then the coach acts like a tricycle, only instead of one front wheel in a tricycle, there are two front wheels tied hydraulically tied together allowing the coach to pivot.

NOTE: my air suspension system works in a similar fashion, in that two front airbags are tied together and act as a pivot, and the rear bags are independent of each other. Some Freightliner chassis have the opposite design. The rears are tied together and the front act independently.

This is critical to keep the front of the coach from "racking" and damaging the frame and or windshield.

Maybe someone can explain this better than me and post a diagram.
Can't wrap my mind around this. Seems like there'd be some twisting of the coach (front to back) if the fronts stayed even and one of the rears went higher than the other rear,

Ours doesn't have the auto level system but after seeing how the system works on a couple of other rigs I know of, this is fine by me. Those systems seem to go crazy at times with the jumping and pumping back and forth between the jacks. Then after all that, if the auto leveling sequence does complete, there's a decent chance the rig ends up being jacked up higher than it needs to be.
Old 02-06-2020, 02:57 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Sounds like a calibration issue to me as well, my auto level feature works as designed and expected.
2Newsomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 07:49 AM   #14

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:

Power gear Power Lever series
Dzalenski is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling