Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2017, 10:40 AM   #29

Case closed 4x4Van. Anything else?
ChassisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2017, 11:24 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChassisGuy View Post
Case closed 4x4Van. Anything else?
So let's see; you admit that YOU wouldn't do what's shown in the picture, you admit that the Newmar owners manual likely says to not do what's in the picture, you cannot provide any instance where a tire manufacturer or RV manufacturer says it's okay to do what's in the picture, nor that it's okay to intentionally overload a tire, and your tire chart is irrelevant for a number of reasons; Those may or may not (most likely not) be the tires that the OP has installed, and ANY tires correctly inflated to support ANY weight in a dually configuration, by definition, will be overloaded if that same weight is put onto just one of them.

Sorry, ChassisGuy, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree as to the "condition" of the case.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 11:34 AM   #31

You're a lost cause my friend. I provided proof from the tire manufacturer that specifically shows the tire can support the weight. I would have absolutely no reason to do what's in the OP's picture. The ONLY thing I would do differently is support the whole tire. That looks like he's trying to level the coach for a longer period of time and I wouldn't do that.

I'll be redundant and say again that I will lift a unit by one rear tire which is fine.

I have absolutely zero knowledge of what's in Newmar's owners manuals. I don't work for Newmar. Again, I've never opened a Newmar owners manual.

If you read the picture is specifically stated that a single tire inflated to 85 psi can support almost 13k.... which is plenty good enough to be lifted.

Admit it, you lost this battle.

I'm out [emoji1308]
Old 05-06-2017, 12:31 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Actually, you provided a chart for a random "truck" tire that the OP is not using on his 1997 32' Bounder. Not only that, the Michelin RV tire charts don't agree. Those charts say that a 315/80R22.5 LRL (the size you randomly chose) can only support 6415 lbs at 85psi. In fact, I don't see a single tire in Michelin's RV tire charts that can do what you claim. Not one. But again, your chart is irrelevant, as are mine, because the OP never said what size tire he's using.

Nice try, though.
Old 05-06-2017, 12:36 PM   #33

Last word
Old 05-06-2017, 02:11 PM   #34

American Coach Owners Club
Another tire thread, yawn. ..
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 02:14 PM   #35

Leveling a Bounder with wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4van View Post
Actually, you provided a chart for a random "truck" tire that the OP is not using on his 1997 32' Bounder. Not only that, the Michelin RV tire charts don't agree. Those charts say that a 315/80R22.5 LRL (the size you randomly chose) can only support 6415 lbs at 85psi. In fact, I don't see a single tire in Michelin's RV tire charts that can do what you claim. Not one. But again, your chart is irrelevant, as are mine, because the OP never said what size tire he's using.

Nice try, though.

Idiot. That IS an RV tire. It's probably the most common RV tire Newmar currently uses actually. I've helped you out by circling the numbers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0389.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	600.7 KB
ID:	160870
Old 05-06-2017, 02:21 PM   #36

Same tire. Same load range. Different application. Different rating.

Still would be able to support the weight.
Old 05-06-2017, 03:28 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wow, let me see if I can explain this to you. The chart you show is from Michelin's TRUCK tire website. The following chart is from their RV website (I've circled the numbers to make it easy for you). Significantly lower load ratings, aren't they?

Why the difference? No idea, BUT since we are talking about an RV and NOT a truck...hmmm...perhaps Michelin knows something about RV vs truck usage that you don't?

BUT...Wait for it...Just what does either chart have to do with the OP's situation? Nothing. You've chosen a random non-applicable tire, added a load chart that is not applicable for the situation, and thereby tried to prove apples by showing me oranges. You've also continued to ignore several obvious gaps. What gaps? 1. The OP has a 1997 32' Bounder; he is NOT running those tires, guaranteed. 2. Assuming that the OP's actual tires ARE aired up to the correct pressure for the RV's weight, doubling that weight (which is what happens when you remove 1 tire from supporting that weight) WILL overload the existing tire at it's current existing pressure. Period. That's not really rocket science, just simple math.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:53 PM   #38

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChassisGuy View Post
Idiot. That IS an RV tire. It's probably the most common RV tire Newmar currently uses actually. I've helped you out by circling the numbers.

Attachment 160870
I think we can forgo calling anyone an IDIOT

Did you look at my example on my rig where by loading only one tire were 2 was supposed to support the weight it was over the load rating by over well over 2000#? This is not an insignificant amount. That was with the max pressure but my rig doesn't require that amount of pressure with the load I carry so with the proper pressure I would be over the capacity of the tire by over 3000#. In my humbler opinion way to much to be safe but this is in my uneducated opinion so please continue to teach me it is ok to go over what the tire manufacturers states that my tire is rated for.
Butch50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 08:28 PM   #39

Excel Owners Club
OK, I was watching a Michelin tire video on Youtube. This is a video put out by Michelin themselves not by some other 3rd party.

I think if you look at the video just shortly after the 14 minute mark you might find it kind of interesting.

I think this answers all of the questions that we have been knocking around on here.

Let us know if your opinion is altered after viewing this video by the tire manufacturer telling us how to take care of our tires on our MHs.
Butch50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 10:57 PM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Interesting video, and pretty much validates what most of us here have been saying. Case closed.

Tags
leveling, bounder