Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2021, 05:15 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Leveling Issue

I tried to level with our “Power Gear Electronic Leveling” system as I normally do on a very un-level campsite. All of the jacks go up and down, but there is no lifting power on the right side. No, I haven’t done the obvious like checking the fluid for several reasons. But, is that really a likely issue when the jacks have plenty of power on the left side? They will actually lift the MH off the ground and make it more unlevel.

We did get leveled up the old fashioned way, just by driving up onto blocks.

Any ideas about what the problem might be and how to fix it?

OK, notes about why I haven’t checked the fluid.

1) Didn’t think that was the problem (though I guess it could be starting to get low and affect one side).

2) Can’t find a manual for it, online or in my books. Numbers are painted over on pump/ reservoir.

3) Not sure that I’ve found where to check it. I did find a plug near the top of the reservoir but it’s not typical of what I’ve seen as a place to check the level or refill (large plug that requires a wrench for removal, not like a typical dipstick).

4) Unsure of what type of fluid to use and I know I don’t have what’s needed handy.

So, yes, I realize it could be fluid and that’s an easy fix. But, what type? Does it go in at that big plug?

Any other ideas if that’s not the issue?

Just trying to see what all to look into when we get back home? And, looking for proper resources for maintenance, parts and repairs.

Again, Power Gear, in 2005 Fleetwood Bounder 37U Diesel.

Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2021, 04:44 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Best can do without a picture but yes the fluid goes in at that plug. On mine it goes in until it is about to run out, assume yours is the same. Mine takes transmission fluid.Dextron III is fine. If you still have a problem after a few extensions then do the maintenance. Get the manual online then spray the jack tubes and wipe clean. The check for grease fittings and put in just enough to let some come out. Set the level while you are at it.

That having been done try manual. Use a bullet level on the floor. There is a specific sequence for manual jacking so read the manual. I carry wood blocks to put under the jacks. If you add more than one you are asking for trouble.

Let us know how you make out. Can't be too specific without knowing which system. Photo of controls. Do the jacks have springs, front or rear engine even.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 02:30 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Thanks so much for your reply!

I had checked the fluid by the time you responded and it is fine.

For now, the whole system seems to be working fine. It's just puzzling about why it happened, why did it start working again, and will it happen again.

I was extremely frustrating at the campsite. I probably played around with it for 30-45 minutes and it would get WAY off, even doing it manually (I normally operate the hydraulic jacks manually just so it doesn't raise it quite as high). I did try automatic as well - many times both ways. It would run the pumps/jacks on the right until they made contact with the ground. Then, the pumps would keep running (making noise anyway) but they would not raise the motorhome. Interestingly enough, after they ran a while, the control panel would show that it was level and the Auto mode would quit running - without raising the low side at all.

However, I got back home and everything is working well!

I actually live on a sloped lot that requires more leveling on the same same as what we needed in the mountains. But, first try, everything is level at home with three wheels completely off the ground.

The only things I can think of that I did differently at home were: 1: Patience - I left it alone since first trying to set up in the mountains on Friday. 2: I turned off the batteries for a short time, shutting down all 12v power for a "reset" maybe.

Any other thoughts?
Old 06-28-2021, 12:02 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrgeorge View Post
Thanks so much for your reply!

I had checked the fluid by the time you responded and it is fine.

For now, the whole system seems to be working fine. It's just puzzling about why it happened, why did it start working again, and will it happen again. It is puzzling, It probably reset itself, It may but you will know the answer.
I turned off the batteries for a short time, shutting down all 12v power for a "reset" maybe. Possibly.

Any other thoughts?

Our Tropical had this problem when we were test driving it. The Dealer called someone, did something with the control panel and it worked fine. Knowing what I know now they probably called Power Gear/Lippert and were told how to reset the system. These are fickle and a surge in the RV electric system can mess with them. I got a service manual 82-L0506 which has a few pages of troubleshooting info. It was available on the website. Yours may have a different number. You need the number on the touch-pad to find it probably. Once you have the manual and some understanding you can, at least as of last year,call them and they provide good troubleshooting over the phone. Here is a photo of a page that might help. Be careful of letting it go too high. You can damage old aor suspension bags.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210628_093315e.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	252.9 KB
ID:	333957  
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 03:01 PM   #5

"Hedge Your Bets" stay away from campsites that are really far from being level. You should never level your rig with wheels off the ground, something eventually will bend or break.

Tags
leveling