Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2013, 05:36 PM   #1

Leveling Jack not retracting

Hi I have one Leveling Jack that won't retract automaticly when I select Store, I have to use a bar to push back up.. Does anybody know what could be wrong.. Oil is ok
Larry2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2013, 05:40 PM   #2

If it is hwh spray with wd40 our last coach did the same a good spray lasted several weeks
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:49 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Do you know what Brand of system? Internal or exernal springs? May have internal which you won't see but could be broken as well.
TRAILERKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:51 PM   #4

I have to spray mine with WD40 every so often. They go right up after spraying.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:02 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
if they are hwh then they are pulled back up by springs. I disagree a bit with the other posters. WD40 leaves a residue. I spray mine with silicon lube works good. Spray with the silicon and and if it still has to be pushed up with something then replace the jack. I had one that always went slow and had to be sprayed twice as often as the others. I replaced the springs and still had problems. I had the jack replaced and I could not believe how fast the new jack worked.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:21 AM   #6

I have external springs, good point I will try sraying jiglub
Larry2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:41 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
WD-40 is fine according to HWH. I had maintenance done on mine and the shop which is HWH certified in IN said you can just wash them off with water and it will do the same thing WD40 does. Be careful of other products as they may damage the seals being not compatible with what they are made out of. As far as the retraction the spring/s could be getting weak but on mine when that happened I had a bad solenoid. If you know which solenoid controls the jack there is either a nut or t-handle on the front of it which needs to be lossened to relieve the pressure in the jack and it will slowly retract. I now cary an extra one with me for that purpose. Good luck and hope you get it resolved.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:15 AM   #8

On the advice of a person on another site & a HWH tech I did the following and it worked great!
Extend the jacks, then using an oil squirt can with ATF in it, point the tip of the oil can up towards the seal at the bottom of the jack and squirt the ATF all the way around. Wipe off the jack & I used a paper towel to wipe up inside the lower lip of the jack. Then retract the jacks and lower them again repeating the process.
I had been having problems with my jacks and this solved the problem, they come up faster now than they ever did. I was amazed at all the dirt that came down from up inside the lip of the jack. The rear jacks on our M/H are right behind the rear wheels so they get all the dirt thrown at them as we go down the road. I believe a lot of that dirt gets tossed up onto the seal thus slowing them down. I am presently working on a solution to the problem and trying to find a way to limit the dirt that gets thrown up on the jack. Mud flap extension is going to be my first idea, and we will see how it goes from there.
For your info. the only difference between HWH fluid and ATF is that ATF is red in color and HWH is clear.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
if they are hwh then they are pulled back up by springs. I disagree a bit with the other posters. WD40 leaves a residue. I spray mine with silicon lube works good. Spray with the silicon and and if it still has to be pushed up with something then replace the jack. I had one that always went slow and had to be sprayed twice as often as the others. I replaced the springs and still had problems. I had the jack replaced and I could not believe how fast the new jack worked.
I used silicon spray it did not help I used wd40 on dealers recommendation it did work
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:57 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSP1268 View Post
For your info. the only difference between HWH fluid and ATF is that ATF is red in color and HWH is clear.
I guess that makes sense, given that PowerGear hydraulic jacks use red Mercron V ATF as it's fluid.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:09 AM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry2013 View Post
Hi I have one Leveling Jack that won't retract automaticly when I select Store, I have to use a bar to push back up.. Does anybody know what could be wrong.. Oil is ok
You don't say how old your rig is, but if you have the older springs (assuming it is HWH) then replacing them will be like night and day. We had one that we had to use a board to push up - - replaced the springs and up they go without any problem. We also wipe them down with ATF every month or so, makes a real difference.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:43 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Larry2013,
If the jacks are HWH the suggestion to replace the springs is valid. If the springs are straight down to the hook they need to be replaced. If the spring part is tapered the last five turns in to hook part, they are the new model and do not need to be replaced. Also, spraying may help temporarily. Some HWH jacks have a lower seal that will, over time, collapse in on the cylinder. This keeps the jack from retracting all the way. The only remedy is to rebuild or replace the jack.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:01 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I will try the wd40 and see if it makes a difference. I know the silicon will work because the front jack that I had replaced would not go up I could spray it with silicon and it would go up for about 10 cycles of the jack then need to be sprayed again. I occasionally have one of the other jacks not go up correctly and I spray them with silicon lube and they work fine. The new jack goes up probably in one third the time the other older jacks do. I am of the opinion the one I replaced had a bad seal that was holding the jack back. I replaced all springs with the new type of springs first and did not see a large difference. Just means my springs were not bad not that the new springs are not a lot better. When I get home after this trip I will take the old jack I had replaced to a hydraulic shop and have them rebuild it so that I will know what the problem was in the first place. The reason I hesitated about using wd40 or hydraulic fluid was the residue left on the jack. I am worried about dirt sticking to the jack and damaging the seal. silicon lube does not leave a residue.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:48 PM   #14

2011 allegro

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSP1268 View Post
On the advice of a person on another site & a HWH tech I did the following and it worked great!
Extend the jacks, then using an oil squirt can with ATF in it, point the tip of the oil can up towards the seal at the bottom of the jack and squirt the ATF all the way around. Wipe off the jack & I used a paper towel to wipe up inside the lower lip of the jack. Then retract the jacks and lower them again repeating the process.
I had been having problems with my jacks and this solved the problem, they come up faster now than they ever did. I was amazed at all the dirt that came down from up inside the lip of the jack. The rear jacks on our M/H are right behind the rear wheels so they get all the dirt thrown at them as we go down the road. I believe a lot of that dirt gets tossed up onto the seal thus slowing them down. I am presently working on a solution to the problem and trying to find a way to limit the dirt that gets thrown up on the jack. Mud flap extension is going to be my first idea, and we will see how it goes from there.
have the same rv that you do.just replaced left rear jack. tiffan will tell you that there were some faulty ones that year.
teddodd is offline   Reply With Quote