Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2022, 06:24 PM   #1

Leveling jack reservoir and manifold issue

I have 1997 Fleetwood American Tradition on a Spartan Mountain Master chassis and i am having a couple issues. One, the "jacks down" light stays on even though the jacks look to be all the way up. Im pretty sure it needs fluid so i finally found the reservoir and when i unscrewed the cap not only is there no dipstick but the cap has a large hole......that cant be right can it? My reservoir box is pretty covered in fluid. Where can i get a new cap and is there a way to add the right amount of fluid without that dipstick? (i tried looking on Liperts website but didnt see a replacement)

second, (and possibly third, probably related) when my coach airs up there is a constant stream of air out of the air control valve under the hood. If i block that vent tube with my finger the coach drops. also when i push the jacks down button and the coach dumps air it seems to also release the brakes and i will roll a bit depending on the grade of the ground.

I am trying to ready the coach for sale and these are my two main stumbling blocks. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks
DeadHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2022, 07:38 PM   #2

My coach has a Power Gear leveling system. The big "nut" on top just pry's loose and there is a big hole. Nothing at all in the way of a dip stick. But on mine, I fill the ATF fluid up to the top of the hole, then cap it off with that big nut. See picture. If I can remember, tomorrow morning I'll see if I have a document showing how much to fill in your coach.

NOTE: the jack legs must be all of the way up first. Also, your jack legs might have a grease fitting at the bottom of the piston.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0636 modified.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	243.4 KB
ID:	361385  
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 07:56 PM   #3

Mine is the power gear 3 leg system and my reservoir is rectangular. The nut on top is threaded and screws off. Ive read that overfilling will trip the excessive slope alarm.
Old 04-05-2022, 05:46 AM   #4

Here is what have. The picture is from page 6 and 7 of the manual attached here. Power Gear has an extensive web site loaded with manuals for all of their systems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fluid Type and Level.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	272.7 KB
ID:	361407  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Power Gear parts manual.pdf (1.41 MB, 4 views)
Old 04-05-2022, 06:51 AM   #5

Thanks. that helps. I assumed there would be a dipstick. Ill check that tonight.
Old 04-06-2022, 11:30 AM   #6

Used a ziptie as a makeshift dipstick and she was a good bit low. Topped it off and now the jacks down light is off. Thanks for the info.

Im going to start a new thread for my other issues.

thanks
Old 04-06-2022, 12:37 PM   #7

Good to hear you fixed one problem!
Attached here is a Freightliner airline schematic. Looks like it is from 2003 but maybe it will still be able to help you with your air problem.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FL Chassis Air Lines Diagram.pdf (167.6 KB, 3 views)

Tags
leveling