Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2016, 11:53 PM   #1

Leveling jacks?

what could of caused my jacks to come down while driving all four and not shut off. after a while I got them down but am now afraid to drive it
homer7318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2016, 05:05 AM   #2

First thing is to tell us what kind of motor home you have and what leveling system you have.
Old 12-17-2016, 05:37 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by homer7318 View Post
what could of caused my jacks to come down while driving all four and not shut off. after a while I got them down but am now afraid to drive it

Sounds like either one of your springs has fallen off or your hydraulic valve has failed or both.
Old 12-18-2016, 03:22 AM   #4

Quote:
I have a 2000 Newmar Moumtain Aire with HWH HYDRAULIC LEVELING
homer7318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 06:05 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
hydro levelers have springs that help them to retract, it they fall off it will slowly drift down. If your valve is faulty it will open and allow the jack to expand due to heat and movement. are any of your jacks or hoses leaking fluid? if they are then air is getting into your system and air expands when heated. On the other hand if you are getting sleepy at the wheel and lean over on the jack controls........
Old 12-18-2016, 06:14 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
I have the same Coach, the only way I know for them to come down if all the return springs were off all the jacks(8 large spring's) or the leveling system was activated..........and in two ways, 1. power button pressed twice, this starts the suspension air dump of the air bag's, and after a short time the Auto level process will start.
2. Individual jack buttons pressed.
The large springs retract the hydraulic cylinder's, they are only powered one way, down.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:30 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

palehorse is right on the money. The only way for the springs to let ALL the jacks down would be if all 8 springs fell off. Ain't gonna happen at the same time, plus they wouldn't come back up again. Nor would any single valve failure let all 4 jacks down. All the line valves would have to be open to do that.

Seems to me that for all the jacks to come down, the pump had to be powered, at least briefly. Bad switch or control board, or maybe just somebody accidentally pushed a button?
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 07:05 PM   #8

In most HWH systems, there is what's called a temp-pressure compensation valve. If for example, you retract your jacks at the end of a stay at a camp and, its say, 50-60 degrees outside when you do this. Now, as you travel down the road, the heat of the day, the road, the engine (if a gasser) is in the front and producing heat etc. All this heat can cause the hydraulic fluid in the HWH system to expand. When that happens, the obvious will try and happen and that is, the Jacks will try and extend.

But, the temp-pressure compensation valve will see this condition happening and, will compensate for it by relieving the potential excess pressure and route it back to the reservoir and or manifold. Most, if not ALL HWY systems, will not allow the pump to activate unless the parking brake is set. There is a what's called the brake inter-lock there. By setting the parking brake, that allows for a ground to be sent to the motor/pump so it can be engaged.

So, since the OP was driving, I sincerely doubt that the pump engaged, even momentarily. And, I also pretty much rule out all 8 springs becoming dislodged at one time too. At present, about the only culprit I might throw at this problem might be the temp-pressure compensation valve. If it's not doing its job, the pressure from traveling heat, might build up enough that the jacks will begin to extend. I'm not an expert at any of this stuff, not by any means. I've just read up in the HWH troubleshooting manual and service manual about this sort of stuff. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, leveling, leveling jacks