Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2017, 09:00 PM   #1

Cool Leveling Jacks

Having problems with leveling jacks staying up while traveling. It seems a good jolt while driving (RR tracks, potholes, bridge crossings, etc.) cause one or more of the jacks to come down just enough to set off the alarm. It has been easy to retract it by just pushing the "store" button but sure is annoying and sometimes happens in heavy traffic which is stressful.
Had the springs that retract the jacks replaced but that did not stop the problem. Have had it checked out at Camping World and they could find no problem as the jacks came up for them fine in the short test drive they gave it. An RV repair place in western KY told us to start using silicone spray each time we pulled the jacks up and this may have helped some but the problem still occurs every time we take a trip. Any suggestions? I have a 2005 Newmar Scottsdale 34 ft class A with three slide outs. Thanks for any help you can offer.
cjshepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2017, 07:06 AM   #2

I seriously doubt the jack is lowering, especially since you replaced the springs. Sounds more like a problem with the magnets that sense when the jack is lowered. Try unplugging each sensor and cleaning the contacts. If it persists, the magnet in the jack or the exterior sensor may be bad.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:34 AM   #3
Commercial Member

LJ is describing one of the first things to check.
run the jacks down, disconnect the sensor at the top of the jack. using a vom meter, check continuity between the black and white wire on the sensor. it should be open. check the harness to the touch pad by jumping the wires on the harness plugin.
when you connect the black and white wire on the harness the red light on the touch panel should come on. if not, the touch pad is bad. this is not a common problem.
download a service manual for your system. go thru the diagnostics following the manual.
but before you go thru a lot of checks, try this.
when traveling be sure to let the system time itself out. do not turn it off. make a habit of turning the store function on when ever you drive off.
this is the only function that will work on the hwh leveling systems, without having the park brake set. this is for jacks only. not air leveling, or rooms.
when it times out, it goes to sleep, and wakes up whenever one or more jacks extend more than 1/2 inch. it then opens the solenoids and allow the cylinder or cylinders, to retract, all without having the alarm go off.
is this a new problem, or has the problem been there since you got the coach?
two things may cause the cylinder to extend.
one, is there a heat source near the line or the jack in question? if so, either relocate the line or insulate it. if the jack is near an exhaust, you may have to add a shield. when was the last time the system was repaired? was a hose relocated near a heat source?, or a heat shield left off.
the second is the cylinder it self. if the seals are defective, or the rod bent, the only solution is to have the cylinder rebuilt, which is the cheapest, or replace it, with a reman cylinder.
hwh or stuarts can help you with that.
if you allow the problem to persist, it will eventually short the hydraulic solenoid for that jack. i see that a lot. when you have to use a 2 x 4 more than once, its time to get the repair done. it will save you a LOT of money in the long run.
please call me if i can help. 1-602-549-3638
paul maddox
i do work for hwh. i do not sell parts, or solicit service work on this forum.
when you call, i can help with the location of a part, or service work, just not here on the forum. i dont generally do service work anyway. just too old for that.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:42 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I had hydraulic jacks on my Safari Simba that would set off the alarm going over bumps as well. Turned out it just needed a tiny bit of fluid added to the reservoir.

Tags
jacks, leveling, leveling jacks