Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2017, 10:37 AM   #1

Leveling jacks bent

My front jacks were bent when I bought this MH. Both at the same angle and distance, maybe 10 to 20 degrees. I assume what happened is the coach shifted some how. So me and my buddy got under there and he has a really cool hydraulic, hand operated like a grease gun type thing with a hose and Jaw that expands outward. On the one side we were able to move it back in place because the leaf spring was there close enough to push against. The other side we can't do that. So I need to get under there and remove the jack from the BRacket that bolts to the frame and either replace it or see if a shop can straighten it out.

I don't know the brand, yet. When I crawl under it again I will look, and these jacks do not have the springs to retract. I'm new to this so bare with me. I hope I explained it ok, but, I'm open to ideas and thoughts and what you did if you had to.
What I really want to know as well is, How did it happen in the first place. Only thing that comes to mind right off is they were on a sideways slope and gravity pulled it to the side.
Thanks Friends.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2017, 10:43 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Not sure of your jack type but it sounds like one of those “I told you so” about having jacked the wheels up off the ground. A no-no in my, and many other’s book, for this very reason.
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:48 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
That's why they tell you to keep the tires on the ground. I've been guilty of lifting the front off the ground in some locations but I saw a guy do it the other day and he got the same result you have. Now I block up the tires to almost level and then use the jacks. Good luck with your repair.
1995 Warrior
Hufficon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:48 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If they are HWH hyd units they are designed with a pivot. They can be anywhere from vertical to 15° or 20° off. The pivot helps keep them from permanently bending as well as accomodating ground slope.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 11:07 AM   #5

I see HWH a lot here. What does that stand for please? Thankyou
Old 10-24-2017, 11:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge68474 View Post
I see HWH a lot here. What does that stand for please? Thankyou
That would be HWH Corp.

Welcome to HWH Corporation
Old 10-24-2017, 11:45 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Considering the phase used "sideways slope" I'm guessing the jacks weren't bent front to back. Kind of eliminates driving with a partial extension. Could have been any number of events that caused the damage. The nightmare scenario that comes to mind would be a side of the road flat tire. Coach parked on a slope and the owner used the jacks to raise the coach to change the tire.

Concerning who made your jacks, usually the OEM name is on the control panel.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:00 PM   #8

Thanks Sweet. I will look at the Control Panel. Yep, that would be a scenario all right, tire change, who knows for sure. I will definitely carry a good size bottle jack for those times. I've changed a flat on a big rig manually before, not fun, slow, but doable. All part of my new Senior exercise program, lol.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:16 PM   #9

LCI, Lippert, is the name on the controller panel in dash. I called them. I'm not liking customer service these days. Ended up they said to call Holiday Rambler. Then I'm on wait forever. Forget that. So I decided to call REV parts. Now, customer service is very good there. I ended up send him an email with a pic of the jack and bracket. He hasn't got back to me on that but he said, I, HE, may have to call LCI and explain some things to them. Anyway, we'll see what happens from there. At least REV was very helpful, I appreciated that.
Have a Great Day.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:58 PM   #10

Is it the mount that is bent or the chrome tubular cylinder? If the former, sounds like your friend used an autobody hydraulic cylinder to bend it back (the mount, hopefully). You can buy a really cheap kit from Harbor Freight that comes into handy for these types of repairs. In the past, before I had proper frame straightening system, I would tie off to a stout tree and use that to pull on things to get them straight again. Remember that you generally should bend things back while they are still attached so the mount gets pulled back like it should be as well. Even if you replace the jack, check that it's securing location is straight.

An autobody shop can straighten it out readily.

If the bend is the tubular cylinder - don't try to bend it back. Needs to be replaced. Both because strength is now compromised, but more importantly, you'll never get it perfectly straight again and the seals will be compromised and the cylinder might not retract if it's a tad bent or oblong. Only possible way to straighten it would be if it was taken apart, put on a hydraulic press and use a dial indicator to ensure it's straight.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:30 PM   #11

Thanks. No it's the bracket that attaches to the frame. I can see where it pulled out at the bottom. The cylinder appears to be welded to it's bracket, then it's bolted to the bracket that bolts to the frame. I don't think the bracket that bolts to the frame is welded also, I hope not. And if they did they most likely just tacked it.
The guy at REV, his name is Quentin, is going to " go to work for ya " and see if he can get just the bracket. Nice guy, very helpful. I took a pic ofg it with me cell phone. I'll try to get it attached here.
My other option is take it to a shop and see if they can straighten it out.
Thanks for your replies. I really like this website, you are all very helpful. I like that in a person.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:10 AM   #12

Lets see if I can attach a pic. I may have to resize it again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	014.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	416.4 KB
ID:	181037  
Old 10-26-2017, 06:12 AM   #13

Woo Hoo. Did it first try, lol.
So now you can see what I have and have a better picture of it.
Thanks Dav on the autobody shop mention. I do know a guy who repaired my totaled by insurance company pickup, and he did a great job. Thanks for reminding me.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:43 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
If you can get near a tree or have a heavy piece of equipment you can put a chain or heavy strap around the jack around the jack. You can then pass a come- a -long under the coach and pull it back straight. It works because we did it to my neighbors. We then fabricated a brace using muffler clamps and angle iron to tie the jacks together.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, leveling, leveling jacks