Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2015, 03:23 PM   #1

Leveling Jacks Creeping down-normal?

Hi, I don't know what brand my hydraulic leveling jacks are, but I have a 2015 Itasca Sunstar 35F. This is our first RV with hydraulic leveling jacks. During our last trip we noticed a loud pooping sound and the RV would shudder. This was intermittent and mostly at night. Just one or two pops. It was hot during the day, cooler at night. When we got back I asked our dealer about this. Our dealer stated that this was a "normal" creeping condition due to temperature changes from a hot day to a cool night. Can anyone confirm this or is my dealer just telling me a story?
Hula Lula is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2015, 03:49 PM   #2

We spend 7-8 months a year in ours and haven't experienced what you describe.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 04:24 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Our rig had a time when one of the jacks would slowly collapse, over the course of a couple weeks you could see it.

We have Power Gear system, 3 jacks, one in the front and two in the back.

The main control block has pressure release screws so that you can retract the jacks if the pump goes out. Sometimes a piece of trash gets in the solenoid. When this happens they recommend releasing the pressure using the screw and it flushed the trash out of the valve.

After we did that no more problems, ours stays jacked up in the driveway for 2-4 months at a time in between use. The jacks keep it at level for extended periods of time in varying temps without a problem.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 04:40 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I've never noticed mine move, either. Nor any popping. Our hydraulics are HWH. If yours are, too, I'd have them checked out. You might have a leak. /ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 04:47 PM   #5

A group of our friends, including us have had the same thing on our 2011-2014 models.
So I would say it is normal/common.

Ours was a little low on fluid and adding some got rid of most of it.
Old 12-23-2015, 04:52 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not sure about the dealer's explanation. Hydraulic oil is pretty stable stuff regarding thermal expansion and contraction. Along the lines of transmission fluid and probably is transmission oil. Plus with the system under the coach out of direct sun where the temperature swing isn't as great as something out in the open in direct sun light.

Try cycling the jacks to full extension and retraction a few times just to be sure there's no air bubbles in the system. With the jacks fully retracted check the oil level against what the jack manufacture recommends.

Concerning what brand you have the operators manual should be part of the stack of literature that came with the coach. Also the operators panel should have the brand name and maybe model/version.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 05:02 PM   #7

Thanks for everyone's input so far. Next time I get the chance, I think I will cycle the hydraulic levelers a couple of times then set it to level and see if the problem repeats. I understand there could be an internal leak some where I cant diagnose, but I am seeing no external leakage at all at this time.
Old 12-23-2015, 05:15 PM   #8

i have the same unit and yes it will do that
Old 12-23-2015, 05:33 PM   #9
KEH

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mine will do the popping every now and then. It's due to my LR jack leaking fluid. I will be adding some Lucas stop leak to the reservoir and then cycling the jacks. This has worked for me in the past. Do you notice wetness on any of your jack pads?
Fulltimer's - Class of 2014
KEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 05:43 PM   #10

Sounds like one of the four valves does not seal up well and leaks just a little oil. You probably notice it at night because you're in the coach at a quieter time. During the day and being outside some, you may not notice.

Finding which valve leaks can be determined by taking an exact extension measurement of the jacks after you level the coach. Then after you have camped for a couple of days, take another measurement and see which one has shortened up some. Hopefully there will be just one.
Since you have one jack that collapses a bit, it will put a twist on your coach, so don't retract any slide until you extend the front two jacks slightly to relieve the twist on the chassis.
I have a 2015 Sunstar 36Y and they have a Lippert leveling system. Not the greatest in the world, but it's better than nothing. In my opinion, extending the front two jacks should always be the final step in leveling the coach.
Old 12-23-2015, 05:50 PM   #11

Hi All, I just found another blog talking about it on the Lippert hydraulic leveling systems. Seems to be a common problem, checkout:

https://www.heartlandowners.org/arch...p/t-30522.html

Heartland Owners Forum > HEARTLAND RVs GENERAL AREA > Exterior Components - For all Heartland brands > Frame / Landing, Leveling & Stabilizing Gear > Popping noise - I've had it checked by dealer
Old 12-23-2015, 06:16 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
I agree with alank (above), but have a more simple method of checking to see if one or more of the jacks are actually leaking down.

Use the levelers to level the mh. Take a "marks-a-lot" pen and crawl under the coach and make a line on the ram (silver part) of each jack about a 1/4" below the ram's housing. The next day, crawl back under and see if any of the markings have moved upwards or are actually back up into the ram housing.

I had a similar situation last year and turned out one of my solenoids was leaking fluid back into the reservoir. Replaced the solenoid and all was well again.

Good luck

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 08:48 PM   #13

Ron, Kudo's to you,
most likely much simpler for the majority of RVr's to see which one is leaking.

Tags
jacks, leveling, leveling jacks