Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2022, 06:50 PM   #1

Question Leveling Jacks Won't Retract

I have a 2005 Safari Cheetah and the 3 leveling jacks do not completely retract. I was told by a repair facility that there is debris in the hydraulic lines and they cannot repair as they do not have the capabilities. Looking for ideas to clear lines myself or a facility in the central AR area that can accommodate the repairs.
paulm58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2022, 10:54 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulm58 View Post
I have a 2005 Safari Cheetah and the 3 leveling jacks do not completely retract. I was told by a repair facility that there is debris in the hydraulic lines and they cannot repair as they do not have the capabilities. Looking for ideas to clear lines myself or a facility in the central AR area that can accommodate the repairs.
Well,
As long as I've been RVing, I think this is the first time I've heard of "debris" in the hydraulic lines for the leveling system. Can there be, well, I guess it's possible. Is it probable? Well, my rationelle is, unless the internal components of that hydraulic system is deteriorating, there's not much chance that you can get "debris" in the lines. And even if that was the case, I don't see why you couldn't disconnect the jacks at the fittings, one at a time, run the pump and maybe flow some fluid out each line. Would that work, heck I don't know. Never had to deal with it.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 05:25 AM   #3

First off what type of leveling system do you have? Reason I asked is if its the one style with the springs that raise the jacks maybe the springs are weak, and need replaced. I know on my unit I have one jack that does not like to raise all the way, about every other time I spray lube on the cylinder and the jack goes right up.

Arkansas is a fairly large state, if you are close to Branson MO you might check out Branson Motor Coach for your repairs.

https://www.bransonmotorcoach.com/
be-happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 06:03 AM   #4

I agree with the other two posters. Try the easy things first. Lubricate the shiny chrome pistons with the recommended lube for the manufacturer of your system. Power Gear recommends to clean and spray silicone spray on the legs several times a year. Some other systems indicate WD-40.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 07:18 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
As for clearing the lines of any debris (if there is debris in the system), I would disconnect the lines on both ends and blow clean dry air through the line. It will be messy with all the hydraulic fluid. Check the solenoid valves to be sure they are not restricted.

Before you start all of this, if you have the HWH levelers that use springs to return the levelers to the stored position. Missing or weak springs can be a problem and are easily replaced.

Other leveler systems use a hydraulic power return for the level jacks. Make sure that the pump is running, and the solenoid valve is operating and not plugged.

I have not heard of debris in these systems. Has the RV been in high water that could have gotten into the hydraulic reservoir? If you get water into the hydraulic fluid, it can cause all sorts of problems. Look at the reservoir and see if the oil is cloudy which could indicate contaminated oil. This will require a complete drain and flush of the system.

This is a 17-year-old RV and are you the original owner or a secondary owner?

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 07:30 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Can you pry them up with using something like a 2x4 and something under it to pivot on?

Likely tired springs if so.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 07:35 AM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
As others say, I'm skeptical that it is debris in the system, but you can flush the lines easily by removing each at the cylinders, and putting into a drain bucket/bottle. Fill the tank and cycle the raise a few times until the fluid out of the lines is clear. Do same for the raise side next. Keep refilling the tank as the level drops, don't let the pump run dry. I don't recommend blowing compressed air into the lines...

And if these are the spring return type of levelers then check the springs to make sure they're up to specification. (Or just replace them, which will be a really fun experience...)
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 07:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulm58 View Post
BTW Paul, I see this is your first post and I wanted to say
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, leveling, leveling jacks