Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2011, 12:01 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
The older RV frigs were more sensitive to level than the new ones. Basically, if you are reasonably comfortable in the RV it will probably be OK.

ken
Agree...if you're okay, the refrig will be okay.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2011, 05:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
There's nothing wrong with the the theory of operation of the absorption system. There's nothing wrong with the design of the system. The problem lies in the manufacture of the cooling unit. If you put an Amish cooling unit in the refrigerator it works fine, and leveling is part of the normal setup of the RV so I guess I missed your point.
In stationary use they are fine. Had a Servel LP unit in my vacation home. Except for spider blockage of the orfice during off season shut down, it operated well for 30+ years.

In mobile use, the flame can blow out while driving. Yes, you can turn on the AC heater, but that's one more thing to think about. The vibration in a MH also causes other problems, such as cracks that lead to leakage and possible fire. Only time will tell if the Amish cooling units are a long term solution to leakage. Also, An LP fridge is just another place for propane to leak.

Then there's rusty flue problems, burner problems etc.

On balance, I would much prefer a traditional compressor style fridge. Much better for safety and reliability. JMHO.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 05:48 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Len,
I agree with you on the maintenance point, but then again everything on an RV requires more maintenance. The past few RV shows I've been to had residential refers in most coaches. If the trend continues it could mean Norcold and Dometic could be in trouble.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:01 PM   #18

Quote:
but then again everything on an RV requires more maintenance.
Boy, that's the truth. I thought I'd retired from being a mechanic.

I never thought I'd find anything that was higher maintenance than the DW.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 03:56 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post
Boy, that's the truth. I thought I'd retired from being a mechanic.

I never thought I'd find anything that was higher maintenance than the DW.
You just gotta love RVing, if not an RV is just another job on wheels. Short of annual cleaning and adjusting and 1 control board never had any problem with the fridge, just level where the coach is comfortable.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:25 AM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
calculating degrees

To find the degrees, you need to divide the opposite(18") by the adjacent(480") and multiply times tangent.
Peterd503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:31 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yup. I used Trig to determine how much I could be off in my MH and still meet the refridge specs.
In my 228" wheelbase MH I could be out up to about 12" front to back to meet the 3 degree refridge side to side max angle and up to about 7" side to side of the MH to meet the 6 degrees of the front to back refridge angle max.
But as was said generally as long as you feel comfortable in the MH as far as level goes the refridge should be fine.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:42 AM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It is suggested that you place a level (I perfer the small round bubble type) on the floor of the fridge. If the RV is level, then my bubble is level.

Works for me.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:24 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Hubrich View Post
It is suggested that you place a level (I perfer the small round bubble type) on the floor of the fridge. If the RV is level, then my bubble is level.

Works for me.
I do the same.
In fact I calibrated my round bubble level that is mounted by my leveling jack controls to be the same as a round bubble level placed on the inside floor of my refridge.

Helmut
Old 05-19-2011, 09:19 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Hubrich

Works for me.
Alternatively a wine glass will also work. If the liquid is level, so are you and you can congratulate yourself with a tasty wine reward for your levelling genius
Old 05-19-2011, 10:29 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post
On balance, I would much prefer a traditional compressor style fridge. Much better for safety and reliability. JMHO.
bluepill,

Try running a compressor style fridge of batteries for a week and then tell me how much you like it.

-- Loren
Old 05-19-2011, 10:47 PM   #26

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I jsut got done

Quote:
There's nothing wrong with the the theory of operation of the absorption system. There's nothing wrong with the design of the system. The problem lies in the manufacture of the cooling unit. If you put an Amish cooling unit in the refrigerator it works fine, and leveling is part of the normal setup of the RV so I guess I missed your point.
putting in an Amish cooling unit. It's running better than new and I can run at 4 rather than 5 and still get 10° in the freezer and under 40° in the refer, plus my cooling fan has never come on since the change.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:20 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
Alternatively a wine glass will also work. If the liquid is level, so are you and you can congratulate yourself with a tasty wine reward for your levelling genius
Would Wild Turkey and Coke in a tumble work? If not I will have to go with the bubble level...
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 03:40 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo View Post
Would Wild Turkey and Coke in a tumble work? If not I will have to go with the bubble level...
That works for me, WAY to much concern about the fridge level for me. Got me so worried (I don't know Trig) about it now, I'm going to take the fridge out and use a plastic cooler to keep my Jim Beam and ice in, then no worries.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote