Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2011, 01:15 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to frederick w
leveling MH for frig.

How level does the MH have to be in order not to harm
the frig?
Having hard time to level MH perfectly.

Thank you in advance.
frederick w is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2011, 01:22 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I wouldn't stress too much about leveling for the frig. If you level for comfort your probably OK on the frig. But to answer your question, the manufacturers recommend 6 degress front to rear and 3 degrees side to side. The 6 degrees front to rear equates to approximately an 18 inch difference between the front and rear bumper on a 40 ft coach.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 01:55 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I think RJay has it almost correct. The front to back and side to side have to do with the refrigerator not the coach. If the refrigerator is mounted side ways (along the side of the coach) the side to side 3 degrees would be for the front to rear tilt of the coach.

The bottom line is the front to rear level of the coach is more important than the coach side to side level.

RJay is correct in that if your comfortable living on the coach it is, most likely within tolerance.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:09 PM   #4
IC2

I use one of those round "bulls eye" levels (I just leave it in the freezer). If the bubble is at least partially 'cut' by the inner line, I figure close enough. The actual number was given above and that's 3 degrees max, any direction for proper operation for a heat absorption reefer.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:18 PM   #5

I usually try to get mine to within a 1/2 bubble. More or less for my comfort. I have never had an issue with my fridge.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:30 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by awarnes View Post
I usually try to get mine to within a 1/2 bubble. More or less for my comfort. I have never had an issue with my fridge.
I also have a "bulls eye" level and level to 1/2 bubble favoring the side of the water compartment so the tanks dump better. It also diverts any condensation on the roof way from the activity side of the coach. The tilt is not noticeable in the coach.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
I wouldn't stress too much about leveling for the frig. If you level for comfort your probably OK on the frig. But to answer your question, the manufacturers recommend 6 degress front to rear and 3 degrees side to side. The 6 degrees front to rear equates to approximately an 18 inch difference between the front and rear bumper on a 40 ft coach.
i always thought that also, but after going back aND rereading, i found it said that reading is while looking at the front of the fridge, which i assume means 3degrees front to back of coach and 6 side to side of coach.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:22 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The older RV frigs were more sensitive to level than the new ones. Basically, if you are reasonably comfortable in the RV it will probably be OK.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:09 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you get a blinking signal and a "NO CO" read out you are a little off. Turn off the refer and re position, don't try to reset without turning it off. If you should go into a permanent "NO CO" it requires a special reset.

Don, WIT 70041
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:03 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyb View Post
i always thought that also, but after going back aND rereading, i found it said that reading is while looking at the front of the fridge, which i assume means 3degrees front to back of coach and 6 side to side of coach.
You and GaryKD are both right. So revising my post means a 3 degree variance from front to back of the coach means 9 inches between the height of the front bumper to back for a 40 foot coach.

Thanks guys.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:17 PM   #11

I have a bubble gauge I put on the dash deck, which in my MH is level to the frig. As long as most of the bubble (3/4 or more) is in the gauge I seem to be ok. Once, when I was parked where I was not uncomfortable but "almost level" the frig shut down and started beeping. I really try for center level, or I shut down the frig when it is not attended.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:46 PM   #12

Yet another reason that absorption systems are just plain wrong for rv use.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:08 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post
Yet another reason that absorption systems are just plain wrong for rv use.
There's nothing wrong with the the theory of operation of the absorption system. There's nothing wrong with the design of the system. The problem lies in the manufacture of the cooling unit. If you put an Amish cooling unit in the refrigerator it works fine, and leveling is part of the normal setup of the RV so I guess I missed your point.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:23 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
If your coach was made in the 70,s or early 80,s and you are lucky enough to have the original coil it must be level. The newer coils can not be hurt by off level. Of course they will not cool as good if not level. The school (I have been to both) says half a bubble is OK. Also the old school rule of never park off level in a parking lot, has changed. The newer coils would have to be off level for several days to hurt the coil.
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote