Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2019, 11:39 AM   #1

Leveling procedure

I was hoping someone could tell me the proper sequence when parking and leveling My 2013 Fleetwood Expedition as I cannot
*find anything in the operations manual.

Currently my procedure is:

* * After parking I would dump the air system and then auto level with the jacks. This way seems logical as the jacks do not have as far to travel to level the coach.

When departing:

*Air up the bags first then* retract all jacks.*

The reason I ask is because when I follow the procedure as mentioned when departing I hear a load bang from the driver side rear air bag. I noticed that the bag makes the noise when it is unfolding as it inflates.

It seems like the bag somehow got twisted when deflating and the noise is when the bag snaps into place.*

Not sure if I have a bad air bag or I should not deflate the air before leveling with the jacks but if I do it this way I do not get all 4 jacks down. If all jacks do not deploy, would it the coach* be stable enough to extend the full room slide?*
FLavionics is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2019, 01:32 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
The bang from an air bag happens when it's extended then folds over itself as the suspension drops. The higher off the ground the levelers put the frame, the more likely it is to pop. I would check the mounting plates for the bag to make one of them hasn't become bent out of line, but the pop isn't anything to worry about unless something is out of alignment. Ours does it occasionally, always on the front when it's lifted high.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 04:11 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
We are kinda the same. Park, dump air, level then the slides come out. All with the coach running.

When ready to leave, fire up the coach, the suspension starts to inflate, now the jacks are all off the ground, bring in the slides.

It still makes no sense to me as I am bringing in the slides while the coach is not level anymore.

But so far, it is the best I have.
Blog: bailey18.com
AllanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 04:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanK View Post
We are kinda the same. Park, dump air, level then the slides come out. All with the coach running.

When ready to leave, fire up the coach, the suspension starts to inflate, now the jacks are all off the ground, bring in the slides.

It still makes no sense to me as I am bringing in the slides while the coach is not level anymore.

I follow your procedure except manual level

On start up my air bags don't inflate until I activate the leveling system

I have already brought the slides in before retracting the Jack's which start retracting after the air bags are full
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLavionics View Post
I was hoping someone could tell me the proper sequence when parking and leveling My 2013 Fleetwood Expedition as I cannot
*find anything in the operations manual.

Currently my procedure is:

* * After parking I would dump the air system and then auto level with the jacks. This way seems logical as the jacks do not have as far to travel to level the coach.

When departing:

*Air up the bags first then* retract all jacks.*

The reason I ask is because when I follow the procedure as mentioned when departing I hear a load bang from the driver side rear air bag. I noticed that the bag makes the noise when it is unfolding as it inflates.

It seems like the bag somehow got twisted when deflating and the noise is when the bag snaps into place.*

Not sure if I have a bad air bag or I should not deflate the air before leveling with the jacks but if I do it this way I do not get all 4 jacks down. If all jacks do not deploy, would it the coach* be stable enough to extend the full room slide?*
What does your owners manual tell you to do? It is the final authority.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:57 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
It's always best to follow the directions per your manufacturer. Leveling procedures seem to vary by mfr & what members follow with their coach may or may not apply to your circumstances.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 06:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
What does your owners manual tell you to do? It is the final authority.
Thats the problem. I cant find in the Fleetwood owners manual the proper procedure. I did call Fleetwood and they said I was doing it correctly. But thats when I get bang.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanK View Post

I have a full room slide and Fleetwood does not recommend having it out without all 4 jacks down. Now when I set the jacks before bags are deflated, sometimes not all 4 will extend. I suspect only what is required to level the coach. In the case where I am sitting in the driveway, only the back two extend. (If bags are not deflated first)
Old 05-04-2019, 12:23 PM   #9

Jayco Owners Club
Sounds like you are doing it right.
I have to park, turn off the engine, (won't work with engine running) and go to Accessory on ignition. Bags deflate, Press Auto lever and then wait till green light in center is on. Then put out slides. It states plainly to lever first then slides.
When leaving, just the opposite. Turn on the auto-leverl, press retract all jacks.
I have a sign that I place over the dash that has JACKS DOWN so I don't forget even tho when craning the engine, jacks automatic retract.

I do a walk around to insure jacks are up, slides are in, cords are stowed and we are road ready. I guess being a pilot for 47 years somethings just become habit!! Checklist are made for a reason!!!
DamonCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 12:36 PM   #10

And yet another one of those 10 owners 12 opinions subjects.

I went deep into this once for our Berks. Talked to factory, Equalizer. The latter doesn't care. They put whatever the manufacturer tells them in the book. They DO say that with an air suspension you need to build air before retracting levelers or your suspension may not inflate. (The pogo stick ride).

Forest River in the end states: "Whatever works for you".... Although that message is not consistent throughout the organization, let alone the dealers with their "Master Techicians".... more "10 techs, 12 opinions". I can't imagine other brands are varied enough in construction to make a difference.

IOW it's all over the map.

My opinion is that these units were built on their suspension NOT on the levelers which concentrate a lot of weight in 4 locations OTHER than the suspension. Some will deny this, but I KNOW the body creaks like a Spanish gallion in a North Sea storm when I level the thing. It twists, the shape changes. The slides were installed with the body UN-twisted. I know for a FACT that my kitchen Schwintek slide has a LOT harder time getting in and out when the coach is on levelers versus on the suspension. (Bags inflated or not makes not difference. Transfer of forces is at the mounting points.)

That said, making a slide go "up hill" by anything more than a little bit obviously adds to the work the extension mechanism has to do. If the site is level I extend slides while still on the bags. If the site is not level and the Schwintek would have to go uphill the lesser of evils is to use the levelers to bring that side DOWN for extension and then level. My other two slides are powerful and smooth enough not to care, although my 20-something foot wall slide also creaks quite a bit more on the legs versus the bags.

So, it all depends on the site. And, whatever works for you.

Again, que the savants with the "my way or the wrong way".
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 01:45 PM   #11

I always put the jacks down and level before extending my slides. Seems to me it is less stress on the slides,going out if the rig is level. They have to work harder going uphill when not level. When leaving I always retract the slides first and then bring up the jacks.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 11:18 PM   #12

Cut some 2x10 blocks put two under each Jack when you arrive at the campsite lower your Jack's so they just touch the blocks then dump your air and auto level as before the thought being the chassis will not drop as far into the suspension with the blocks
Kennzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 08:06 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

My Fleetwood American Coach had auto leveling. I push the button and it dumps suspension air and lowers the hydraulic jacks. The air takes awhile, so the jacks get level first in most cases (but not always). When departing its the opposite - the Rertract button closes the suspension air valves and the jacks begin to come up. Usually faster than the air suspension fills. Note also that the air fills only if the engine is running - no engine, no air.

Since that's the way it was set up when Fleetwood built it, one assumes it is the sequence they like.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:47 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
My Fleetwood American Coach had auto leveling. I push the button and it dumps suspension air and lowers the hydraulic jacks. The air takes awhile, so the jacks get level first in most cases (but not always). When departing its the opposite - the Rertract button closes the suspension air valves and the jacks begin to come up. Usually faster than the air suspension fills. Note also that the air fills only if the engine is running - no engine, no air.

Since that's the way it was set up when Fleetwood built it, one assumes it is the sequence they like.
I have done additional experiments and it seems like my coach operates the same way however I think its still necessary to deflate the bags manually first because the Jacks will extend faster than the bags will deflate. In my case, only my rear Jacks will go down if I don't deflate The bags completely before the auto level mode is pressed. At least in my driveway.

Tags
leveling