Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2021, 07:07 AM   #1

Leveling rod 2002 Newmar Dutch Star Spartan

Hello,

My rear air ride leveling rod broke and drug down the road. I got a new one but it’s a universal one and since the old one was dragging on the payment I have no idea how long it’s supposed to be. Can anyone offer info on where to
Find it or know the specs?

Thank you,
Jessi
Jschovaers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2021, 08:03 AM   #2

Yeah I get it. Here is a pic of the leaky valve and the linkages used

And when I ordered the replacement, this is what came in

What I ended up using was the loop from the original and the rod from the new

The length of the rod depends on where/how the rod ties into the connector that grabs the loop rod.
The valve on the opposite side of the coach was totally different, would have been interesting had I needed to replace that one.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 11:26 AM   #3

American Coach Owners Club
The length of the rod is set once the correct ride height is established.
Depending on the model of you Spartan chassis, the spec on a mountian master around that year is 8.5 inches from the bottom of the frame rail to the center of the rear axle housing. BUT you'll need to verify what your chassis spec is.
You'll manually adjust the valve, then adjust/fix the linkage at that height.

This ride height measurement / adjustment is critical to the driveline, rear transmission bearing and rear differential bearing as a misadusted height will couse a vibration and cause damage is short order.....
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 08:09 PM   #4

Exercise great caution when setting ride height! It is easy to let the air out of the springs and crush body parts or yourself. Use cribbing under frame for safety.
Assuming your chassis is a Spartan MM GT chassis with Reyco-Granning front and rear sections, the front is set so the distance between shock bolts/mounts is 16 and 1/8"
The rear suspension ride height is only found in the Spartan chassis manual and I cannot locate mine tonight.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dutch star, leveling, newmar, spartan