Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2020, 06:11 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Leveling System

We’ve used our automatic leveling system four times now on our 2020 Forest River FR3 and we love it. All of our sites have been pretty close to level so we haven’t used any blocks under the leveling pads. On our last trip another camper mentioned that using blocks keeps the levelers from extending too far and make the coach more stable. He also said the shorter the levelers extend adds to the life of the leveling system. We have two packs (20) of the orange LEGO style levelers from our old class C and could use five under each pad if that would help.

Does this all make sense? How do others with class A motorhomes handle their leveling?
“Don’t take life too seriously...Nobody gets out alive anyway”
rickemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2020, 06:27 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Constantly extending the levelers to the maximum can be tough on the seals but only extending them a very short amount won't make them last any longer.
I have always had good leveling using auto and never use blocks unless the site is way out of level
chuckftboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 08:48 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Why I agree with all that has been stayed, I would like to remind the OP that he will run into parks that require blocks under jacks and that he would want to elect using a few blocks under his pads when the ground is soft to reduce jack sinkage and to just be a good neighbor when parked on blacktop in warm weather where unblocked jacks can leave permanent dimples in the parks campsite.
Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 08:55 AM   #4

Most yellow block pads (the waffled ones) are supposed to be used in stacked pairs, minimum.

We've found that using those pads on gravel immediately wrecks the pad on the ground. So, I've painted a stripe on four of the destroyed pads (the bottoms are messed up by the gravel, but the tops still mate with good pads). I always put the striped pads down first and then stack onto them with good pads - otherwise, I'd keep having to throw away the ones that no longer "nest" properly...

As far as wear and tear on the jacks, I always figure the folks that designed the jacks knew what they were doing and approved the application before selling the product - therefore, I'm not concerned about how much shaft is exposed, but I also take care to properly clean them as part of regular maintenance.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:21 PM   #5

I never have used blocks on my leveling system. I have the Quadra Big Foot levelers and they have a big foot. I would say 12"x12" hydraulic extending and the same for retracting, none of the cheap spring return that I had on another coach I had before, gasoline coach. I have had my coach since 2003 when it was new until today and never had any problems with extending too long or too short. What I do is dump the air when I am parked at a resort, then I extend the front levelers until they touch the ground and put a little pressure as needed to level the front, then I extend the rear same way, until they touch the ground and adjust to level. It gives you a solid platform to where your coach does not rock at all.

The levelers that I had before I believe they were HWH had return springs. I had to replace a spring in the first six months. I call them junk levelers.
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:01 PM   #6

I put Snap Pads on the pads of my jacks... helps them to not sink into gravel or dirt, protects asphalt on hot days, and basically protects any surface your jack pads contact...

I only use the few wooden leveling blocks I made for sites that have bad slope and I have to manually level the coach...

https://rvsnappad.com
Old 07-02-2020, 08:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChez1 View Post
I never have used blocks on my leveling system. I have the Quadra Big Foot levelers and they have a big foot. I would say 12"x12" hydraulic extending and the same for retracting, none of the cheap spring return that I had on another coach I had before, gasoline coach. I have had my coach since 2003 when it was new until today and never had any problems with extending too long or too short. What I do is dump the air when I am parked at a resort, then I extend the front levelers until they touch the ground and put a little pressure as needed to level the front, then I extend the rear same way, until they touch the ground and adjust to level. It gives you a solid platform to where your coach does not rock at all.

The levelers that I had before I believe they were HWH had return springs. I had to replace a spring in the first six months. I call them junk levelers.
+1 We have Quadra Bigfoot also - zero trouble.

But, some campgrounds have "require" a pad - so we throw our yellow ones down that we have from when we had Atwood LeveLegs. I've tried to explain that Bigfoot already has a big foot - to no avail...
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 10:01 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

With some brands & models of levelers, keeping the jack ram at something less than full extension might be a bit more stable. That assumes the jack itself tends to wobble a bit. None of my coaches ever did that (2 Power Gear systems, 1 Equalizer system), but I've seen a few that did. The HWH knee-action jacks were one such, and I've heard some electric jacks were also a bit shaky if extended very far. I'd say just use your judgement; if you aren't observing any movement, don't worry about it.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 10:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChez1 View Post

I level like you do and that keeps the jacks at the least possible extension which increases stability in the coach by keeping it lower to the ground

I carry 2x12x36 wood blocks for gravel or hot asphalt

Will add I destroyed the plastic pads left over from the camper very quickly
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 11:21 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan&Jacquie View Post
Why I agree with all that has been stayed, I would like to remind the OP that he will run into parks that require blocks under jacks and that he would want to elect using a few blocks under his pads when the ground is soft to reduce jack sinkage and to just be a good neighbor when parked on blacktop in warm weather where unblocked jacks can leave permanent dimples in the parks campsite.
X2!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 04:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hattitude View Post
I put Snap Pads on the pads of my jacks... helps them to not sink into gravel or dirt, protects asphalt on hot days, and basically protects any surface your jack pads contact...

I only use the few wooden leveling blocks I made for sites that have bad slope and I have to manually level the coach...

https://rvsnappad.com
X2....for SnapPads.

Tags
leveling, leveling system