Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2010, 06:25 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Leveling, wheels off the ground?

I am new to motorhome leveling and on my 2011 Hurricane when I use the automatic leveling function sometimes the front wheels are off or almost off the ground. Is this okay or should I place boards under the wheels to keep some weight and stablity on them? Thank you.
GeoRuple is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2010, 07:01 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I don't like to have my wheels off the ground when leveled. When I get a site that's not level I place pieces of 2x10's in front of each tire on the low side and drive up on them and also put 4x4's under the low side jack pads and then level. If your on soft ground you'll probably need two 4x4's under each jack pad. The reason I use 4x4's under the jack pads is I don't like to fully extend my jacks, the more of the ram you leave in the jack the better IMHO.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:25 AM   #3

I have raised my front tires of our Hurricane off the ground on several occasions with no problems. That said, I have also seen a Hurricane with pads under the jacks slide off the pads. The biggest rule is do not raise the rear wheels off the ground ever!! Your parking brake is on the driveshaft and works only on the rear axle. With the rear off, you have nothing to keep the coach from rolling foward or back. Also remember that with only one rear on the ground, the coach can still roll off.

When at home, I have to raise the front off the ground to level, so I do put boards under the fronts to taks some weight off the jacks.
Noelj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:28 AM   #4

This has been discussed here before and many have front wheels off the ground.

I have DP and at my son's home I stay there for often extended periods with my front wheels far off the ground.

Never had a problem and this is same with many others.

But if it worries you about having them off, block them up.

Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoRuple View Post
I am new to motorhome leveling and on my 2011 Hurricane when I use the automatic leveling function sometimes the front wheels are off or almost off the ground. Is this okay or should I place boards under the wheels to keep some weight and stablity on them? Thank you.

Southern California
BZam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:46 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No problem with the fronts in the air. Just remember that the step to the ground will be a real crotch ripper !
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:22 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Having owned one coach that popped its windshield loose if the front wheels dangled in the air, I now avoid it on others as well. Not every coach will have this problem, but who wants to find out the hard way? I carry short 2x10's and use them if needed (not often). They lay flat on the storage bay floor and other gear piles on top, so they don't take much room.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:16 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are folks who will tell you that the suspension is designed to support the rig and not the wheels and thus you will damage the suspension if you lift the wheels off the ground.. I, personally do not believe that is true. However I post this because there is a chance I might be mistaken.. BUT there is more.

IF you lift BOTH front wheels off the ground (or very nearly left both) then a strong guest of wind can push the rig sideways.. The jacks are designed to LIFT the rig, they are designed to support a COMPRESSION load only.. A torsion load can turn 'em into pretzels and quick. So you want to keep at least one front wheel FIRMLY on ground or blocks.

And BOTH back wheels,,, Just to complete the post (Since that prevents not only side to side but front back and one wheel off the ground it can slide/roll forward)
Old 08-09-2010, 07:26 AM   #8

I cut some wedges from an oak tree that I cut down. They are 8" wide,24 inches long and slope from 1" to 6 inches.I place them in front of the tires that have to be raised.I drive up till the bubbles show level.Then I set the jacks.If the backs need raising I use one under each tire.Before the wedges I used 2x10sand stacked what I thought I needed.
BOB
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 02:00 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Leveling

Want to thank all that have replied to my question. Finally received a reply from the manufacture, they do not advise to lift wheels off of the ground, advised to use boards if necessary.
GeoRuple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:03 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sounds like they have a fine product. How do you change tires ? Windshields popping out, jacks bending, strong winds causing jacks to fail, no wonder these manufacturers go out of business.
I have worked on my sons Weekend Warrier . He paid a premium for it because it was supposed to be one of the best. It is a total piece of junk. It might look pretty on the outside but underneath it's trash, and I'm being kind !!
Old 08-09-2010, 03:40 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Yep a crotch ripper ...I'm just sayin'
ZephyrKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:55 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZephyrKnight View Post
Yep a crotch ripper ...I'm just sayin'
And does that get my short legged co pilot wound up. There is no peace until this is fixed .
Old 08-09-2010, 05:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
IF you lift BOTH front wheels off the ground (or very nearly left both) then a strong guest of wind can push the rig sideways.. The jacks are designed to LIFT the rig, they are designed to support a COMPRESSION load only.. A torsion load can turn 'em into pretzels and quick. So you want to keep at least one front wheel FIRMLY on ground or blocks.

And BOTH back wheels,,, Just to complete the post (Since that prevents not only side to side but front back and one wheel off the ground it can slide/roll forward)
Ditto...

I agree with this method. Jacks are not meant for any type of torsional or side loading, so if you have heavy winds, or heavy inside movement the jacks may be affected in a negative way, especially if you have the rig very high in the air.

Bottom line, and duly noted that opinions will vary, it MAY not hurt the rig to have the fronts off the ground, however, it is always best to ensure the highest level of stability for your stay. That would be with the rig as close to the ground as possible while supported by the jacks. Sometimes with blocks of wood under the wheels, and sometimes digging a hole can help.
This past week I was in a location in which the front was almost three feet higher than the rear, I dug a two foot hole for each of the front tires, and then leveled, worked great, and all the wheels stayed on the ground (I also need to mention that I did fill in the holes upon my departure).

Never raise the rear wheels off the ground as this may cause the MH to roll on the fronts (the parking break is on the rear tires).

Can you do it, yes, should you do it is based on the current situation. My only advice, please just let common sense prevail.

Happy Campin
Bill
Old 08-09-2010, 06:05 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Here is another suggestion for you. If you use wood blocks to place under your jacks, try drilling a hole, threading a "yellow" rope thru it, and drag the wood blocks under the coach from the opposite side. This keeps you from having to reach underneath the coach to place the blocks and the yellow rope left beside the outside of the tire will be a reminder to remove the blocks before driving off Of course this only works if your front jacks are in front of your tires. And likewise, the rear jacks are behind the rear tires.

Personally, I use the rope idea even though my rear jacks are between the rear axle and tag axle as it makes it easier to remove the blocks and once again, is a reminder.

Dave