Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2017, 01:12 PM   #15

Always park in the garage, the floor is level, so I only use jacks when putting out the full wall slide. And just have it out to clean after a trip, than close it up and raise the jacks. But when setting thru the winter, will air the tires to the max, on side walls.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2017, 09:41 AM   #16

New to the whole MH but not new to RV's. Left my jacks extended for the whole winter and did not seem to be an issue at all. I like the idea of level as it seems all the slides are where they should be. Not very experienced though. Just my humble opinion.
Old 04-16-2017, 10:06 AM   #17
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This is my 4th MH with HWH Jacks. I store it in an attached garage and have always leveled the MH even during the 4 months I don't use it. I have never had a problem with the jacks retracting for the first trip out in the spring. One time I had to replace a jack due to a leaking seal.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:35 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Mine is on the jacks when in storage. Really no particular reason why, but it's what I chose to do.

During the winter I take the motorhome out once per month, fire up the generator, turn the heat pumps on, and take it for a 60+ mile drive.

I think it's good for the unit, and I enjoy driving it. It kind of helps me count down through the winter.
affreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:48 PM   #19

It all depends in what part of the country you live in or store the coach. If it is dry climate I would not worry too much if the levelers were down for two or three months, but if I lived where there is a lot of moisture then I believe I would not extend them unless you spray the shafts down real good with silicone lubricant. But where I live it is the high deserts of California and I do leave the levelers extended to take weight off the tires. Being doing it since I bought the coach new in 2003 and it has worked good for me.
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 04:41 AM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
This is my procedure for over winter storage. I have some blocks that are stacked underneath where the jack pads are. I then dump the air, and the coach squats right on the blocks. This takes some weight off the tires.

The location I park has a slight tilt, so the downhill side has a slightly higher set of blocks. Coach levels right out during the squat.

To remove the blocks start up the engine and remove the parking brake (while keeping your foot on the service brake), the suspension will then air up. Put the parking brake back on, get out and remove blocks, then ready to drive off after you do a walk around.

Advantages:
- coach is stored level, so slides can be moved in or out with no trouble
- majority of coach weight is supported by the blocking/jacks, not the tires
- jacks are not extended, so there is no exposed piston and don't have to worry about grime or rust on the piston surface.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:15 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Use the jacks, that's what they are for...also, don't start the engine if it's a diesel unless you drive it enough to bring all the temps up to normal.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:22 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
We put the jacks down and level the coach because we run the slides out. Indoor storage in our shed.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:09 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
Use the jacks, that's what they are for...also, don't start the engine if it's a diesel unless you drive it enough to bring all the temps up to normal.
Couldn't have said it better myself, I also pull the lanyards.
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:51 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by spsm View Post
Couldn't have said it better myself, I also pull the lanyards.
I was told by a Freightliner mechanic that if your air dryer was working proper, that it is really not necessary to pull on the lanyards.

I have had my coach now since new in 2003 and I have pulled the lanyards a few times, and nothing but air comes out of the reservoirs.

I know that years ago it was necessary to bleed the fluids that accumulate in the reservoirs, but if the air dryer is working proper, it should blow it right out.
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 12:16 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChez1 View Post
I was told by a Freightliner mechanic that if your air dryer was working proper, that it is really not necessary to pull on the lanyards.

I have had my coach now since new in 2003 and I have pulled the lanyards a few times, and nothing but air comes out of the reservoirs.

I know that years ago it was necessary to bleed the fluids that accumulate in the reservoirs, but if the air dryer is working proper, it should blow it right out.
The point of pulling the lanyards nowadays is that you can get early indications of a problem. The Freightliner manual says that you should pull them about every six months, but Steve Horton at Camp Freightliner (an excellent help to Mike Cody) teaches that you should pull them after each trip. It doesn't hurt anything to do so, and that way if you do discover a problem, you've discovered it much earlier than up to six months down the road (less damage).
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:16 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWat View Post
...The Freightliner manual says that you should pull them about every six months, but Steve Horton at Camp Freightliner (an excellent help to Mike Cody) teaches that you should pull them after each trip...
Wish these guys would get their stories straight...my manual also says to pull them every six months. Last May at a rally, the Flnr tech said to do it six months also.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling, storage