Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2022, 06:55 AM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Liberty chassis coaches

Hello all diesel pusher guru's, I recently looked at an America Allegiance coach. Impressive! My research on this coach showed a Liberty Chassis using Spartan front and rear components. I like this Liberty bride design, make a lot of sense to me. So, now my questions are #1. who else uses the Liberty chassis in pre-DEF coaches? #2. anyone know of issues with this Liberty bridge chassis? #3. What is general view of this concept for RV design and construction? Looking forward to a good discussions on this topic. Best regards, Bill
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2022, 09:54 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have the Liberty chassis in my '04 American Eagle. I am unclear as to how it differs from other Spartan chassis as I don't see any listings or specifics on Spartan's website or if there are unique parts to it. I hope you get some responses to help us both out. I've not had any issues with mine to speak of. I'm about to have the airbags replaced and the ball joints inspected. I don't know if the Liberty chassis suffers from the same ball joint issues as do other Spartan designs of this era. Following.
oldnavycdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 06:29 PM   #3

I know others have a lot more knowledge on this than I do but from my recollectdion, the Liberty chassis was used exclusively on Fleetwood's American line of products from what i remember. I seem to rmember that it could have either FCCC or Spartan components. It later was used in the design of other Fleetwood models and called "Power Bridge" based on the same design as the Liberty. So I think it was proprietary to Fleetwood?

Edited to add:

Here's an older thread from 2013 that explains a bit more-

Freightliner clips - AC with the Freightliner Liberty chassis & Detroit Diesel power?

And an article from 2008 from FMCA:

Fleetwood RV’s New Power Bridge Chassis
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 06:45 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
2005 was the changeover year for Fleetwood Revolutions. Available as “LE” with the Liberty chassis. In retail price that year, about $30K more (also upgraded to Cat C9 and 4 jack system).
Old 03-18-2022, 06:55 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think REV uses this "bridging process" for most of their higher end diesel coaches and for each segment (American Coach, Discovery LXE, and Holiday Rambler Armada) assigns it a slick marketing name (Liberty Bridge, Freedom Bridge, Titan Bridge). While I don't have 100% knowledge of the overall process, I would almost bet my left arm that its pretty much the same concept across the board, there are just different chassis components at the front and back end of the coach (Freightliner or Spartan).

In case you haven't seen these, or don't know what we are speaking of, here are a couple of videos that explain the process that REV uses.

Liberty Bridge

Freedom Bridge
DuaneMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 09:42 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

"Liberty" is Fleetwood's (and now Rev's) name for their custom diesel chassis, so no other manufacturer uses it. Basically it consists of front & rear axle clips from a major chassis builder joined by a "bridge" designed and built by Fleetwood/Rev. The bridge provides the basement storage area as well as frame rails and associated components.

Depending on the year, the front & rear clips can be from either Spartan or Freightliner Custom Chassis (FCCC). In fact, in 2004-2005 the buyer could select which one was used. My 2004 American Tradition used the FCC clips but the Spartan ended up being the more popular choice. Note I said "more popular", which is not the same as "better". For several years after that Liberty used only Spartan clips, but Rev eventually went back to FCCC.

Winnebago did essentially the same thing with their higher end diesels, buying axle clips (from Freightliner) and building their own "bridge" section to join them. They call it the Maxum chassis.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 11:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
"Liberty" is Fleetwood's (and now Rev's) name for their custom diesel chassis, so no other manufacturer uses it. Basically it consists of front & rear axle clips from a major chassis builder joined by a "bridge" designed and built by Fleetwood/Rev. The bridge provides the basement storage area as well as frame rails and associated components.

Depending on the year, the front & rear clips can be from either Spartan or Freightliner Custom Chassis (FCCC). In fact, in 2004-2005 the buyer could select which one was used. My 2004 American Tradition used the FCC clips but the Spartan ended up being the more popular choice. Note I said "more popular", which is not the same as "better". For several years after that Liberty used only Spartan clips, but Rev eventually went back to FCCC.

Winnebago did essentially the same thing with their higher end diesels, buying axle clips (from Freightliner) and building their own "bridge" section to join them. They call it the Maxum chassis.
This is a great read. Very informative.
big willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 01:40 AM   #8

My father owned an 05 American Eagle. It was his pride and joy. Purchased in 08 and sold in 13. In those few years he had it no real major issues with the unit AFAIK but it was relatively new. It had the Spartan front and rear clips. I believe that the Spartan was more expensive than the FCCC but I may be incorrect on that. In the end both have IFS and his was a side radiator with fiberglass roof. Pretty much covers it as far as I am concerned. I would not hesitate on one or the other with either the FCCC or Spartan clips.
Prof_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 06:30 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have a Liberty chassis. When shopping for parts at Syift (Spartan Parts) I'm not afforded the "Liberty" option under the chassis selection. I gather the Liberty is merely a front and rear of a Spartan chassis manufactured at the time, but which one? Mine is a 2004.
oldnavycdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 07:10 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

oldnavycdr... Call Spartan with your chassis VIN to get more info on your specific configuration. Meanwhile, this 2004 Eagle brochure might help a bit.

Freightliner designates their front/rear clip option as the "modular chassis" and labels it the XCM chassis. I have not seen any similar designation from Spartan.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2004_American Eagle.pdf (785.9 KB, 35 views)
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis