RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2011, 07:48 AM   #15
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: norcal
Posts: 6
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
No, No, NO. In California they go by length rather than weight, if you are 40'1"" then you need a special license, under 40' no problem.

If you want to make the people made at the truck scales pull in, otherwise drive on by like the rest of us. Someone was really yanking your chain.

so if im towing a trailor i will need special licnse
cadiracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2011, 05:34 PM   #16
Senior Member
Texun1's Avatar
National RV Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 232
Originally Posted by texnet View Post
I don't believe this to be a gray area as it is spelled out by the Texas Department of Public Safety very well. It is also not subject to just Class A's as there are some might big Class B's and Class C's being made. It has to do with the GVWR of the vehicle.

In Texas if your MH's GVWR is 26,001 lbs or more then you are REQUIRED to obtain a Non-CDL Class B license to drive the MH for private use. The written test consist of a 20 or 25 question, can't remember the total number, and a driving test in the over 26,001 lbs vehicle.

I just took mine a few weeks ago and all of it was easy for me. The written portion is covered in the regular Texas Drivers Handbook in section 15 with 2-3 questions coming from the first part of the manual. A set of sample questions is included in the manual.

Texas has a form that exempts RV's over 26000 when driven for personal use. I had my license renewed last year and all I had to do was fill out the form in front of the examiner with the box checked.

See attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CDL-2.pdf (15.8 KB, 21 views)
2000 National Tradewinds
2008 Chevy HHR Toad
Our Travel Photos- www.Lookingglassphotos.com
Texun1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DZ license in Ontario experience terapin-bear iRV2.com General Discussion 34 12-07-2011 07:51 AM
Driver's License Upgrade BBBEEBOP Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 24 12-16-2009 10:35 PM
Drivers License Question Aggiepi iRV2.com General Discussion 36 07-29-2007 05:58 AM
Insurance, Legal License &The Law. (LONG) Arctic Owl Canada Region 43 07-21-2007 02:10 PM

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.