Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2021, 07:45 AM   #1

LifePO4 Battery Isolation

Trying to figure out how to manage lithium with alternator.

Here's my setup
680ah LifePO4 Coach Batteries
2 - 100ah AGM Chassis Batteries
1200 watts solar charging Coach Batteries
100 watt solar charging Chassis Batteries
8kw Generator Charging both Chassis/Coach Batteries
Engine Alternator Charging both Chassis.Coach Batteries

Currently managed with Precision Circuits Battery Isolation Manager

So I would like to just disconnect the Alternator charging of the Coach Batteries, or manage their charge demand somehow. I know there is a Li-BIM and Victron DC-DC charger, but I'm not sure how to use either of those with the current Precision Circuits BIM. The current set-up manages the generator charge for both banks and allows for bridging the two banks together with a dash switch if needed.

Anyone gone down this path?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Precision Circtuits BIM.png
Views:	48
Size:	415.7 KB
ID:	325538  
Attached Images

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2021, 09:10 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
This is what I use, it's best with agm starter battery's.

It does charge in both directions and limits the dray to 30 amps.

Very simple solution and cost effective I installed it where the Battery boost solenoid is was a very easy install.

The Magnum Smart Battery Combiner (ME-SBC) is designed to monitor and charge a second battery using a portion of the current that is charging a main battery.

The ME-SBC uses MOSFETs, which is a bidirectional electronic switch, control circuit that eliminates a significant voltage drop and provides automatic turn on and off based on adjustable voltage setpoints; allowing different batteries to be charged from a single charging source and preventing over or under charging.

https://www.magnum-dimensions.com/sm...ttery-combiner

Old 04-19-2021, 09:37 AM   #3

Thanks for the feedback.
What I'm not sure is exactly how to wire it and if I need to remove the older Precision Circuits unit?

If I replace the Precision unit I'm not sure what to do with the Generator connection. I can live without the merge switch.
Old 04-19-2021, 10:26 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
I'd suggest contacting M and M electric. https://www.mmrvelectronics.com/prod...e/73-00635-000
It's where I bought my Smart Battery Combiner(same as in the post above) and they helped me with the connections and the setup.
Old 04-19-2021, 10:42 AM   #5

The LI-BIM would replace the BIM you have now. A simple swap out.

Once installed, it does everything the old BIM did, but cycles the chassis to house battery connection on and off, to limit alternator overheating.

You retain the boost start feature, where the magnum device won't carry the current for that.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 10:46 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
The SBC will directly replace the BIM you would need to down size the wire that connects to the BIM from the chassis and house battery’s be sure that all wires connected to each side of the BIM stay connected.

The BIM will not charge the chassis battery from the generator the generator powers the inverter/charger it charges the house battery’s from the inverter. The BIM only charges from the alternator to the house battery’s.

With the SBC both banks can charge from the alternator/generator/shore but at a max of 30amps.
Old 04-19-2021, 11:39 AM   #7

Awesome thanks. So I just lose Generator charging of the Chassis batteries and everything else works.
Old 04-19-2021, 12:43 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymanedge View Post
Thanks for the feedback.
What I'm not sure is exactly how to wire it and if I need to remove the older Precision Circuits unit?

If I replace the Precision unit I'm not sure what to do with the Generator connection. I can live without the merge switch.
I would not want to be without the boost switch just in case. The lithium BIM is a direct replacement for the older Precision Circuits BIM. The generator wire is not used with the new lithium BIM, just cap it off.

By the way when I had this exact same setup the older BIM did not charge while driving because the voltage of the house lithium bank never got low enough to trigger it. I now have the new lithium BIM and it works great.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 03:20 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
The magnum SBC charges both directions from chassis to house and house to chassis.

What it does is combine the two battery banks once the Parameters you set on the unit is reached.

So mine connects the two banks anytime the voltage is over (I think can remember this moment) 13.8 volts on any bank. It disconnects at 14.4 I think and has a low voltage cut out of 12.8.

I can’t remember the exact numbers I set at this time.

The high voltage keeps a charger from over charging a bank. The low cutoff keeps from not having any charge in the chassis battery’s.

The main idea is if any bank is charging send 30ams of the charge to the other bank. It’s very simple in its design.
Old 04-21-2021, 11:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The LI-BIM would replace the BIM you have now. A simple swap out.

Once installed, it does everything the old BIM did, but cycles the chassis to house battery connection on and off, to limit alternator overheating.

You retain the boost start feature, where the magnum device won't carry the current for that.

So I have run into an issue with the swap. When I have everything connected, except the GenSet is abandoned, there is no power across the Chassis side. The Coach side functions normally.

When I pull the Ignition and Signal wire off the Li-BIM the Chassis and Coach both work as intended. I checked the Ignition lead and it does in fact get chassis power when the ignition switch is on.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6781.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	325848   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6780.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	325849  

Name:	IMG_6439.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	325850  
Old 04-21-2021, 11:55 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
So I have run into an issue with the swap. When I have everything connected, except the GenSet is abandoned, there is no power across the Chassis side. The Coach side functions normally.

When I pull the Ignition and Signal wire off the Li-BIM the Chassis and Coach both work as intended. I checked the Ignition lead and it does in fact get chassis power when the ignition switch is on.
What is the house voltage when you are looking at the chassis side? The voltage may be too low for them to connect together.

Old 04-21-2021, 11:59 AM   #12

Chassis - 12.5v
Coach - 13.3v

I'm not worried about the connection switch or the alternator charging right now. I can't figure out why the chassis disconnect switch will not function if the ignition wire is connected.
Old 04-21-2021, 12:04 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I keep contemplating how best to do the same.

If I were to do it today...I would...

1) Replace my 10W unregulated Zamp solar panel with a single 200w panel and Victron charge controller for dedicated chassis batteries maintenance charging.

2) Replace my Precision Circuits BIM-225 with a similar battery joining relay, for dedicated emergency combining via the BOOST button. Hope I never need to use it.

3) Add a 100A dc - dc charging Victron unit which would add up to 100 A of regulated current to the house bank...mainly to assist my house solar array (1,440w) in running the air conditioner off inverter while driving.

Dry-in and insulate my battery compartment and add an additional oasis heat exchanger with coin type thermostat relay for preventing sub-zero battery bank temperatures. I am already using Oasis anytime outside temperatures drop below freezing...or even 40* F, for that matter. May as well keep the batteries warm the same way I keep my holding tanks warm.

Pretty sure this will fill all my desires...but I am of course looking for anything that does the same or better with less complexity.
Old 04-21-2021, 12:21 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Chassis - 12.5v
Coach - 13.3v

I'm not worried about the connection switch or the alternator charging right now. I can't figure out why the chassis disconnect switch will not function if the ignition wire is connected.
Might it have anything to do with the extra set of wires on the house and chassis terminals on the BIM?

Tags
battery, lifepo4