Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2015, 02:17 PM   #1

Lift Pump leaking

I have a 2002 Safari Sahara with 350 Cummins ISC, and recently discovered that my lift pump is leaking at the gasket where it meets the engine block. Just a weep. But want to fix it before it gets worse. I've sourced the pump thru Cummins (337.45), but am wondering about the labor involved. I'm getting quotes all over the place. 2-5 hours, between 80.00 to 130.00 an hour. Not sure which way to go. Or who to trust. I' m in western Washington, soon to be heading to AZ. I go thru Coburg OR on my way. Anybody have any input either here or there or otherwise. Thanks. Ed M. 2002 Safari Sahara.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2015, 04:14 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Is this a "C" engine rather than ISC? I though the IS-series Cummins (ISC, ISL, etc) had electric fuel lift pumps? Not mounted on the engine at all. The mechanical (vs electronic) control C engine used a mechanical pump.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 05:07 PM   #3

Interesting question: Not having any pictures or knowledge of your lift pump and engine, I wonder if backing the current lift pump off from the engine block and then using a new gasket or gasket maker might solve your problem. Having just replaced the boost pump on our Cummins ISB 275, I would say doing it yourself is possible if you are handy. Took a couple of hours, which I enjoyed doing, to replace the OEM lift pump.
Good luck,
JimB
JBDISCOVERY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 05:16 PM   #4

Mine was leaking at one point but I think it has magically stopped in the past few months.

I have heard a number of people taking a wrench to the ISC engine-mounted lift pump and after just a few turns the leaks stopped. Albeit very difficult to get to on mine from both the bedroom floor or from the ground, I plan to give "that fix" a try if it starts leaking again.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 06:00 AM   #5

Defiantly get it repaired before you take your trip. If it's leaking fuel, it's also causing your injector pump to suck air.
I tighten the 3 bolts the mount the pump to the pump manifold and it stopped leaking for a while. When it started to leak again, it was worse. Apparently, the gasket and seals in the pump are not compatible with the low sulfur diesel and are slowly deteriorating. Assuming your pump is like mine, the picture shows (in blue) which bolt to tighten. I ended up replacing the whole pump myself. Took me about 5hrs to do. Now I believe I can do it in about 2.5 -3 hrs. This will vary depending on access. I don't have any recommendations as to who should do the work but it's not that technical of a job. As you can see two supply lines, two bango bolts, one line to the filter and an electrical connection. Hope this helps with your decision. Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	liftpump1a.jpg
Views:	1073
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	104833  
Old 08-27-2015, 04:47 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
I just replaced the Transfer Pump (Name Per Cummins) last week on my 2001 ISC 350. I had in the past tightened the three bolts and the leak only got worse. Cummins counterman said the new transfer pump had been improved over the original to deal with the new fuels and he advised me to purchase the O Rings and banjo bolt seals for the new pump.

It took me a little over three hours to replace because of the 100º+ temperatures and high humidity. It was also my first time replacing the pump. My Alpine has an island bed so gaining access was relatively easy just left the bed.

The hardest part was having to go back into the garage and get the correct size wrench or socket. I had to tap the socket on a couple of bolts because they were painted when the engine was new. I did find that if I loosened the fittings while the pump was bolted to the engine was easier than trying to hold the pump in one hand while trying loosening the fittings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer Pump New.jpg
Views:	662
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	104930   Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer Pump Old.jpg
Views:	583
Size:	181.5 KB
ID:	104931  

Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 11:29 AM   #7

Update Leaking Lift Pump

Well after reading everyone's posts, I decided to pressure wash and clean the area and located the three bolts and the each took a half to three quarter turns. Did the trick. It is no longer leaking. How long that lasts is anybody's guess. I will keep a close eye on it. And in the event it doe's need to be changed, I've decided to do the job myself. I got lots of good advise on the forums. Thanks for all of your help. Ed.

Tags
leak