RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2020, 12:12 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
The seals have nothing whatsoever to do with any damage from hanging from the shocks. As a matter of fact, since the shock is extended, the pressure (gas pressure) is less than when it's on the ground, so there is less issue with a seal failure when the shock is extended. Not that there is any issue of seal failure when down on the road either when the rig is static.

There is no stress on the seals when the shock isn't moving. So I discount that mechanic's understanding of the things he replaces....
Again, the potential airbag and shock damage is Freightliner’s position as relayed by their training department, not the opinion of a mechanic.
The airbag unseating is by far the bigger concern.
I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s cya on Freightliner’s part, but they’re really adamant about this potential damage.
I’m done with this thread
Sonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2020, 08:58 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic View Post

Again, the potential airbag and shock damage is Freightlinerís position as relayed by their training department, not the opinion of a mechanic.
The airbag unseating is by far the bigger concern.
Iíve come to the conclusion that itís cya on Freightlinerís part, but theyíre really adamant about this potential damage.
Iím done with this thread
Y, passing on the info is fine...but when I hear uninformed stuff like "shock seal damage" or "it's ok for a little while but not for a long time", then the rest of the source is questioned.

I agree with their conclusion that you should not lift the wheels off the ground if you don't need to. But not for the reasons cited. The real reasons are:
1) Additional sidewards leverage on the leveler cylinders. If the cylinders are wimpy, then that can be a problem if something slips due to not being level.

2) Possibility of a hydraulic hose failure. One leg drops and twists the chassis. I just yesterday replaced 4) 45' hoses on my Man Lift...they do fail.

3) The temptation for storing stuff under the RV or kids hiding underneath.

4) That if one end of the rig is up in the air, and the other is down, then that implies you are on a steep slope. Not good for slippage.

Yup, thread is beaten into the ground.
Old 08-19-2020, 01:49 PM   #59

I'll add one thing I didn't see in here:

before you take them all the way up, do a good visual inspection. My front axle has limit straps, so good to go there.

The rear, well yeah, there's the limits imposed by the shocks. You hope that occurs before you use the U-joints and driveshaft yoke as a limiter - probably OK, but if you can avoid it, why not avoid it.

But I found that the actual limiter on my rears was the left side brake line. There have been plenty of times where I'm doing some work and need a couple of inches more, but without limit straps, I don't want to stress something else. If I need to really get it up there, then I suppose a couple of 3 inch ratchet straps between the drive axle and the crossmember would be the way to go.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, suspension