Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2022, 08:15 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Light, random, vibration in steering wheel

A while back we had a front tire blow out and we've had everything repaired. I can't make up my mind if I am overly sensitive or if I have an issue. I have a slight vibration that only occurs at 60-65 and I feel it in the steering wheel.

I've had it realigned, new front tires, it all checks out. Not sure I can describe it but it feels like the steering wheel is loose at it's connection, maybe a bit of play in it. On smooth roads, no issue, but anything slightly rough or rough, I feel it.

I know this isn't much of a description but wonder if there are certain parts of the steering someone could point me to. I thought that if it was a tire issue, I'd feel it all the time. The coach tracks straight down the highway so I don't think it's an alignment issue.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2022, 09:12 PM   #2

What kind of balancing method are you using? ...or what did they use when you had the front tires replaced? If it's happening at a certain speed, it kind of sounds like a wheel balance problem but let's see what the experts say.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 09:13 PM   #3

I'm not overly familiar with Tiffin chassis ; so I have to ask questions .

What chassis is your coach built on ?
Does it have independent front suspension ?
Old 09-30-2022, 09:40 PM   #4

I'm pretty sure it's a FCCC (Freightliner) Powerglide Chassis with an IFS ...independent front suspension ...I'm fairly certain it's a ZF front axle.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 10:34 PM   #5

Get Centramatics wheel balancers. They made a HUGE difference on my Bounder 35k. It’s now very smooth.
SavnTheWales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 03:53 AM   #6

Back to theroc's question, what wheel balancing method do you have? Some internal balancing beads/powders have been known to clump when there is moisture in the tire.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 06:34 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the replies. I have a 14 Tiffin with a powerglide chassis and independent front suspension. I don't currently have anything inside the tires, just the normal weights on the outside. I thought I felt good about the balancing because I had the tires balanced while on the coach, something I haven't seen before. Supposed to be crazy accurate. And I have weighed the coach and feel very confident about tire pressure.

It almost feels like a linkage in the steering and not the tires but what do I know. And the fact that it doesn't happen all the time makes me wonder if I'm simply being sensitive since the blow out.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 09:36 AM   #8

That late-model MH should not have any detectable steering component wear yet, but piece of mind might warrant having the entire IFS system inspected at a HDT repair shop.
I've read that a loose wheel bearing can cause something like that.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 09:46 AM   #9

Erratic , does eliminate a tire balance issue .
Spin balancing on the vehicle , became less common with issues of performing the work on FWD , AWD and 4X4 vehicles .

Is there a certain road condition that seems to consistently set the vibration up ?
I don't know what the linkage looks like on a Powerglide chassis IFS , but from recent posts about Freightliner's ISF system where a connection came apart on one member and another who's linkage is loose ( small U joint ) that linkage part is on back order .
Someone with good knowledge of the Powerglide steering system has to examine all components in the system for your peace of mind .

Tags
light, steering, vibration