Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2020, 08:32 PM   #1

Light smoke/burning smell/clicking noise

I'm looking for any thoughts on what could cause the smoke/burning smell/clicking noise we experienced yesterday while driving on a 2 lane highway at 55mph?
So we were on the final 6 miles of our trip from Michigan to the Salt Springs Rec Area in Florida and I thought I must have driven over some of those bumps they use on the freeway to alert drivers who wander off the road, but not as violent. DW said she smelled burning rubber.
Stopped coach and examined left front tire. Noticed smoke disapating from under left side behind wheel when approaching from rear, but it immediately cleared as I looked underneath.
Upon examining tire (2014's), I noticed several significant flat spots on outboard side of tread, but crown and inboard seemed fine. Weird. Still holding pressure (fortunately), so limped to campground at 25mph for the final 6 miles. No issues, but noticed sight buzzing noise again over 35mph.
Lifted wheel of ground today at campsite: all linkages appeared tight. Wheel seems to have no play, although everything is so big it's tough to tell...
Having AAA change tire to spare tomorrow-hopefully that does it.
Any other ideas?
We have an '06 Georgieboy Pursuit. 32 ft. Ford chassis.
Click image for larger version

Name:	1592101773608~2.jpeg
Views:	75
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	289425
xz5cgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2020, 08:46 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Stuck drum or pad from the brakes?

Could also be some rubber got up in the drum or near the pad and roter.

Those thing get hot when driving.
Old 06-13-2020, 08:47 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I suggest getting an IR gun and shooting the tires and brakes after driving a bit.

You need to find out for sure where the heat is coming from.

How many fire extinguishers do you have and have you ever checked your existing original one?

Had two tires blow out at the same time on a trailer years ago, almost caught fire but hit them with my fire extinguisher. I now carry five extinguishers.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 09:53 PM   #4

Not counting the smoke, this sounds exactly like when I had a tire internal belt snap.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 10:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby F View Post
Not counting the smoke, this sounds exactly like when I had a tire internal belt snap.
Agree^^, seems to be an internal break down/separation of the tire plies.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 05:24 AM   #6

Thank you all. Good thoughts. We have an extinguisher, no IR gun but a good idea. We'll change the tire and pray...
Old 06-14-2020, 07:58 AM   #7

Extinguishers need to be maintained. Turn upside down and bang on the bottom part with the flat of your hand 5-10 times (the powder settles, you need to break it up). Make sure it has pressure. Agree Carry several.

I almost lost my car (toad) due to flames coming from overheated brakes. Extinguisher saved it.
Old 06-15-2020, 02:54 PM   #8

Update: problem is apparently in the joint between the trans and drive shaft - excessive play u/d i/o. Will have Walt's Brakes mechanic in Ocala tear into it on Thurs. Heat/smoke apparently came from parking brake band contacting rotating drum on shaft.
Will know more Thurs.
Old 07-04-2020, 06:19 PM   #9

Repair complete. RV successfully back to Michigan. Wallet $2500 lighter....
Apparently the parking brake hub is on backorder from Ford, so the shop needed to do a national search, finding one in Minnesota, and overnight ship.

New problem: coach now starts to shake/vibrate at about 68mph. I'm thinking it has to do with the newly installed brake hub on the drive shaft as that's really the only thing that's changed, plus the frequency is significantly higher than the tire rotation frequency. Has anyone ever gotten a prop/drive shaft balance? I'll be asking our local ford dealer if they do this, then brace myself for the cost, but the alternative is to run with the imbalance and risk a drive shaft joining me in the cabin...
Thoughts??
Old 07-04-2020, 06:27 PM   #10

If the shop didn't get the drive shaft sections , properly aligned , ( slip joint out by one spline ) that could cause a vibration.

First place I'd be looking.

Google " two piece drive shaft alignment " I'm sure there'll be a video.
Old 07-04-2020, 08:32 PM   #11

Its called drive shaft phasing.

Google it and compare to yours.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 08:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Its called drive shaft phasing.

Google it and compare to yours.
13 years retired , and I'm already forgetting stuff ..go figure.
Old 07-05-2020, 06:00 AM   #13

Ok. I now understand the prop-shaft phasing phenomena. Thanks for the direction.
Question: since all the repair shop did down in Florida was replace the parking brake hub, how could the U-joint alignments be impacted? Thinking to myself here, I suppose they would have had to drop most of the shaft to install the hub, so could that have caused a misalignment? I would think there is minimal/no adjustment on the bearing attachments to the frame....
Regardless, your input suggests a dealer visit is necessary as I do not have access to the equipment to do the check.
Old 07-05-2020, 07:13 AM   #14

Did the cupped tire get changed with the spare?

Was the spare balanced?
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, noise, smell