Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2022, 11:02 AM   #1

Lighted Cup Holder

My 2022 London Aire came without the driver's side cup holder insert and illumination. I now have parts, but have a question that someone on the irv2 may already know the answer to.

See the attached pics of what it looks like installed from the Newmar website and the pics of the parts I have; a rubbery cup holder insert and two LED lights with wire leads.

I can attach the wire leads and insert the cup holder insert. The lights appear to need to penetrate the wall of the cup holder insert. But there are no pre-tapped holes. Am I to drill them? I speculate that insert is universal for all cup holders regardless of illumination or not, thus why no pre-drilled holes.

Input appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	From Newmar Website.png
Views:	9
Size:	2.68 MB
ID:	382092   Click image for larger version

Name:	Drivers Cupholder Without Insert.jpg
Size:	299.5 KB
ID:	382093  

Name:	Drivers Cupholder Insert.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	274.8 KB
ID:	382094   Click image for larger version

Name:	Light With Wire.jpg
Size:	220.4 KB
ID:	382095  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2022, 12:58 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
My guess, you need to drill the holes. That cup holder is probably the same one used in several models without lights. From the look of the first photo with lights, the light is shining from the divider between the two holes toward the outer edge of both cup holder holes. You can see a spotlight effect.

Again, my guess, you drill the side of that block that divides the two cup holes. The LED has a grommet, so practice on a piece of similar plastic to see what size hole you need that will fit that grommet correctly. Then drill both sides of that center block and run the lights up into that center area from underneath.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 07:07 PM   #3

For the price of a London Aire…Newmar or the dealer would be dealing with this and not me as the owner.
Old 12-04-2022, 09:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wanderers View Post
For the price of a London Aire…Newmar or the dealer would be dealing with this and not me as the owner.
No argument, but I'm handy and can save time and fuel just doing it myself.
Old 12-04-2022, 11:13 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Are illuminated cup holders necessary? Were it my decision, I would tuck the lights into a plastic bag, secure it in one of your nearby dash drawers, and install the rubber insert unlit.
I would be loath to create an access point for spilt beverage to drain down into the side panel.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 05:03 AM   #6

I'd mount both facing forward. If it faces back or up with nothing in the cup holder it's going to be a bright light at night.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 10:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by righellis View Post
My 2022 London Aire came without the driver's side cup holder insert and illumination. I now have parts, but have a question that someone on the irv2 may already know the answer to.

See the attached pics of what it looks like installed from the Newmar website and the pics of the parts I have; a rubbery cup holder insert and two LED lights with wire leads.

I can attach the wire leads and insert the cup holder insert. The lights appear to need to penetrate the wall of the cup holder insert. But there are no pre-tapped holes. Am I to drill them? I speculate that insert is universal for all cup holders regardless of illumination or not, thus why no pre-drilled holes.

Input appreciated.
Well Sir,
I applaud your efforts and desires. As you can see, some folks don't care about widgets and gadgets and tinkering. It's your coach so, LIGHT UP THE WORLD if you like! I've dabbled in LED's on and off for a while now. I'm presently getting back into them. I think they're a kick in the pants. The uses are endless. Our '14 Bennington 26' Tri-toon boat with the Yamaha 350HP 5.3L V-8 has lighted cup holders and lighted isle accents, speakers, outside of the boat illumination of the pontoons, and below water blue lighting. I love all that stuff.

As for your placement and insertion of the LED's, well, not being there and seeing your predicament, it's hard to advise just where would be the most strategic placement. If I was doing this, here's a thought. I'd maybe acquire some 3/16" plexiglass and cut it in the same diameter as the inside of the cup holder, maybe a tad smaller. Then, I'd drill a hole in the center of that plexiglass and insert the LED. Then, cut a hole in the bottom of the cup holder for the wire leads to protrude through. Then wire it up.

Now, when you turn your lights on, your new LED cup holder will light up the total circumference due to the propagation of the LED beam. And, you'll also have a straight up illumination due to the center of the LED. You get both worlds that way. Just a thought here. Good luck and please post your outcome.
Scott

P.S. Below is a project I did several years ago. I always liked the LED lights in the mirrors of cars and trucks used as turn signals. Sooooo, I decided to make my own. I had an '08 Honda Goldwing back then and wanted those in my mirrors. So, I removed the mirrors, outlined a drill pattern, drilled the holes and was very, VERY careful of not drilling into the backside of the glass. I built the LED system using two different resistors and inserted all the flat top RED LED's. That was a fun project. And it turned out just like factory ones. Your project should be just as fun. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6383.jpg
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	382149   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6384.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	266.2 KB
ID:	382150  

Name:	P1000670[1].JPG
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	382151   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000698[1].JPG
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	382152  

Name:	P1000697[1].JPG
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	382153   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000696[1].JPG
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	382154  

Name:	P1000686[1].JPG
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	382155  
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 07:27 PM   #8

Impressive. I got instructions from Newmar. It was easy to do. The lights did face forward.
Old 12-05-2022, 08:04 PM   #9

One thing that I've found out about drilling plastic, using a twist drill can cause an out of round hole as it pulls itself thru the material.
A step drill makes a clean hole with no rough edges.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Grand-Ra...5326/206515496

Tim
Old 12-17-2022, 11:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by righellis View Post
Impressive. I got instructions from Newmar. It was easy to do. The lights did face forward.
Tony,
As you've seen, goofing around with LED stuff is a fun little hobby and it may, or may not, have beneficial uses. "Lighted" components have been installed in cars, boats, trucks, motorhomes, motorcycles, space ships, submarines, alien crafts and a whole lot more for decades. Do all of them serve a purpose, most likely not. But they're cool and have tendency to create an ambience affect in certain cases. These are the ones I was telling you about in our 26' '14 Bennington tri-toon boat.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1465.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	297.8 KB
ID:	382810   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1466.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	274.8 KB
ID:	382811