Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2021, 02:16 PM   #1

Lippert leveling system blowing 125 amp bus fuse

Hi all,
New to forum and rving..2014 itasca sunstar has class a. Have been through tech support with Lippert and Winnebago. Each said stumped.
When I engage Jack's, I get a low voltage warning...actually there is no voltage..it blows a 125 amp bus fuse located behind circuit breaker panel driver side of coach in first bay door...The lippert pump runs off 12v chassis battery..14 volts with engine running and 12.5 when engine off...no bare wires...pump motor is not seized...anyone have any ideas? Am currently in Tucson and no dealer can get me in for 3+ weeks..need help or bourbon IV!!!
Rugguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2021, 02:30 PM   #2

How long does it take the fuse to blow. Is it instantaneous or does it take a few seconds. If it's instantaneous I would suspect a dead short somewhere, get your multimeter out and start checking wires for a short to ground. If it takes a couple of seconds or more to blow I would suspect an overloaded motor from some kind of mechanical bind. The difference isn't long so I might start with an ample supply of fuses. That's all I can think of. I'm sure other will offer better advice due to more experience.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 03:12 PM   #3

Rugguy

Thank you reply...tested all wires with meter. When I first got the code, I had to manually retract the jacks...no notable mechanical binding...I have since jumped the pump motor, and in spins freely and cycles off. Thinking solenoid short. Don't know how to test for.
Old 02-02-2021, 04:21 PM   #4

Does it only happen when you activate jack system. ? Is it one where all the solenoids are on the unit if so ,I would disconnect main wires at the unit. Test main positive wire and unit to ground . Is there a remote starter size relay for motor maybe that's shorted . Can you bypass high amp relay and retest, maybe get a marine circuit breaker for testing. Any other smaller wires to unit would probably go up in smoke before popping a 125A fuse.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 04:32 PM   #5

Yes, only happens when activating Jack system. When you say test wires at unit, are you referring to pump motor?
Thank you for replying.
Old 02-02-2021, 04:56 PM   #6

If it only burns a fuse when you try to operate the system, then the wire from the batteries to the pump solenoid is good. It's only when the solenoid is activated that there is a short created, which means it's in the solenoid or the motor.
You can remove the battery wire from the solenoid terminal, clip a regular jumper cable on that wire, and connect it to the motor wire on the other side of the solenoid. Just for a couple seconds to see if the pump motor runs. This removes the solenoid from your test circuit.
Or you can take the the motor wire off the solenoid, eliminating the motor from your test circuit, activate the system and see if the solenoid burns another fuse.

One of the two tests should burn another fuse and will tell you which item has the short circuit.
Old 02-02-2021, 05:16 PM   #7

Lippert leveling

Thank you! Will do 1st thing in morning.
Thank you again.
Old 09-25-2021, 12:33 PM   #8

LCI pump motor

Hi all,
I have been following the thread regarding the fuse problem and the pump motor perhaps not functioning. I am getting many conflicting read outs in my inside LCI panel.
I called LCI and had a very nice person tell me it was the fuse on the engine side behind the power panel on the drivers side. I took that entire panel apart and pulled all the wires, I crawled under and followed the main hot side all the way back to the chassis battery and NO fuse. My solenoid seems to be good. The motor is not making any noise so I pulled it and will have it checked on Monday.
Any other suggestions?
Thanks
Winhawk class of ‘64
winhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 02:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by winhawk View Post
Hi all,
I have been following the thread regarding the fuse problem and the pump motor perhaps not functioning. I am getting many conflicting read outs in my inside LCI panel.
I called LCI and had a very nice person tell me it was the fuse on the engine side behind the power panel on the drivers side. I took that entire panel apart and pulled all the wires, I crawled under and followed the main hot side all the way back to the chassis battery and NO fuse. My solenoid seems to be good. The motor is not making any noise so I pulled it and will have it checked on Monday.
Any other suggestions?
Thanks
Winhawk class of ‘64
Need some clarification. You say "the pump motor perhaps not functioning", is it running or not?
You say "I took the entire panel apart", does that mean you disconnected all the wires and removed all the circuit breakers"?
You say "followed the main hot side (from where?) all the way back to the chassis battery and no fuse".
Do you have an outside door on the driver side with circuit breakers in it? Have you removed that circuit breaker panel and looked at the fuses behind it? On mine, it was the fuse to the left for the pump. A good fuse looks exactly a burned fuse, so you have to use a meter to check it.
Have you checked the solenoid 12V power wire to see if there's voltage there?
Old 09-25-2021, 03:41 PM   #10

LCI leveling jacks

So sorry I was not clear.
I opened the power panel next to the LCI pump and inspected for the fuse described above. No luck!
I checked with a meter and had power at the solenoid and power to the pump motor. No noise from the motor. That said, all all jacks are up, but my interior LCI Electronic panel is basically not functioning. I cannot get it to do anything and it reads take in for service.
Thanks for responding
Old 09-25-2021, 03:46 PM   #11

I would use a jumper to activate the solenoid to run the motor. If it runs, then go to the LCI panel.
Old 09-25-2021, 03:47 PM   #12

If I need a motor where can I buy one.
Is there any chance it could be the panel on the dash?
Old 09-25-2021, 03:48 PM   #13

The motor did not make any noise!
Old 09-25-2021, 03:49 PM   #14

If LCI panel is that easily available?

Tags
fuse, leveling, leveling system, lippert