Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2021, 05:14 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
Most “test rides” aren’t really a test. Up and down some nice roads that present no challenges. 15 to 20 minutes and decision made.

I just know when I was shopping we test drove a discovery, Providence, Revolution all on a concrete freeway. Wife and son said no way on the first 2.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2021, 10:08 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Why do people buy a motorhome that rides so rough it knocks there teeth out. Why not take that 10-15k you would pay for LS and upgrade to something nicer and save the headache. I’m sure people took them for a test drive before they bought them.
Because we don't want a diesel. Show me a relatively new gas class A that doesn't have a leaf spring front suspension.
Old 11-24-2021, 10:29 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilvmygt View Post
Check out HWH Active Air suspension upgrade for motorhome with air bags.

Active Air Brochures & Manuals
Ilmygt, Do you have this system on your coach?

Ted
Old 11-29-2021, 06:25 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just dropped off my Newmar Canyon Star, 26,000GVWR, 2019 Ford F-53 chassis at JoSam Equipment in Orlando to have front & rear "Liquid Spring" suspension installed!

When I picked up my coach at Newmar in Napanee, Indiana; I had already made the decision to add chassis improvements to my brand new Coach. I purchased an Ultra RV track bar, 4 Koni shocks, a Saf-T-Plus steering stabilizer and carried them with me to Napanee. I had contacted the Ford Dealership in Bremen, 8 miles away, & had them do the installation.

Prior to dropping it off at the Ford Dealer, I took my "Box Stock" F-53 for a 165 mile Demo Drive! It was quite enlightening. Yes, there was some sway, significant lean/roll, and a bumpty-bump on expansion joints, & a real bang on bridge transitions! The drive, confirmed my decision to have the above items installed.

I dropped the coach off at the Ford Delaer, & the Service Manager talked me into having front Sumo Springs installed too.

I must say that the moment I turned out of the Dealer's driveway, I knew I had made a proper decision! Yes, it leaned a little bit, but straightened back up. I was quite impressed with the improvements that these changes made! And felt I had done all I could to improve the ride/handling of the coach!

That was until I discovered "Liquid Spring" suspension. I met Wayne Wells at the Tampa Super RV Show in 2019. We talked at length about the suspension system. Wayne had me take a test drive in his 2019 Tiffin "Demo"; which has the REAR suspension added. The FRONT had not been released. Based on that test drive, more research, more discussion with Wayne, & talking to a couple Liquid Spring owners; I made up my mind that upon release, I would have the FRONT & REAR Liquid Spring suspension system installed in my coach! I have debated the expense, back & forth, pro & con, & finally made the decision!

About $23,000 total investment, versus the additional $56-70K for a comparable diesel, then a Ventana LE; this being the only coach I'll ever own (75 years old); plus not wanting the added annual expense, & as it turns out, the DEF nightmare; I'm glad I made the decision.

Some will agree, some will not agree! Diesel guys think I should own a diesel. Some Gas owners will say I shouldn't spend that much money; but I'm here to tell you; I am committed to Liquid Spring.

I'll give you a follow-up in 10-12 days when I pick it up and make the drive home!
Jabber Jaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 05:47 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabber Jaw View Post
I just dropped off my Newmar Canyon Star, 26,000GVWR, 2019 Ford F-53 chassis at JoSam Equipment in Orlando to have front & rear "Liquid Spring" suspension installed!

I have been mulling this over. How much lead time did you need with Josam? That is where I would probably get it done.
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 09:28 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
These add a bit more comfort to the ride of one's coach. I added them to the front of mine, made a big difference coming south on I-95. I plan to add them to the rear before heading back north.

https://videos.etrailer.com/static/i...-187-40-1.webm
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 10:43 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridge-fl View Post
I have been mulling this over. How much lead time did you need with Josam? That is where I would probably get it done.
In my case it was about 30-45 days. They have to order whichever system you are having installed, rear, front, or both, & that takes about 3 weeks to get ordered, shipped, & delivered to Josam.

And they have quite a nice, clean facility.

Oh, and while there, I noticed that they do Koni shocks, & Saf-T-Plus steering stabilizer, sales & installation. And I'm sure they can do other things too.
I do know they have front end alignment capabilities, as well as tire balancing, truing & installation!
Old 11-30-2021, 10:49 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Gramps- View Post
These add a bit more comfort to the ride of one's coach. I added them to the front of mine, made a big difference coming south on I-95. I plan to add them to the rear before heading back north.

https://videos.etrailer.com/static/i...-187-40-1.webm
I had front Sumo springs added to mine. Due to the "cellular" composition of the Sumo's; they allow for more "compression", than do the factory "bump stops", thus giving you a bit better ride. This is due to a bit less harshness on the compression over bridge transitions, pot holes, etc. It is another product that can somewhat help the ride in a gas Class A coach!

In my case, the Koni shocks, the Ultra-Trac rear sway bar, & the Saf-T-Plus steering stabilizer, made the most difference, in ride, driving, & handling!
Old 11-30-2021, 10:59 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Why do people buy a motorhome that rides so rough it knocks there teeth out. Why not take that 10-15k you would pay for LS and upgrade to something nicer and save the headache. I’m sure people took them for a test drive before they bought them.
My answer to your question, is that not everyone wants a diesel coach!

Also, most entry to mid-level diesels, though they have air bag suspension, still have SOLID FRONT AXLES! And though, the air bags may help, one still gets the harshness of bridge transitions & potholes.

The only way to truly eliminate that is to buy a coach with independent front suspension, & air bags. Then you get a much softer, easier, smoother ride!

In my case, I was not going to spend the $60-70K more for a diesel coach, that still had a solid front axle!

That's why there are many different coach brands & models in the marketplace; which gives everyone the opportunity to acquire whichever one best suits their wants and needs!

Hope this is a somewhat adequate explanation.
Old 12-01-2021, 07:03 AM   #24

Congrats Jabber Jaw. I bet it will be a dramatic improvement. Thanks for sharing.

I agree there is only so much improvement to be had given the solid axle and leaf springs. LS gets you past the leaf spring constraint.

It is like converting an old muscle car from a leaf spring setup to a 4 link. Major change.
TFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 09:59 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFell View Post
Congrats Jabber Jaw. I bet it will be a dramatic improvement. Thanks for sharing.

I agree there is only so much improvement to be had given the solid axle and leaf springs. LS gets you past the leaf spring constraint.

It is like converting an old muscle car from a leaf spring setup to a 4 link. Major change.
It literally is. I have the front and rear LS system on my coach. LS removes the leaf springs. The axle is located by four trailing links and a Panhard rod, both front and rear. The existing anti-sway bars are retained. The LS spring/damper units located outboard on each axle provide both support and damping. Each one is plumbed to a large remote expansion tank tucked in next to the frame rails. It’s complicated, but man both the ride quality and the driving experience are unreal.
Shadow5501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 05:20 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Shadow 5501.....

How long have you had your coach back, and did the front installation make a big change to these bad bridge transitions? My biggest hope is that transitions are "softened"! I know the "bump" will never go away completely!

I'm looking forward to getting my Coach back and driving it home.
Old 12-02-2021, 05:25 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFell View Post

TFell.....Exactly.....But what a "healthy" 4 link it is! You ought to see the size of the "trailing arms"! HUGE!

I'm sure looking forward to driving the Coach after the installation is complete!

I will report back on the "End Result"!
Old 12-02-2021, 07:27 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabber Jaw View Post
Shadow 5501.....

How long have you had your coach back, and did the front installation make a big change to these bad bridge transitions? My biggest hope is that transitions are "softened"! I know the "bump" will never go away completely!

I'm looking forward to getting my Coach back and driving it home.
I had the full four corner system installed at the Indiana factory in mid-April 2021. Didn’t realize it at the time, but was one of the first 10 or so 4 corner systems installed on the F53.

I had driven a coach with the rear only system when shopping. The majority of the ride comfort benefit comes from the rear suspension system, though the front makes a very clear improvement as well. The front definitely absorbs pavement transitions from bridge transitions, uneven concrete pavement slabs, etc. Roads that were unbearable to drive become merely a little bumpy as you motor down the highway. It’s a huge improvement, though I hesitate to put a percentage reduction in the Bang! against it.

You’ll also find that the rocking and body lean of the coach is all but eliminated. If you select sport mode, there is so little lean when cornering that it feels positively unnatural. I usually just leave it in normal mode.

It’s also nice to be able to lower the coach ~3 inches when setting up camp. It’s a shorter step up onto the first step and gives the leveling jacks more range to work with.
Shadow5501 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
test