Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2014, 08:12 AM   #29

Country Coach Owners Club
Go to rv.org pay what they are asking and you will be provided with a tremendous amount of information including a list of coaches by year, make, model, and an evaluation that seems to be pretty much right on. You can then refine your questions and get a whole bunch of different opinions than you're getting now. I can safely saw that this will be the best money you spend on your search for an RV.
Good Luck and happy hunting.
(by the way I have no affiliation with these folks outside of using their prodcut)
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2014, 02:58 PM   #30

The folks at Holt Cat in San Antonio will sell me the analysis kit for $13 which include the cost of analyzing. They say to get 3oz of oil while doing the oil change.
I'll have to get with PPL to see about getting a sample.

I had a mechanic set up to check out this vehicle from head to toe for $700.
He is is coming off as flakey and unreliable so I'm gonna pass. PLL will check the list below for $290.
I figure I can check all of that myself for nothing.
I called Tiffin. There were 3 weak parts on this unit. (Slide, roof rails/caps and wet bay as listed on various web sites). The previous owner took the unit back to Tiffin and had them all upgraded. (Tiffin verified this info with the VIN.). With that info and the way they kept records. I think it is fine. Do you think I need to hire someone to inspect it? Who? PPL or some other tech?

By the way, they will ask the owner to meet me halfway on the tires

PPL's Pre-Delivery Check Out and Demonstration.
The pre-delivery check out and demonstration will include the following equipment:
Generator
D/C Power Converter
Roof Air Conditioner (s)
Refrigerator (gas and electric)
Slide Out (s)
Range
Oven
Furnace
Microwave
Hot water heater (gas only)
Toilet
Fresh water pump and System
Ice maker
Holding tanks (filled to 3/4 full and then checked for leaks)
Hydraulic/electric jacks
Electric Step
Awning (demonstration only) "As Is"
All batteries are "As-Is"
Headlights, blinkers, brake and marker lights
Roof and Window Seals "As Is"
Your cost for this check out is $290.00. The above items, excluding the items noted to be sold "AS-IS", will be demonstrated to you just prior to the "closing". This valuable check out is for your protection so that you know exactly what you are buying, since you are buying the unit from another individual. Once you have purchased it and the vehicle leaves PPL's premises, it will be sold "AS-IS" with no warranty just as if you were dealing directly with the owner.

Thanks for the scoop on that web site. I wil check them out.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:09 PM   #31

Country Coach Owners Club
The oil sample will be helpful if the oil has not recently been changed.

The engine and the transmission will cost about $10,000 or more each to replace. You need to decide if you want oil samples from both to be tested pre-purchase and whether you can satisfy yourself with a DIY inspection of those components.

The next biggest potential expense is damage from shell water leaks. These are not always evident on a cursory walk through.

Give the records, the factory repairs, and your take on condition, the above are probably not a problem.......but it is possible.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:39 AM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
One quick tip on the oil analysis, take a screw driver and punch a hole in the existing oil filter. Even if you have to purchase and replace the existing filter. I did not do this on a boat I purchased years ago and it cost me thirty thousand dollars. If their are main bearing problems the particles will be in the filtered oil.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 10:58 AM   #33

Do some searches on how to deal on a used coach. Many posts with good input.

IMO - The NADA pricing guidelines, are a based upon all OEM items in good working condition. Any item that is not, should have a clause in the written (key word here is 'written') contract, that it will be repaired to OEM condition.

I feel the tires age you have mentioned, are beyond safe usage. "Meeting you halfway", is not really taking care of the problem. I'd personally get a quote for replacement tires that you would want. (Cost, mounted and out the door.). This would come back as an 'allowance' in the purchase price. I use the term 'allowance', as you will find that commission is based upon sales price. So a salesman would not be willing to help nudge an owner of a consigned coach to 'reduce price' to cover the costs of the tires - as it will impact their commission. But, an 'allowance' does not impact commission, and they will usually be an advocate to move the coach by talking with the owner to agree. (And yes, sales tax is also on the 'sales price'.).

While PPL has a good overall reputation, never forget that they get income from moving coaches. I personally would want an independent inspection of the coach house and mechanical. I would also always have in writing, an exit clause of any deposit, based upon any 'deal breaking' problems found. (OP, if this is too late for your $500, sorry. But if you go onto another coach, or if someone else reads this, I hope they have this exit clause in writing.)

Also OP, and it is of course OK if your answer is 'Because I want this coach...!'. I want to ask how many different coaches you have walked thru, researched, and test drove? Yes, it's always exciting to get a coach and get going on using it. But soo many good used coaches exist, taking the time to learn and know different brands of coaches - would really pay dividends in your final decision. Or at least, reduce the risk of possible 'Buyer's remorse'. (Not a slam on Tiffen, just wondering how many rigs you have looked over...)

Best of luck on your ongoing negotiations, and checking out of this coach.
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:31 PM   #34

Thanks for the continuing great input. I’ve contacted another person to inspect the coach. They’ll do it tomorrow.

I’m okay with losing my $500 to save the cost of expensive repairs. There is an exit clause concerning the results of the inspection. I’ll be more detailed as needed next time.

I drove a few and researched many. Searching for a coach seems to go on and on. I rent, research, shop, test and drive till I’m burnt out. Then I take a break and start again.
For RR4Rs I’ve crawled under the chassis and found the upgraded trailing arms without upgraded air bags and decided not to buy. Have driven 300 miles to drive a coach and not buy it because it “felt like something was wrong”. Crawled under a Monaco to find leaking oil and, of course, didn’t buy. Crawled under another to find a main structural member of the chassis frame broken into two parts [salesman,”Oh. Do you mean that crack?”]

This is an incredibly deep well. It is like beginning a new career. Many resources remain to be investigated.

With that said - I do want this coach

Thanks
Old 10-08-2014, 04:22 PM   #35

The original inspector postponed twice and flat didn’t show the final time. That may be a good thing. Hired Ed from RV Survey to inspect it. He did an exceptional job and provided a 30 page report. The fluid for analysis is still at the Cat labs. We’re waiting only on that. So far everything looks good except the old tires and a light fog to 4 windows. I’ll ask about getting a tire allowance. Gotta join FMCA and get a price. Thanks for all of the assistance!
Old 10-09-2014, 03:54 PM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If you call a local Michelin Tire Dealer ask them if they participate in the FMCA pricing program? My local Dealer priced the FMCA price and I haven't joined yet, but I will before I buy my tires. Good luck and I hope the oil analysis comes back good!
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 04:26 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caryl View Post
The original inspector postponed twice and flat didn’t show the final time. That may be a good thing. Hired Ed from RV Survey to inspect it. He did an exceptional job and provided a 30 page report. The fluid for analysis is still at the Cat labs. We’re waiting only on that. So far everything looks good except the old tires and a light fog to 4 windows. I’ll ask about getting a tire allowance. Gotta join FMCA and get a price. Thanks for all of the assistance!

Just get some Hankook tires for it and call it a day.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 04:45 AM   #38

List Entry Level to High End

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
Just get some Hankook tires for it and call it a day.
The tire shop quoted "what we call our wholesale price". They also gave me their FMCA price which is about $35 less per tire. I'm not a member but will look into joining even if I don't get the Michelins.

That's the second time I've heard the Hankook tire name this week. Never heard of them before. I'll read the thread.

Thanks guys.