Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2017, 01:23 PM   #141
Community Moderator

Lithium Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrell View Post
Did you really edit that quote from another forum to make it say what you wanted? Because it looks like its says the opposite, low load is city driving:

Why no diesel Prius? - Page 3 - Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com

"In contrast, the diesel-only car at "low LOAD" continues to pay a significant portion of its fuel burn just to keep the engine running. Without an integrated "the back of the gasser's block" (called a transaxle,) the diesel performs poorly at "low LOAD" (aka., city driving.)"

What you didn't read was the response by "Christ" to the original post by "bwilson4web"

It was in his response that "Christ" corrected the definition of what "low LOAD" really means.

Click image for larger version

Name:	You_Doodle_2017-07-22T19_25_03Z.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	553.4 KB
ID:	169665
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2017, 02:39 PM   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
What you didn't read was the response by "Christ" to the original post by "bwilson4web"

It was in his response that "Christ" corrected the definition of what "low LOAD" really means.

Attachment 169665
Interesting random argument talking about Priuses on a different forum that proves absolutely nothing about large diesel as in RV's or Semi's. I might as well point to the post further down in that thread:

"I think the biggest reason for hybrids to exist is the stop n start city cycle. Personally they don't make sense to me if the bulk of one's driving is highway."

And

"Frank I agree that hybrids make the most sense in city driving."

Meanwhile I posted actual research with real data on how downsizing effects fuel consumption with large diesels.

My 18klbs RV requires about 120hp to go down the road at 65 mph, that's 37% of rated power, is that low load?

A 35,000lbs RV with a 450hp diesel needs at least 150hp to go 65 mph, thats 30% rated power, is that "low"?

The research I posted indicates 7-9% less fuel consumption at 25% load from a 20-30% engine downsize. As the load goes up the gains go down at 50% load its between 5-6%.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:37 AM   #143

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Truck EV Powertrains

Here's a Workhorse EV powertrain order:

https://chargedevs.com/newswire/work...tems-from-tm4/
Regenerative Carbon Farmer, RVM #161
RE_Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 10:03 AM   #144

I can confirm that Enphase components were merged with our ~9K solar panel array on our home in the San Diego area. Zero problems, and the slide & dice down to the panel level of their software allows problem identification (We did have one panel's micro inverter go offline. It was on me, as I must have knocked it too hard when I was washing the panels. Just unhooking, and re-hooking back up - and it has been fine since!)

This thread may have better served over under the Going Green section of the forum, as some pretty sharp members participate. A few of these are commercial, and freely share their knowledge. (And sure not implying the people posting over her are 'not sharp'!)

Battery technology is evolving. Nano technology is in the process of being converted from the lab, to production batteries. Incredibly faster recharge times in lab conditions. This could take another 5+ years to make it to the commercial markets for mere mortals. Military, and commercial (Anyone recall the 787 Lithium Battery problems? Aerospace will also rapidly adopt these newer batteries.).

And just the pure economic's of large scale production of conventional lithium batteries, Tesla's Mega Factory for example, will also drive prices downwards. This is good for auto, truck, commercial, home, boating, RV usage in general. I suspect we'll see steady price drops on conventional lithium units over the next 5 years or so.

Many on this, and other RV forums, are already installing combo Solar and Lithium banks that handle some usage of AC's in their RV's. A few members, with 5th wheels, are adding more efficient and easier to power split AC units. Suspect we'll see higher end coaches see specifically designed split units in the future too.

As far as around town usage of EV cars. IMO not a problem for most applications. For those with solar at home, it is even a better payback period. And as mentioned by others in this thread, range of EV cars are continuing to grow. My neighbor has the top dawg Tesla model, with every possible option seemingly available... He loves it, and said it actually scared him the first time he put it into full power mode. (He's now taken advance high speed driving courses. And he is not a 'boy racer' going around town like many of may have done in our teenager years! He is a member of a group that does slalom racing events and private race courts events. No, his Tesla is not a race car. But he and a small group of Tesla owners, have a blast - and have surprised some owner's of vehicles costing way more then his Tesla (Which was not cheap. He paid more for this car, then we did for our house 38 years ago!). And I salute him. He's decided to go have fun with a Tesla, then say a boat, or dare I say RV!

Lower priced, higher content, and range EV's - will continue to grow. Commercial usage is, and will, continue to grow. (This can be a combo of pure EV, as well as hybrids...).

Over The Road Truckers and Busses will also come into more of the mainstream usage. 5, 10, 15 years before they'll outnumber oil fuel driven - who knows!

Best to all, may the charge be with you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries