Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2019, 04:37 PM   #141

Here is his 9mo. follow up , If I could find the deals he grabbed at $ 3200 i would do it. He doesn't have hyd jacks.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2019, 03:44 PM   #142

Tesla: Sorry so long

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webeschrockn View Post
I looked into Tesla battery systems. Wondered why they haven’t made a bank for RVsyet. Started thinking they were holding out for their own RVs implementation. After pouring several hours over many days researching Tesla systems for RVs, I found that the Tesla battery isn’t set up for the kind of vibration RVs would put on it. Bummer, but I don’t think they’re far off from making a bank that would work with a MH. Especially since they’re(Tesla) making their own MHs with a system like these and already have the systems in their cars and trucks(they’re also coming out with).

There are a couple of videos on youtube about using Tesla salvage batteries in RV's. The Tesla banks look to cost about around $1000. Alot of battery for 1K.
mailfored1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:34 AM   #143

Hey everybody, we are still new to the RV world. My wife and I bought a new 2019 Forester by Forest River. I inquired as to what kinad of batteries and inverter we have in our coach just for future reference. They told me we have group 27 Marine RV batteries and a progressive brand inverter. Can anybody give me any information on these and any advice on how good these are or any other comments on them? Thanks in advance for your imput.Steve and Deb
Stevemarshia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 11:57 AM   #144

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Just order Lithiums

I just ordered my batteries. I have been kicking this around for several years now and just pulled the trigger. I'm getting 2 Lithionics 400aH batteries with the external BMS system. I looked at all the small format batteries from BB and Lifeblue and decided to go with Lithionics after watching this video. They cut open a BB battery and show component differences. I went with military grade and American Made.

This video shows what my batteries and system will look like. Two red batteries on bench with cables coming out the end going into a combiner and then into the BMS is what I have on order. 800 aH total.

Coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:43 PM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevemarshia View Post
Hey everybody, we are still new to the RV world. My wife and I bought a new 2019 Forester by Forest River. I inquired as to what kinad of batteries and inverter we have in our coach just for future reference. They told me we have group 27 Marine RV batteries and a progressive brand inverter. Can anybody give me any information on these and any advice on how good these are or any other comments on them? Thanks in advance for your imput.Steve and Deb
They are standard type, stock, middle of the road, batteries. If you plan on camping with shore power avalable, yet will be fine.

If you plan on extensive dry camping, then you may want to upgrade them.

Do you know that you have an inverter ( creates 120 volts from battery power ) or converter/charger that takes 120 volt shore power and converts it to 12 volts for the lights and other components of the RV ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 02:49 PM   #146

Questions, regarding my Lithium battery upgrade!

I switched from four Interstate Golf cart 225ah batteries, to three Battle Born 100ah Lithium Batteries in our coach. I quite like the ability to use an app on my iPhone or iPad to see the results of how my batteries are doing, but I'm suspect on their accuracy. Apparently, Lithium batteries should charge up to about 14.4 - 14.6, of which I never see, as the Inverter/Charger takes them up to about 13.8V and that's as high as I ever see. They 'where' showing about 14.4V the day I took them out of the box, and I've not seen it since!
I do have the Victron BMV-712 battery monitor, and in the battery settings, I have it set to 14.6V...which it (so far) has not gotten up to?
I have a Xantrex Inverter/Converter-charger 2000, of which it's own monitor doesn't give me the ability (that I've found) to get it to go to 14.4 - 14.6, as I have it set for GEL batteries, as that is the closest to the settings available on this particular inverter for our '08 Tiffin Phaeton.

Should I not expect to get 14.4 or higher, or do I need to get a different type of charger to get it to that realm from time to time? On our recent trip home (3 days of steady driving) it again would only get up to the 13.7V or so amount.

I'm trying to get a better understanding with 'Lithium' overall, so I'd appreciate any suggestions/advice you might have.
The main power hog is our residential fridge, using what seems around 3.4A fairly steadily.
Oddly, the voltage shows around 12.4V by morning (8 hours) yet the % is showing it's at 84% which just isn't correct, compared to the graph that Battle Born sent me. Using the graph, the percentage should be showing 14%, not 84%?
Old 03-16-2020, 03:09 PM   #147

Winnebago Owners Club
Your inverter charger is what you need to adjust. The Victron BMK is just a monitor. It has nothing to do with actually charging your batteries.

You should call Xantrex support and I'd be willing to be you simply use your Inverter Charger Remote display to set various charging profiles. But you should probably take care of this pretty soon.

Here's a video from Xantrex on the subject:

Old 03-16-2020, 03:11 PM   #148

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
Well, they said that about electric lighting in the house too......

It all depends on how it's made and the quality of the BMS. The airplane batteries you were referring to were redesigned and are now working safely.

It's new(ish) technology and it takes time.
All the applications you listed are Lithium Polymer not Lithium Iron (LifePO4) which is the prevalent technology in deep cycle drop-in replacement batteries such as Battle Born and Lion Energy!
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 03:13 PM   #149

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVport View Post
So, cost more, need to be heated, lose charge when cold, catch on fire, need to be used all the time. Who needs the aggravation
You obviously don't
Old 03-16-2020, 03:33 PM   #150

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul65k View Post
The 2 major advantages of Lithium as I see are:
  1. The need for only 50% of the total capacity nto get the same usable storage
  2. The ability to recharge at full speed (Bulk Charging) to 100% capacity, no need for the painstaking Absorb cycle before getting to float.

Additionally I can move the batteries inside the coach to a cabinet next to the inverter so temp control is not an issue, at least in my case. I currently have 660AH of LA (AGM) storage but could have almost the same usable capacity with only (1) 82lb 300AH battery and charge it back up completely in 2 hours vs. the current 4-5 when they get to max discharge rate.

I'm hoping that by the time my current batteries are ready for replacement I'll be able to do it with Lithium for about 1/2 of what that costs today
Well....fast forward a year and I now have upgraded to Lithium Batteries.

I initially installed (6) 105Ah drop-in batteries and just added 2 more well......because I could

I was able to move the batteries to a location inside our coach (Class A Pusher) almost above the external battery compartment. I was able to build a support floor for them which is directly above one of our heater vents so we have eliminated the low temp charging worry.

I will be upgrading our existing Xantrex Freedom 2000 I/C but in the interim, we've been using this unit and we found a charging profile that works just fine. The greatest thing about our system is how terribly quickly the batteries charge as compared to the AGMs that they replaced.

We also added 1600W of Solar with MPPT controller first with the AGMs but while they did a good job of charging them the 3 stages of charging was much less efficient than with the Lithium.

As an example, we were in Quartzsite in January at arguably the worst time of the year for solar production and with an average usage of 250 - 300Ah usage overnight (Residential Refer, Wine Cooler, Satellite, DVR and TV, Router and Cell Modem, not to mention 2 PCs/phones and the propane heater as it was cold) we didn't need the generator once during a 15 day period

We have a total of $5600 in Lithium Batteries with a total of 840Ah capacity very capable built-in BMS as well as a 10-year warranty and a weight savings of over 300 lbs.

Do the math, with the previous AGM batteries we had 660Ah (330 Usable) and we now have 840 Ah which is 100% usable or 2.5X the previous usable capacity and the ability to recharge them in about 25%-33% of the time.

Once you go Lithium it is hard to imagine being off the grid without them
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0141.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	384.7 KB
ID:	278200   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0151.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	368.7 KB
ID:	278201  

Old 03-16-2020, 03:39 PM   #151

Alpine Owners Club
Drop-in Lithium Batteries on sale at Costco

So I have had these batteries installed for a few months now and I love and highly recommend them.

They are currently on sale at Costco....YES COSTCO through the 22nd of March for $699 each delivered. I like them as they are more compact than BB as they use prismatic cells vs cylindrical cells which most importantly allows them to get the same capacity (actually 5 Ah more) in a group 24 size vs BBs group 31 size.

This was a big deal for me as I was able to get 8 in the same space that would have only accommodated 6 of the BBs.

Here's the link if you want to check them out!!

https://www.costco.com/lion-energy-s...100535965.html
Old 03-16-2020, 05:13 PM   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Your inverter charger is what you need to adjust. The Victron BMK is just a monitor. It has nothing to do with actually charging your batteries.

You should call Xantrex support and I'd be willing to be you simply use your Inverter Charger Remote display to set various charging profiles. But you should probably take care of this pretty soon.

Here's a video from Xantrex on the subject:

It may be the year of Xantrex monitor, as I've gone through the settings on my monitor, and I have no 'user' setting, only GEL, AGM and Lead/Acid choices. I'll as you say, try and give Xantrex a call then.

Thanks!

Tags
batteries, lithium