Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2013, 07:39 PM   #1

Living in motorhome for a couple years

Ok we can't take the winters in iowa anymore as soon as school is out we are moving to florida with 2 young kids to live in the motorhome for a year or so maybe longer if we like it we just want do something outside the box any advice would be great thanks
Rvnerd1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2013, 07:46 PM   #2

Just go.
You will love it.
You will figure it out!
Talk to and emulate your neighbors.

Happy trails!
Let the Journey be your Destination
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:49 PM   #3

Yeah can't wait the stick is in the yard as soon as it sales and school is out we're out of here we I'm tired of mowing lawns and shoveling
Old 12-17-2013, 07:54 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Your going to love it. Being young and full time I get lots of comments, like "are you transporting that for a dealer" and such, but all and all the older folks are great. One thing i never worry about is if anything is going to happen to my coach when I go out. they watch it like a hawk for me :-)

A year from now you'll most likely never go back to a real stick house ;-) Get a coach you will be happy with after the first year. Picture yourself living in it for ever and if you get that warm home feeling it is the one!.
Mario-John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:00 PM   #5

It's going to be nice to get rid of all this extra stuff that we never use and live a simple life
Old 12-17-2013, 08:04 PM   #6

Anybody in the clearwater florida area living fulltime that where my job takes me any parks u like thanks
Old 12-17-2013, 08:04 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Rvnerd1971, if 1971 is your birth year we are the same age, just noticed that.
Mario-John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:07 PM   #8

Yep 42 and trying to be a snowbird early lol
Old 12-17-2013, 08:20 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
life is to short enjoy tour life and your family good luck on
your endever
aschuh53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvnerd1971 View Post
Anybody in the clearwater florida area living fulltime that where my job takes me any parks u like thanks
I'm not familiar with parks in that area but this may help:

Reviews of RV Parks and Campgrounds - RV Park Reviews

Mike

2012 Thor Freedom Elite 28Z
Muncie_6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:28 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
One big prob with FL destination...us OLD people. We are everywhere and always in the way.
Try another state, you may like it.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:45 AM   #12

Not sure if Fla has any regulations on length of stay but most places in Michigan and Ohio limit you two two weeks. Which moving every couple weeks I think would get old fast. How do you full timers do it? Buy or lease lots?
Old 12-18-2013, 09:01 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
If you will be in sunny Florida in the summer, make sure your A/C is working.

Seriously I admire your courage to get out of the rotten weather while young. We retired early (52 and 53) and where stuck in central NY due to jobs that could not transfer away to somewhere warm or just quit because the pay and benefits weren't bad. Now we 50/50 NY and Florida for the best of both worlds.

We find that many people here in Florida live in their RV. Unlike the frozen north there isn't much danger of your waterlines freezing. You also can go outside much more if the camper starts feeling cramped. The sun does take it's toll on things so covers for your tires and things like that will be a good idea.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:42 AM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Having lived in the Tampa/Clearwater area for a year, I can offer you some tips we learned the hard way.

1) Make sure your A/C's work, as we used ours 24/7 every day we lived there...the humidity level is that high.

2) Make SURE your coach is water tight, as "localized rain" (sometimes pouring, but only on a single block) is typical.

3) Mosquitos are really bad and "no see ums" are worse, so make sure all your screens are in good repair.

4) The Tampa area is the lightening capital of the world. Power loss and lightening strikes were a daily occurance (we gave up resetting clocks). You have a tremendous advantage in an RV with back-up battery power, but having a top line surge protector is a MUST. At our house we fried three TVs, stereo equipment and a pool pump ~ all at different times (and we were being careful!).

5) You mentioned young kids. Ours were in grade school when we moved there and the school system was way behind ours (the vice principle used "ain't" repeatedly as she lead us around). We ended up having to bite the bullet and put our kids into private school.

6) Kissing Bugs in June/July. Driving on the interstate you'll run into clouds of these bugs. When they smack into your paint, their fluids are an acid that will literally eat your paint away, and foul the best windshield washer/wiper system. Wax all forward facing surfaces before setting out and by all means hose/wash off as soon as you can when you get there!

Enough with the negatives! Things you'll love:

1) The beach at Clearwater has the best white granular sand you'll ever see.
2) Going to Santibell island during certain times and walking the beach will enable you to collect shopping bags of the most amazing shells you'll ever see.
3) Driving over the various causeways, just above the water, for miles on the way to the airport and other areas.

Have fun and enjoy!

Mark
MarkofSJC is offline   Reply With Quote