Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2016, 11:07 PM   #1

Living room carpet is wet- what to do!

Hey guys,
We're totally new to RVing, but excited to join the travelers. We recently purchased an 02 American Eagle and it has a leak. The water is collecting on my carpet in the living room. More precisely, where the tile meets the carpet at the driver side couch. It's about a one foot by 4 foot soaked area.
The wet area seems to get worse if I continually have the city water plugged in (and I do have reducers) or when I leave the water pump on (though the water pump doesn't turn on again unless I use the water). When I use the water pump and turn it off immediately and drain the residue water, I can get the moisture under control.
Luckily, my current neighbor is a mechanic. He said there are no pipes in the living room therefor the water is just collecting there from the leaks origin.
I filled my sinks and lined the cabinet with paper towels-nothing. The only water dripping down was the water that escaped between the sink and my countertop (I think I need to cauk it). I don't think that was enough to soak my rug.
Outside the couch, the water is also leaking out of the manifold. I can't see behind the manifold. Should I remove it?
Any suggestions on what to do next would be extremely appreciated. I'm currently in the French quarter in New Orleans. A million thank you'd in advance.
Llohdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2016, 12:19 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Well, on 90% of the MH's I have seen, the kitchen is next to the living room, so you need to start there! You gave us a very good clue, when you said it gets worse with the city water hooked up, and a constant pressure, as opposed to using the pump and letting off the pressure after use!

(The wet area seems to get worse if I continually have the city water plugged in (and I do have reducers) ("I think you mean pressure regulator") or when I leave the water pump on (though the water pump doesn't turn on again unless I use the water). When I use the water pump and turn it off immediately and drain the residue water, I can get the moisture under control.)

So you have a slow leak, that is worse when the pressure is higher! First thing is to go buy another pressure regulator, as they do go bad! Second, you need to find all the connection points of your water lines, and check them first, and i know, it can be very hard to follow and find them! Start closest to the wet spot, if it is the sink area, and hook up to the city water, and have someone turn it on, and look and listen under the sink area, have a good light handy, also some towel's to soak up the water. As soon as you have found the leak point, turn off the water, and let off the pressure!
If you have a water filter under the sink, it may be leaking also, happened to me going down the road once, and the water showed up in the bathroom!
That said, the water leak can be anywhere inside your MH, and run along the wall, behind the cabinets, or under the tile, who knows?
Check everywhere you can get to, under the bathroom sink, in behind the shower valve, ( hope you have a panel that you can take off for access! ) Also check the washer/dryer area, if you have one?
And just hope it is just a connection that can be tightened! But split water lines do happen, just hope it is not that! I am betting it is just a connection that needs tightened! If it is a split line from a freeze, you can fix with the "shark bite" fittings found at HD, Lowes, etc.!
Good luck, Rail!
Old 12-28-2016, 05:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llohdav View Post
..................... More precisely, where the tile meets the carpet at the driver side couch. It's about a one foot by 4 foot soaked area.
The wet area seems to get worse if I continually have the city water plugged in (and I do have reducers) or when I leave the water pump on (though the water pump doesn't turn on again unless I use the water).

When I use the water pump and turn it off immediately and drain the residue water, I can get the moisture under control.
Outside the couch, the water is also leaking out of the manifold. I can't see behind the manifold. Should I remove it?
Just a guess - likely a pinhole leak in the Manifold or one of the line there,

Clear out the area so you can get a good look - then turn on the water - it should be a very fine mist or spray - If you locate it get a shark Bite repair coupling and cut and repair. You might need to take a piece of the pipe/tubing to get the right size.

Hope this is of some help,

Let us know how it goes, and what the solution is - pictures are always good.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 08:54 AM   #4

I have an 02 eagle. I would guess that there is a leak under the sink. The floor of that compartment is grey carpet. It there moisture on it? If not, pull the access panel between the sink and the stove area. Its the one with the shutters on it. There you will find the main water hosesfeeding the sink area. The floor there is wood. Do you see moisture there.

We had a leak once in that area. The hoses in there are flexible so they can travel in and out with the slide. We had a washer on a fitting dry up and the fitting started to drip. There are no other water hoses in that area. Gotta be either under the sink in which case the fadric under the sink will be wet, or behind the access panel.

One other thought. Facing your sink, pull the lower right drawer out all the way. You will be able to see the wood floor under it. Is there moisture there? If there is and there is none under the sink, then water is probably migrating from the access panel hose area.

Jake
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 08:57 AM   #5

'I can't see behind the manifold"

What manifold?

Jake
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 09:14 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Check your water line to the ice maker (if you have one).
It gets hot and brittle and can crack. Under the sink area can be soaked
leading to the LR.
The panel on the outside of the coach can be removed to check the line.
luckyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 09:15 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
You might want to check the hose going to the icemaker. Had mine spring a leak from rubbing on a bracket under stove.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 10:23 PM   #8

Thank y'all!

Jake, I just took that area apart. At risk of sounding completely foolish, I hadn't even thought about taking that part off. I did as you said, I found no water under the sink. I found water in the left side compartment (as you stated) I'm the pictures. I've turned the water off and drained all tanks. Should I connect the city water and see where the water starts to leak? Is that what you recommend? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5638.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	228.4 KB
ID:	147686Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5646.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	267.4 KB
ID:	147687Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5645.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	147688Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5641.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	147689
Old 12-28-2016, 10:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
'I can't see behind the manifold"

What manifold?

Jake

The outside manifold with all the connections? Water comes out of there too and leaks out of the RV. But no water in the bays.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:38 PM   #10

American Coach Owners Club
What's up with the red tape patch and purple bungee cord on the drain pipe? That may not be your leak, but it's gonna be a issue later....

I had a leak under sink at line into "drinking" water faucet, it would leak down to line went into floor. Carpet in slide out in front of couch was soaked.....
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 11:11 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I think the red self sticking tape and the purple bunge is telling the story! You said in your first post the when the pump was on, it did not cycle, after it built up pressure, so no leak in the water lines is very possible! But when you see a patch job that is showing on a drain pipe, i am betting that is the problem! Take it apart, fix it right, and secure it properly!
You can test it first, but as mackwrench said, it needs to be fixed right!
Rail!
Old 12-29-2016, 12:09 AM   #12

Okay, so I'm going to test the theory of the funky red tape. I'm going to fill the sink and then let it drain while watching the funky red tape to see if it leaks. I sure hope y'all are right. I miss running water
Old 12-29-2016, 12:53 AM   #13

Alright! I placed paper towels under the drain pipe and under the sink (just in case). I filled the sink with the yard hose and then unplugged it to see where the water would go.

There was no leaking from the drain pipe anywhere that I could see. After observing it a bit longer, I noticed the water trickling from the aft toward my paper towels. Enough water to make me believe this is the culprit.

I'm removing the manifold outside the rig to run this experiment again and see if I can get a visual of the leak. I don't know if this is the right move, but I don't know how else I'm suppose to find the leak point. I'm confident'ish I will find it, and then my question is: how do I "properly" fix it?

I really would love to do it myself. Not just to save the money on the RV repair person, but because I'd like to get to know my rig and lose the fear of all the things that can go wrong with it. Any advise is GREATLY appreciated. Thank y'all for your time.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5657.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	147699Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5672.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	408.0 KB
ID:	147700
Old 12-29-2016, 01:18 AM   #14

Alright, removed the outside manifold and there was water. (Pics attached). The water appeared to drip down from the main floor of the coach. But I don't know how to access that part of the drain pipe. The drain pipe exits the main floor right behind where my bathroom toilet is. So, short of taking an axe to the toilet... Any ideas? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5706.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	243.6 KB
ID:	147702Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5707.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	147703Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5708.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	279.1 KB
ID:	147704Click image for larger version