Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2016, 02:02 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Living with snow

We are relative newbies full timers with a 2014 40 FT Tiffin Allegro Bus. This is the first time that we have experienced any substantial snow. We are staying in Virginia and received 18 inches in their OMG Blizzard. I've cleaned the snow off of the slide outs, but have not attempted to do the roof. Can anyone provide us with Snow Tips and with projected rain next week, should I be concerned with the snow on the roof NOW.
NoAgenda2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2016, 02:28 PM   #2

My owner's manual has instructions to not permit snow to accumulate on the roof. My local RV shop cleans the snow off of their customers' RV(at a cost) while they are awaiting repair. Be careful on the roof. It can get slippery and you can break things. I do mine after every storm.

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
Old 01-23-2016, 02:37 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
The snow on your roof will not hurt a thing, should of pulled your slide's in before the storm hit.......
In your area, the weather will warm soon as the storm leaves.........it will melt off.
When thinking of walking on a roof, the pressure is a lot more per square foot of human weight than per square foot of snow. The snow would have to get pretty deep on the roof to compare the two. RV's sit outdoors all over the North......all winter long. Be careful if you decide to shovel it off, I have read stories of damaged sky lights, vents, AC covers, along with other items in the removal process.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/snow-...oof-83067.html
Old 01-23-2016, 02:49 PM   #4

The problem snow on the roof creates is melting then re-freezing overnight. It builds up an ice dam around vents. This traps water next day, which can get deep enough to run into vents and into the ceiling.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 02:54 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Just for the future. I put my slides in when this type of storm approaches. After it's gone by I will extend them again. If you're really concerned about the roof. A ladder and a push broom will get the snow off. But it's a lot of work.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 03:31 PM   #6

We too are in the storm. Have been in other snow with different rig. Once Monday xcomes and hiuta 40 in the afternoon I'll go up and make sure that there no ice dam. Otherwise my safety comes first
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 06:40 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Thumbs up

Thank You for all the responses and advice. I will diff pull the slides in before the next time. We learned more about our bus through this experience and my wife and I are more comfortable with our choice to go full time even in the colder areas.
NoAgenda2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 07:56 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
The snow on your roof is not a problem, as long as it melts before you get rain.

Snow will act as a spong and can hold a LOT of rain. The combined weight of the snow and rain can become an issue (when you see collapsed roofs on the news it's typically related to a heavy wet snow), not to mention the cumulative effect of the freeze/thaw cycle if the temps hover just above/below freezing. Freezing rain/ice is another whole topic.

If the rain is going to be a 60* rain you won't have a problem, it will simply wash the snow off, but our Wisconsin spring rains tended to be near that freezing mark.

If you decide to remove the snow, be carefull, and not just to avoid falling off the ladder or roof. Vent covers, A/C covers, and anything else made of plastic can be very brittle when it's that cold.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 08:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoAgenda2014 View Post
We are relative newbies full timers with a 2014 40 FT Tiffin Allegro Bus. This is the first time that we have experienced any substantial snow. We are staying in Virginia and received 18 inches in their OMG Blizzard. I've cleaned the snow off of the slide outs, but have not attempted to do the roof. Can anyone provide us with Snow Tips and with projected rain next week, should I be concerned with the snow on the roof NOW.
NoAgenda
Not to worry....the snow you have on your coach in Virginia will melt away in a few days.
When my coach sits for months in Wisconsin there can be, (and often is), as much as 36" of snow on my coach roof for weeks.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 08:37 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Like Mel S I live in a snow area, VT .... although we got exactly NO SNOW during this storm. Regardless our motor home spends its winter outside. We do cover it but that doesn't stop snow from accumulating. We have yet to have a problem with snow.

Thought sure I had some photo's but I guess I dislike being out in it so much that I haven't taken any pics of it in the worst part of the winter.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 08:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
When my coach sits for months in Wisconsin there can be, (and often is), as much as 36" of snow on my coach roof for weeks.
Mel
'96 Safari
I would feel more comfortable doing the same if I didn't have a 15-foot slide-out hole in the wall. I question whether the structure of the MH would support the 90 lb/sqft snow load that our building code requires. Two years ago, we had 20" of snow followed immediately by a whole night of rain. It flattened a Shelter Logic steel-framed tent in our yard.

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
Old 01-24-2016, 08:49 AM   #12

Check any RV dealer and see if they clean the roofs.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 10:13 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
If you are living in it with the snow on the roof be sure your vents for the heating appliances/refrigerator are clear and not blocked. This could cause a build up of Carbon Monoxide in the living areas. If you can get your slides in you can tilt your rig to the side that the sun will be coming from and help the water drain off the roof faster. Or you can find some kid who bounces well and have them get up on the roof to clean it off.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 10:34 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Just a safety note. Before you get on the road be sure that the roof is clear of all ICE, if it comes off going down the road it can be a huge hazard to anyone behind you. And in some States you could be ticketed. Some Truck wash rack stations will clean the snow & ice from the roof.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote