Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2011, 11:50 AM   #29

This is a very interesting thread for me. I have read the entire thread and have a question for you. I am a UK citizen who intends to travel around the country over the next couple of years. I will not be fulltiming or staying longer than a month or so at a time but will make repeated visits. It is a large country and as I have no 'ties' will park the RV in a storage facility in the State we finish up in as and when we decide to return home, and start the next trip from there. I think the Montana or similar LLC will be an ideal way of giving us a legal base for registration and insurance purposes. A quick search shows any number of legal comanies advertising their services so it seems to be a popular option. Would any of you have any comments advice on this. I expect to purchase the vehicle in Florida or Texas. Thanks
woodpidgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2011, 12:11 PM   #30
a k

Newmar Owners Club
]
Quote:
Lastly, I will sleep better knowing John Law is not casting a jaundice eye on me when I'm rolling down the road with both the coach and tag tags matching
Your Toad should have Montana plates also. DUH
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:32 PM   #31

Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
As far as many states go using an out of state LLC to evade fees is illegal if the RV is garaged in the state for more than some defined time.
CO is one state that has successfully prosecuted people.

I live in the metro Atlanta area. Georgia is one of the states like CO that requires GA license plates on vehicles parked or operated for over 30 days. Normally one would think that the paperwork would never be tracked, but in my county (Gwinnett), inspectors routinely patrol neighborhoods checking exposed vehicle tags looking for out-of-state plates. They have even looked through garage windows looking for boats at a neighbor's house. They also have a "Google" type vehicle mounted camera system which checks plates photographicaly through the state data base.

Since my coach is exposed I guess I will continue to pay the exhorbitant tax Georgia imposes.

Oh, when I registered my new-to-me coach last year they couldn't decide what a Gulfstream was and tried to charge me for a jet plane. I finally told them it was a medium sized Freightliner truck. My taxes are just a bit lower than most.
HarleyWJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:12 AM   #32

Since you are from the UK (and I'm no legal expert) and not a resident of any U.S. state, I don't believe you should have any problems with registering your RV with an LLC at all. As I understand it, the only real problem in question is being a resident of a given state and then avoiding paying taxes in that state. Not that any of this is illegal, providing one follows all the guidelines of the state, it's just that very often, one does not or cannot follow all the guidelines.
ExtenderFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:11 AM   #33

Smile

Here is my question and an observation, hopefully not too complex. My buddy who lives in AZ has a Montana LLC registered coach that I am buying.

Since I am buying it from his LLC, can he be considered a commercial source ILO private party and therefore subject to sales tax?

If I don't owe any sales tax and since the coach is now 8 years old, I am looking at a hit of about 1200 for tags, 950 next year, 700 after that. My accountant said to set up the LLC thru Bennet isn't worth the brain damage and possible scrutiny in this instance because of the age of the coach. BTW I am an Arizona resident, and property tax is part of the high tag rates here, so I see additional scrutiny from this cash strapped state-to me not worth it

What say you on my 2 points?
watk69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:16 AM   #34

Texas Boomers Club
I would say listen to the advice from your legal and financial professionals regarding your specific situation in lieu of opinions gleaned from an internet forum, but that's just my personal opinion.

By the way, I see that this is your first post, so welcome to iRV2!!

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:24 AM   #35
a k

Newmar Owners Club
Your buying it out of Montana, not AZ. He doesn't own the coach, the LLC does. He justs holds the title in the LLC's name.Have him add you as a member and then he gets off and you have the LLC and no transfers or anything.

If it works for your Buddy, why don't you think it would work for you?

Call whoever manages the LLC and ask them. Don't listen to any naysayers on this forum.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:26 AM   #36

Thanks Rusty, my wife and I are looking forward to hitting the road for vacations in this gem. Our buddy has been so fastidious in his cleanliness and upkeep we could not pass it up. My wife and I have been drooling over his coach for years----2003 Revolution 38B
Old 02-09-2011, 10:31 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by a k View Post
Your buying it out of Montana, not AZ. He doesn't own the coach, the LLC does. He justs holds the title in the LLC's name.Have him add you as a member and then he gets off and you have the LLC and no transfers or anything.

If it works for your Buddy, why don't you think it would work for you?

Call whoever manages the LLC and ask them. Don't listen to any naysayers on this forum.

Well my buddy has owned it 5 years and does 5 weekends a year on it and has a total of 5000 miles on it. Keeps it locked up in an airplane hangar and is not seen with it much. My wife and will be everywhere with it as long as we can afford fuel , pulling an AZ licensed toad, but a lot of in state travel, there is no way to keep it out of the state the required 5 mo. a year as we are not retired

I am just wondering if its worth the worry. It may be legal, but is it worth getting audited and scrutinized over? By not paying AZ tabs we are screwing AZ out of their property tax component of the fee, a loophole that will surely go away, as states desperate for revenue look to get these LLC's overturned
Old 02-09-2011, 03:55 PM   #38
a k

Newmar Owners Club
Your best bet is just move to Montana and go to Arizona in the winter. It would be a lot cheaper.

How are you going to get audited? Title won't have anything with Arizona on it. Only way is if you title it in Montana with your Arizona address on it. I know a couple of j*****s's that did that.
Call Bennet They are lawyers. We ain't

Ask your Buddy where his airplane is registered.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:23 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by watk69 View Post
Well my buddy has owned it 5 years and does 5 weekends a year on it and has a total of 5000 miles on it. Keeps it locked up in an airplane hangar and is not seen with it much. My wife and will be everywhere with it as long as we can afford fuel , pulling an AZ licensed toad, but a lot of in state travel, there is no way to keep it out of the state the required 5 mo. a year as we are not retired

I am just wondering if its worth the worry. It may be legal, but is it worth getting audited and scrutinized over? By not paying AZ tabs we are screwing AZ out of their property tax component of the fee, a loophole that will surely go away, as states desperate for revenue look to get these LLC's overturned
I like the idea of simply taking over the previous owners LLC, and assuming ownership of it'sa assets that way.

That is no help as to Arizona's (or any other states) outragious registration and plate fee's.
Plain ole simple fact is they can and do require vehicles to be titled where they live.
And they can set any fee they choose.
Even if an out of state company owns the vehicle, they still need to register it in the state where it lives.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:26 PM   #40

ExtenderFE= Check Farm and city Insurance (forest City - IA) for quotes. They handle serveral major insurance companies. I have been with them for several years. Home based in Florida
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:27 PM   #41

Fleetwood Owners Club
Interesting discussion..I know in the past 35 years Ive driven trucks with many different
tags most of which were not my home state..The trailer and tractor tags never matched
But I think the key point is where the vehicle is domiciled . The trucks I drove with out of state plates were not domiciled at my home , They may be there for a week but then were on the move.. An RV that is parked at your home for a few months before moving may catch the attention of the DMV or tax man.. Now trucks that we used locally within our home state would have tags from the local/home state even though the home office and business address of the corporation was several states away.
It's a complicated issue with best advise coming from an attorney. I fully agree that cash strapped states will begin looking for unfound revenue
Old 02-10-2011, 06:40 PM   #42
a k

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Even if an out of state company owns the vehicle, they still need to register it in the state where it lives.
Where do you guys come up with this?
The RV is mobile. It doesn't live in any state. If you have homes in three different states, you chose the least expensive. Why do you think you mailed most of your bills to Delaware?