Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2011, 01:10 PM   #71

Newmar Owners Club
HD4Mark hit the nail on the head. I'd take it one step further. State registration, and taxing of all motor vehicles should be identical. All states charging the same thing.

One of the really forgotten benefits of the USA is the ability to go from coast to coast with a standard set of rules of the road, no export or import tax when crossing state borders, the same currency in all states, etc. If vehicle registration fees and taxes were the same, in all states, this thread would not exist, life would be simpler and an entire "make work" industry would be gone.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2011, 01:49 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
Rusty, the ones that scream the most that having the MH registered to a LLC is wrong are the ones who don't understand the law and this has been covered several times in this long thread. It is simple.....the MH is no longer registered to an individual so no residence requirement for that individual in that state, it is registered to a LLC, and that LLC is registered in Montana. It is a legal LLC in Montana that owns the MH. Now I am not a lawyer but I have talked to a lawyer about this and that is what they told me. I believe they probably know the law than us. The local state can't do anything because the MH is not registered to that individual in that state.
While that may be true for Georgia (as I have mentioned before, the laws and regulations of each state vary), I can tell you that, in California, Arizona, and Colorado, virtually none of the "registration" cases that have gone to court have been decided in favor of the LLC.

Steve
SteveLevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:49 PM   #73
a k

Newmar Owners Club
I think the person who turned his neighbor in didn't do it for the taxes. He's probably jealous or figured he wasn't smart enough to set one up himself.

Gives a whole new meaning of "what's in a name"

I'd be kicking myself in the arse myself.
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:57 PM   #74

Gary: Maybe in Nirvana your wishes will come true but not in the real world. There will never be a level playing field. As it is the rules of the road are NOT the same in each state. Weight limits , pollution standards, lengths and widths vary from state to state. Just ask any trucker about taxes being the same and they will laugh! Even commerce is not the same. There are often barriers to trade from one state to another. Especially on the left coast.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:51 PM   #75

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
The poster who "turned in" his neighbor should be ashamed of himself. What is next: Stone him in the streets? Take the law into your own hands ? This is more like Communisim. The expression mind your own business comes to mind. I wonder if that poster has any friends? Do we turn in all people that we think might be evading ( or in this case avoiding) taxes. Exactly like Nazi Germany!!!

If someone was robbing your house and he saw it should "he mind his own business" and look the other way? Then you would find fault with him for not getting involved. Was the neighbor breaking the law? If so he should be turned in. All he did was notify the proper authorities and they did the rest. Last time I checked not paying taxes you OWE is illegal. What does this have to do with communism or Nazi Germany?
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:14 PM   #76

I would suggest you read my earlier post closer. Having a MH owned by a Montana LLC is NOT breaking the law. Go talk to a lawyer. One is paying taxes in Montana. Just because people don't know the law, or don't believe that the law is correct or can't read doesn't make it illegal.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:46 PM   #77

Iron Man:: So who decides if a person is breaking the law? If I see you buy a new MH should I call the IRS as I dont think you have that kind of money? Where does it stop. Maybe he has a business in Montana. In Nazi germany sons turned in Fathers. Same thing happens in Communist China. People become the extension of Big Brother. If I see you running a red light should I call the cops. If I think your MH is overloaded should I call the weigh scale? Someone robbing your house is an obvious law breaker. How did the poster know that this person had a Montana LLC? Even if he knew this how did this poster knbow it was against the law? Is he a cop or a Judge. When you tip in a restaurant and you see the waiter pocketing the tip do you call the IRS?
People should mind their own business.
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 02-17-2011, 06:21 PM   #78

Fleetwood Owners Club
well spoken . Moisheh
Old 02-17-2011, 08:36 PM   #79

THere is a huge difference between tax evasion and tax avoidance. Everyone uses some type of tax avoidance. It involves using the existing rules to your advantage. When Americans claim their MH as a second home that is avoidance. Nothing illegal about tax avoidance. When you claim false expenses that is an evasion. A Montana LLC is not tax evasion.
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 02-18-2011, 12:19 AM   #80

Wow, so much angst, judgment & righteousness demonstrated here. Comparing fellow Americans to Nazis, tattling on neighbors, putting down folks because they don't see things the same way... I came over to try this forum because of similar nonsense on the rvnet forum. Please tell me this banter isn't truly representative of the folks who frequent here. I just want a site to share RV experiences and knowledge without it being like 8th grade.

Ed
Automobilist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:30 AM   #81

Winnebago Owners Club
What the

82 posts. Geeez.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:13 AM   #82
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
This topic is always a hot button with strong opinions on both sides.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:01 PM   #83

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Automobilist,
Several years ago I joined iRV2 for the same reason mentioned in your post. And I'm still here. I think this thread is an anomaly to the rest of iRV2. Route 66 is correct. There are a few topics that will solicit many different opinions and statements. Stick with iRV2. You'll find it is a nice quiet neighborhood to hang around in,,,,, almost all of the time.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:38 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
I would suggest you read my earlier post closer. Having a MH owned by a Montana LLC is NOT breaking the law. Go talk to a lawyer. One is paying taxes in Montana. Just because people don't know the law, or don't believe that the law is correct or can't read doesn't make it illegal.
I would be interested to hear from people with Montana LLC's that have been challenged by their state of residence and prevailed. Any details of their case and how it was pursued (i.e., by merely a letter of advisement or an administrative proceeding or audit), as well as what steps they took would be very interesting.

I would especially love to hear from CA/AZ/CO residents since I'm most familiar with those regions and am aware of a large number of enforcement proceedings that were decided against the resident.

Steve
SteveLevin is offline   Reply With Quote