Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2014, 09:08 AM   #1

load Meter wont display

Im plugged into shore power and display would show anything, so I started Generator and load meter came on, turn generator off and no display on board tryied starting engine and coach batterries to low and had to boost from House batteries still no display and no lights on in house . Any Idea where the four wire from load meter may run to?
xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2014, 09:11 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
The load meter on my EMS is intermittent. Sometimes it's totally blank, other times it works!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:15 AM   #3

problem is that if the meter isnt on and displaying I have no 12 volt anywhere in house and no furnace and it was down to -4C here overtnight
Old 04-19-2014, 09:26 AM   #4

Go to your inverter and unplug the small wires that look like telephone cords that should reset your inverter. Worked on mine when the display went blank
mccrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:29 AM   #5

tried that numerous times normally that does rectify the problem but this time it wont
Old 04-19-2014, 01:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme View Post
Im plugged into shore power and display would show anything, so I started Generator and load meter came on, turn generator off and no display on board tryied starting engine and coach batterries to low and had to boost from House batteries still no display and no lights on in house . Any Idea where the four wire from load meter may run to?
xtreme
I would say if your load meter works when you run your genset the problem is with the shore power, (or your transfer switch).
AND that your house batteries are down/dead.

Check these 3 easy to check, (and correct), things first:
Is there power in the shore power receptacle itself?
Is the shore power circuit breaker ON?
Does your cord have continuity, from end to end, through all of of the wires?

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 01:18 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
OK...just to clarify...

When you talk about the load meter, you are talking about the display of your EMS that tells you how many amps you are drawing? If you are...it is NORMAL that when on shore power you don't see any amp usage information. Remember, when you are on shore power you actually have a total of 100 amps usable capacity. That is 50 amps on each leg.

I wasn't the first person to ask the same question and you own't be the last. LOL

Now, if you are talking about your information display on something like a MAGNUM Energy remote panel for your inverter/charger...that is a totally different animal.

Can you clarify what you are talking about? A picture would even be better.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 01:52 PM   #8

ems display and yes all is good with shore power. Display always worked prior to this and I have no 12V in house and all 110 works. So lights no water pump and no furnace
Old 04-19-2014, 01:55 PM   #9

even went into breaker panel box as there is a 3 amp fuse replaced even tho the fuse was good
Old 04-19-2014, 02:05 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme View Post
ems display and yes all is good with shore power. Display always worked prior to this and I have no 12V in house and all 110 works. So lights no water pump and no furnace
OK...I suppose there are some EMS brands that show amp usage even on shore power.

Sounds like you have a bad converter. Did you check the inverter for any breakers?

What model RV do you have?
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 05:29 PM   #11

Yes both inverters breakers aren't tripped Inverter is a Freedom Combi Inverter/Charger made by Xantrex or maybe bad board in the breaker panel made by INTELLITEC
Old 04-20-2014, 08:18 AM   #12

Also can't turn the thermostat up or down or change MODES for furnace, fan, a/c or heat pumps. as this works on 12Volts so absolutely no 12 Volts in house but batteries are all fully charged
Old 04-20-2014, 08:31 AM   #13

My friend had a Monaco Signature with no 12 volt power was a solenoid in the engine compartment went bad it was in a clear plastic box marked HIGH VOLTAGE
mccrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 03:32 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You plugged into shore power... Let me guess: 50 amp right?

IF the answer is yes here is what happened.

The Load Meter as you called it (Ammeter) measures current in the NEUTRAL lead..

50 amp Power is 2 legs of a split phase system. Basically a 240 volt center tapped transformer (Neutral is the center tap)

SO when you are on 50 amps. if the loads are the two legs are perfectly balanced NO current flows in the neutral, even though you may easily be drawing 10,000 watts of power or more.

So instead of giving you meaningless false information.. IT is shut off by the Energy Manager.

Now on the generator.. Well the two legs are "Same phase" That is, they are really one.. Same as if you are plugged into 30. Thus the neutral is carrying ALL the current, and the information is good, so it is displayed.

Try plugging into 30 amp shore power with a dogbone adapter and the EMS display will work normally.

In fact, If it remains off when plugged into 50,, It is working normally.

My Surge Guard shows current in each leg by the way.. Different system.