Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2016, 01:42 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
I don't see an issue. Think about setting up an account with a couple of the national car rental outfits to make things faster.
2015 Winnebago Minnie 2101DS travel trailer & Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts of WindyNation solar (parallel) with MPPT controller, 2 Trojan T-125s, TALL flagpole and a great attitude…SoCal based. Perfer USFS, BLM, COE, USF&WS, NPS & state park campgrounds.
LarryW21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2016, 03:48 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
I think this is a much better idea

RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 06:49 PM   #17

Thank you for your responses they are much appreciated.
Does anyone out there know what the unloaded curb weight of a 1988 33' Fleetwood Southwind rig is.The GVWR is 15,000 LBS. I'm trying to determine the difference between the GVWR and the unloaded curb weight so I can determine how much weight I would have for my "stuff in the coach" plus the GVW of a toad+ dolly. The curb weight is not specified on the wall sticker in the coach.
Tmargarido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 07:45 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
We tried the rental car route once.
It worked ok if we were at a stop for a few days.
The problem was it wasn't always easy to get a car in some places, and if we were just overnighting it we never saw anything around the area.
One place in Montana it cost almost $100 a day to rent a car and we had to backtrack 20 miles to get one.
Let's say we pulled into Rv park at 3-4 pm. Leaving next day. Small historical town, never saw it.
The rental car was a good idea until we tried it.
For us it was better to just buy a good used car and the tow system.
I can unhook before she has filled out the paperwork upon check in at the park.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:00 AM   #19

Forest River Owners Club
Nobody mentioned it, but we routinely use Uber, or taxi where there is no Uber. I've had no problem getting them to pick us up at the campgrounds.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:51 AM   #20

I'm with the "lightest 4 down towable vehicle you can find" crowd.

Ours is a Geo Tracker at about 2300lb. We have towed that across the US and back numerous times, first with a diesel TC, and last year with a 454 powered 26' Flair MH. It did a good job with the toad and I would guess yours will too.

I would recommend finding the lightest 4 down towable that will work for you and go that way. IMHO, it is the least complicated and will eliminate the potential problems associated other methods. You will have transportation available anytime you need it.

Just my 2c.

Best of luck.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 10:53 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We're using Enterprise when in Mobile next month. Stopping at their office on the way to the campground and will drop it off on the way out a week later. Reservations are easy and they always want to accommodate.
noeldale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 11:49 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Q View Post
I did a cross country trip, last summer, without a tow car. Biggest mistake we made!

You will have to plan your stops around cites, where rental cars are available. Depending upon your route, you may have difficulty finding rental cars or any other sort of transportation.

For example: Yellowstone; no rental car available. Grand Canyon; no rental car available. Mt. Rushmore; no rental car available. Black Hills; no rental car available....you get the idea.

If you have the ability to do so, I highly recommend towing. If not, you will need to be very diligent in planning your stops.

Just our experience.....
Renting may not be the most convenient but it is available. Before we towed we rented cars in West Yellowstone and in Rapid city. Haven't tried the Grand Canyon yet but the above info is wrong for the other destinations.
Old 12-15-2016, 06:09 PM   #23

I used Enterprise when we went to NC for a long weekend. They came to the CG and dropped us off after. They're only open a half day Sat and closed Sunday. It worked out for us as we were leaving Sunday, anyway.

Ironically; we rented a Chevy Malibu which my wife found to be quite nice and asked if it was towable. I checked it out and it was, so we bought one. Now we tow. We were thinking about just renting on our upcoming trip to AZ in March, but decided that we want to tow as we'll be only staying overnight in most of our stops out and may want to go out for dinner, check out an interesting area, etc, and will have 2 weeks in AZ where having our own vehicle will be cheaper in the long run.

Try renting a vehicle and see how it works out. Towing is really not a big deal once you get used to your rig.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:10 PM   #24

Thanks, I really appreciate your input.
Tmargarido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 07:16 AM   #25

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have done both - rented and towed. What matters most is your usage.

We are focused on national parks and such. So, after checking availability, costs and convenience, my wife and I concluded towing was a better plan. If you are near towns and want to put in the time to get the rental, return it, etc. that can work.

If you are going to tow - do it right in terms of investing in quality tow gear but you will cover the costs if you use the MH often.

I tow my '04 Ford Explorer behind a 35 ft Miramar. Barely notice it's there and with the required supplemental braking, it really doesn't change the drive feel, but as others said, you need to pay even more attention on turns.

Yes it reduces the gas mileage but not enough in my opinion to change my mind. We live in the Midwest so short weekend trips are a lot easier when you can just hook up and go....

All the best.
JD11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing, travel