Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2016, 10:57 PM   #1

Local Travel if you are not towing

I just recently acquired a 33' Fleetwood motor home and I am very new to motor home travel. my wife and I are planning a trip across the country. My question is; if I am not towing a vehicle and plan to rent a car locally, typically, what is the process of obtaining a rental car once your rig is parked at the campground. Is renting a car locally a bad idea?
Tmargarido is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2016, 11:14 PM   #2

Shouldn't be any problem, we have done it when we are on a trip, as we don't own a towable vehicle at this time. Many RV parks can refer a rental car company to you. We simply called the rental car company in the city that we were near, they came to the RV park, picked us up and took us to their office and we rented the car. After returning the car a couple of days later, gave us a ride back to RV, very easy process.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:14 PM   #3

Also a newbie here but we used Enterprise for the two trips we took prior to getting a tow car. They pick you up at camp and will return you when you return car. First time we called after we get to busy area and we're lucky they had something. I think second time we called just before leaving to reserve a car.

Tom
Old 12-14-2016, 04:00 AM   #4

Watching this post with a lot of interest.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 04:25 AM   #5

Ditto on Enterprise being easy, but be forewarned about a lack of selection at smaller outlets. This can be good or bad. Once in a while no car is available. Then again, often we get a free upgrade. A reservation at least one day in advance is best.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:46 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
We've rented before we started towing.

We would drive by the rental location and pick up the car if it was on our way. Otherwise, either take a taxi or Uber, ALSO - as mentioned, some rentals will pick you up (Enterprise)

Avoid renting at airports, they often have a very high tax (10 - 25%) added by their local governments.

As indicated by others - You really want to make reservations for the vehicle at the correct pickup location.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 04:59 AM   #7

Then there is alway the insurance issue.

I had a rental in FL, last year and got caught in a hail storm. As a 1 day deal, I didn't take any extra coverage.

Fortunately, none of the many dents, were bigger than the contract stated, golf ball size.

I would have been on the hook for my own cars, $1000 deductible.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 06:30 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Cool

I did a cross country trip, last summer, without a tow car. Biggest mistake we made!

You will have to plan your stops around cites, where rental cars are available. Depending upon your route, you may have difficulty finding rental cars or any other sort of transportation.

For example: Yellowstone; no rental car available. Grand Canyon; no rental car available. Mt. Rushmore; no rental car available. Black Hills; no rental car available....you get the idea.

If you have the ability to do so, I highly recommend towing. If not, you will need to be very diligent in planning your stops.

Just our experience.....
2016 Jeep Cherokee
Dr. Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 07:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmargarido View Post
I just recently acquired a 33' Fleetwood motor home and I am very new to motor home travel. my wife and I are planning a trip across the country. My question is; if I am not towing a vehicle and plan to rent a car locally, typically, what is the process of obtaining a rental car once your rig is parked at the campground. Is renting a car locally a bad idea?
Neither good or bad idea. We did the same thing for the first year and it was not bad. I would plan my stays somewhat close to the rental place. It does take a lot of extra time to pickup and drop off the car. And you are bound by their schedule. It is the most expensive way to tour.

I then went to a tow dolly (which I hated) for the next several years. That is way cheaper than renting a car. I recovered the cost of the dolly in one camping season.

The best and most convenient way is to tow 4 down. IMHP
Old 12-14-2016, 07:48 AM   #10

Thanks to all of you for helping me with this issue. Will a 1988 Southwind with a Chevy 454 tow a vehicle? I'm just getting used to driving the 33' rig. Is towing a vehicle a magnatude more difficult?
Tmargarido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:50 AM   #11

With towing a vehicle you won't even know it's there - power-wise. You'll just have to allow for it in turns. You'd soon get the hang of it.

Personally, we would tow rather than rent cars all the time. We really like to explore the countrysides and getting set up with a rental everyplace we stopped would be a big hassle. Good luck!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 11:10 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Then there is alway the insurance issue.

I had a rental in FL, last year and got caught in a hail storm. As a 1 day deal, I didn't take any extra coverage.

Fortunately, none of the many dents, were bigger than the contract stated, golf ball size.

I would have been on the hook for my own cars, $1000 deductible.
I got caught in a hailstorm in Mississippi with a rental car. Fortunately for me, I used my Visa Gold for the rental. Called Visa and they handled the whole thing. Didn't cost me a dime. $11,000. I did not take extra coverage as I had a rider on my personal vehicle but the deductible was $1000 so I called Visa to see if they covered and sure enough. No questions asked. They did all the investigation and advised me about 3 weeks latter they had settled the claim with the rental company.

Sorry you will have to stand on your head to see the photo. Apple and IRV2 seem to have a conflict at times.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0023.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	237.8 KB
ID:	146704  
Old 12-14-2016, 12:16 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmargarido View Post
Thanks to all of you for helping me with this issue. Will a 1988 Southwind with a Chevy 454 tow a vehicle? I'm just getting used to driving the 33' rig. Is towing a vehicle a magnatude more difficult?
I towed our 2010 Ford Ranger to San Fran. area in California and back from Kamloops, BC. I had the 1993 34 foot Airstream with the 454 then and it dropped the fuel mileage by 1 mpg. and I did notice it on the hills, but not a problem. Also had a bike in the back for the great roads down there! Love #1 along the coast! I drove the rig down #1 from Rockport to San Simeon, and only touched down on one hairpin corner! With the MH hitch, that is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Califoria Holiday Bodega Dunes.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	302.9 KB
ID:	146719  
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 12:34 PM   #14

I highly recommend Enterprise for rentals. I've never used it in conjunction with RVing but have had them pick me up numerous times at repair facilities or at my house. This should be no different. As others have said it's a good idea to reserve ahead and/or to be sure there is an office reasonably close to where you are camping.

Also, the insurance thing - most modern credit cards offer "damage liability waiver" coverage for free. This basically means you're better covered than when driving you're own vehicle. The credit card company will cover your comprehensive or collision deductible if something happens to the car. This assumes you have vehicle insurance coverage that will cover you on rental cars. If you want to just completely leave your own insurance company out of the equation you can purchase the insurance through the rental company but the pricing is usually ridiculous.

One last thing that often burns people at Enterprise - DON'T prepay for the gas at the great price they advertise (usually 50 cents or so below the market). It sounds like a great deal but in order to realize the savings you have to bring the car back totally empty since you've already paid for all that is in the tank. Just fill it up yourself at the last station before bringing it back. Or, I've even just let them fill it up for the terrible price (usually 50 cents above the market) if it's not too empty and/or if I'm running late and don't want to mess with it. The last time I rented in Las Vegas we were running late for our flight so I just had them fill it at the time of return. I hadn't even burned half a tank and it cost somewhere around $3 extra. More than worth it to no have to find a station and stop.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing, travel