RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2018, 09:03 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Locate a ground bar using a schematic print.

I have no cruise and no jake brake. I've done all the checks for each system and even changed the smartwheel module. Every test passes and all the proper signals are sent but "no Joy".

While fixing a burned out tail light, I found the tag axle air solenoid would click on with the hazard lights. I chased that issue and found the tag solenoid shares a ground with the turn and brake systems.

I'm thinking the brake ground issue is also why the cruise and jake don't work.

I have the schematic wiring sheets and see that they do share a grounding bar.

Finally the question...

How do I locate that exact grounding bar?

There is a 2-j2-1 number on the print, but does that help tell me which ground bar it is?
or where it is?
1CoolZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2018, 09:57 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I have not found the coach wiring diagrams to very useful. I think the prints were done more for assembly purposes than for future troubleshooting.

Can you start at the Smartwheel module and trace the ground wire back through the harness?
You said "brake ground issue" so i guess your thinking the brake light switch on treadle valve is not proving a ground signal (or 12V feed signal) to smartwheel.

Maybe start there and run a new ground or trace back through the harness.

On my coach there is a ground bar under the dash, about center in the access panel.

I don't see any "feed" from brake light circuit to smartwheel identified on the smartwheel diagram (although it would make sense to have cruise cancel when you step on the brake). Do you know where the two circuits interact?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	205183  
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 10:06 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I traced the turn signal / brake system because when the flashers are on the Tag axle solenoid is clicking on and off with the flasher.

If the brake lights don't work properly then the cruise and jake won't either.

Then I looked at the tag axle wiring which also goes to a ground bar labeled the same as the ground bar for the turn signals.

The smartwheel print you posted all tested out good for me after the new module was installed. The old one was loose and work sporadically.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:12 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I would expect any brake signals for the smartwheel and jake to come from the "front of coach" (the brake valve/stop light switch) since it is much closer to the electrical bay (and the smartwheel module and jake switch).

The stop lights and turn signal wiring goes through the turn signal switch before it heads to the lights at the back of coach. I'd be looking up front for the problem. But that's just my guess.
Good luck.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 10:14 AM   #5

There was a post with a similar problem revolving around rear lighting relays and their ground wire being left off during a battery replacement .

I'll track it down , if memory serves, it was on a Monaco.

EDIT: Memory not to be trusted , problem was on a Newmar on Spartan chassis, but there may be some useful ideas or info.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/flas...ng-391967.html
Old 06-02-2018, 01:15 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

It's fairly easy to verify whether grounding is the issue - just run a temporary ground to the item(s) in question. The chassis is the ground reference for the chassis 12v system, so any "ground bar" is just a convenient waypoint that is ultimately wired to the chassis somewhere. Run a temporary ground wire to the chassis anywhere you can and see if the problem clears up. If so, continue to work on the ground problem, maybe just by creating a new one. If that doesn't fix it, then search for a different cause.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 05:47 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
It's fairly easy to verify whether grounding is the issue - just run a temporary ground to the item(s) in question. The chassis is the ground reference for the chassis 12v system, so any "ground bar" is just a convenient waypoint that is ultimately wired to the chassis somewhere. Run a temporary ground wire to the chassis anywhere you can and see if the problem clears up. If so, continue to work on the ground problem, maybe just by creating a new one. If that doesn't fix it, then search for a different cause.
I did exactly that
I put a new ground wire to the turn signals and the brake lights too.
The tag axle solenoid still clicks on and off with the flashers

Strangely enough when the key is on the solenoid doesn’t click on at all

I did find the Jake brake issue
The switch plug had 2 wires pushed back in the connector so it looked good but actually wasn’t connected
Old 06-03-2018, 07:44 PM   #8

Nor'easters Club
I'm going to add some information that probably won't help but may explain what to ask for...

A schematic shows the electrical functional circuit. A schematic will show wires, connections etc, but not say where things are.

A wiring diagram shows wires. Where they go, where splices are, where grounds are, which ground wires are connected where.

Now some mix these two, and sometimes schematics show wiring diagram features (such as connectors) too.

---

Now for the original question: it may be difficult to find the ground points. Often they are located in a general area but can be in slightly different places. What I do when tracing circuits is to us a combination of searching (visual) and sometimes wire tracers if I can access one side of the circuit I want to follow.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat