Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2019, 07:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis123 View Post
I use to steal RV 's. Try hitting your emergency window fairly hard at the latch. Sometimes it may jar the latch open. If that does not work break a window that you can crawl into and tell your insurance company about the tree limb that hit your window. PS, i was just kidding about stealing RV's
I'm gonna assume you're kidding about the insurance fraud too.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2019, 07:25 PM   #16

When ours did that I crawled through the drivers side window, but thankfully I had left it unlocked.

Best of luck.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 08:38 PM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
Drill a hole to pull back the bolt then use a pop rivet to close hole.
Locksmith should be able to do that.
Don
Old 03-30-2019, 08:45 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
When this happened to me, I took a pick device ($3 at Harbor Freight) and slid it between the two horizontal sliding windows by the driver side. Once even with the latch, I rotated the pick which flipped the latch, slid the window open and crawled in. The only magic was getting my rear end through the window.
Wingchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 05:01 AM   #19

Op, tell us how did you get in?
Old 03-31-2019, 09:13 AM   #20

Thanks a million for the advice! I now have a few more tools in my head to get in if locked out.

Locksmith spent about 2 hours trying to get in. Ultimately he drilled into the locking mechanism and had to forcefully manipulate the latching parts. Something was definitely broken between the lever and the latch bolt.

Once inside, we removed the latch bolt. Will use the dead bolt to secure the door for the weekend.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:25 AM   #21

next time the emergency window is the easiest and cheapest to replace.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:25 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallow View Post
Thanks a million for the advice! I now have a few more tools in my head to get in if locked out.

Locksmith spent about 2 hours trying to get in. Ultimately he drilled into the locking mechanism and had to forcefully manipulate the latching parts. Something was definitely broken between the lever and the latch bolt.

Once inside, we removed the latch bolt. Will use the dead bolt to secure the door for the weekend.
Thanks for letting us know. Glad it worked out but you sure must have been relieved when you were back inside.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:26 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
I'm gonna assume you're kidding about the insurance fraud too.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 09:29 AM   #24

Anyone who has an RV should not have to drill a hole in this or break that or use a can opener on that other thing. My goodness just call a locksmith and borrow a beer from a neighbor and relax!!!
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 09:36 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Find a drill and bit the size of a large paper clip. Drill a hole in a window frame just below the window lock at a upward angle so you can push the paper clip thru the hole and unlock the window. Stay as far away from the glass as you can and still hit the lock. Absolutely no reason to break a window or destroy anything.

I think that would work on my style.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:43 AM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Locked door at dealership

I took my new to us 2013 Canyon Star to the local Ford dealer. (1 hour away). They were moving it into the bay for service and temporarily parked it blocking their main entrance. Driver got out and left the keys inside with the motor running. High winds that day slammed the door and it locked. They called me to see if I had another set of keys. Since we had just brought it home from Florida we had managed to misplace the 2nd set of keys.

I told them to get a locksmith. As it turned out, a tow truck driver was at the dealership at that time. He had a huge ring of misc keys. He started trying them and one of them opened the door. Problem solved.

Since then, we found the 2nd set of keys and I had another 2 sets made. I hid one of the sets somewhere on the RV, so that I can find them if this ever happens again.

Doesn't make you feel that secure about locking your door. A determined thief can get in any door with a tire iron. I guess the key is to lock your doors and keep your insurance paid up.

Regards,

Jerry
Old 03-31-2019, 09:56 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
For what its worth at this point.

Sometimes the whole door lock panel, will shift a little from many door closings or a hard slam. Both MH's that I own(ed) had a panel on the outside of the door that can be bumped around a little (piece of wood and a striking device) to square it up and release the bind.

I have a hide-a-key and I have a window unlocked, if someone crooked wants in they will break something regardless.
Old 03-31-2019, 11:51 AM   #28
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy View Post
Anyone who has an RV should not have to drill a hole in this or break that or use a can opener on that other thing. My goodness just call a locksmith and borrow a beer from a neighbor and relax!!!
Having a second set of keys or hiring a locksmith is useless if the door lock breaks internally and jambs the door lock mechanism, which is what occurred to the OP. He was lucky enough that they just had to destroy the lock to get the coach open. Hiring a locksmith may also be problematic in places like 80 miles inside a National Park.

****For those in Class C's or Class A's with a power driver's window****

Many of us have tapped into the power window switch and added a second set of wires and ran them to an area where you have battery power and is unlockable with a hide a key, like a storage bay, or to a compartment that has power and no locks. In an emergency, like a broken door lock, you can just power down the driver's window.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote