Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2017, 02:08 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to rccrafters69
Locking rear engine compartment doors/grills

Its probably something that I shouldn't worry about but I do. The rear grills on our rear radiator diesel which provide access to our oil,water, and transmission fills are easily accessed and open to people who may want to cause trouble. Has anyone retrofitted a locking mechanism that they can share? Just adding a lock that makes it a pain to open is not a viable solution.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150827_130056_resized.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	542.9 KB
ID:	176039  
rccrafters69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2017, 02:13 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our old Winnie already has a lock on the grill.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 03:08 PM   #3

The fire department would appreciate it NOT being locked, if there is a fire.

It may help you too, if you caught the fire early enough, and wanted to quickly use your extinguisher.

If your worried, look into locking oil, trans and radatior caps. Heavy equipment use them.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 03:19 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
WE have a lock but never lock it. Never saw a big line of folks standing out there waiting to any harm to my access. As for a fire - locked or not the extinguisher media will get there but not the fire which will be beyond two layers of fins of the radiator and CAC. Much more access to the fire from under the chassis. It's open.
by the time any fire company get to you they will be putting out a losing battle anyway.
Old 09-09-2017, 03:43 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We don't lock any of the lower and outside compartments. The stuff inside is not worth what it would cost fix/replace just 1 door. Besides we carry minimal stuff, they ain't getting much.
Old 09-09-2017, 04:36 PM   #6

I doubt it would matter much to fire fighters, I have a friend that owns a tow truck business. Several (15+) years ago I was over visiting him at his impound yard and noticed many of the cars there had their hoods mangled. When I asked him about it he told me the local fire department had a new policy of disconnecting the battery on vehicles at accidents if they were called out (fuel spill, paramedic, etc.). Apparently their policy was it was too dangerous to open the door and use the hood release as it might generate a spark, so instead they would take pry bar to the hood in order to disconnect the battery.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 05:03 PM   #7

I can't really imagine anything being robust enough to offer much comfort for you regarding security. I could defeat every engine door of every coach I've had practically with my bare hands or certainly with minimum tools in minutes.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 06:01 PM   #8

I agree with all the posts to a degree, but if every other compartment has a locking mechanism whether it is good or not, why doesn't the engine compartment have one. Gas motorhomes do. Just doesn't make sense to be wide open. Not probable something would happen to ruin your engine, but if some person in the Walmart parking lot wanted to ruin your day it would be easy.
Old 09-09-2017, 11:38 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We stay over at Wally's place exclusively and have never heard of anyone doing anything to a MH. No one ever comes near us there and we would hear them anyway. You have a greater loss from poor manufacturing practice of using two side tape to hold the damn door to the hinge. Ask anyone who lost the rear grill. The only thing that is in my compartment is the radiator cap and oil fill and fluid resinous. I look at them every morning before leaving.
Old 09-10-2017, 12:18 AM   #10

Very careful to lock the Do Do Door, I ain't want no one stealing my sh*t!

If someone really wants you stuff , no lock is strong enough. Paranoid is never prepared and lackadaisical is too relaxed.

An old boat wasn't worth it to them and I couldn't keep them off the newer one
Old 09-10-2017, 07:37 AM   #11

My Bounder has a lock and I never lock it.
littlebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 08:09 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrafters69 View Post
Its probably something that I shouldn't worry about but I do. The rear grills on our rear radiator diesel which provide access to our oil,water, and transmission fills are easily accessed and open to people who may want to cause trouble. Has anyone retrofitted a locking mechanism that they can share? Just adding a lock that makes it a pain to open is not a viable solution.

The only reason we lock anything is so when bumping down the road nothing comes open. Don't know if that helps, but so far nothing has come open while driving. As for locks, they are only meant to key honest people honest, never able to keep a good thief out.
RM travelers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 09:45 AM   #13

Interesting comments. We have had two trailers we owned broken into while in outside storage in the last 20 years. Both times we lost items and there was damage done just to be nasty. We currently park this one inside a secure building. Unfortunately, not all areas have honest people or individuals that won't do anything for a few $. Nothing is impenetrable, but sometimes a little resistance will deter thieves looking for a few $. I keep all my doors locked even when parked in the driveway.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:53 AM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I added locks to our '02 DSDP. Found some chrome locking hasp style locks and put one on each side of the door. The lock was built into the hasp and looked factory.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, engine